Magnesol use

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 09:55 PM
Tom D
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Magnesol use

Hey Don.
I ran out of Magnesol and need to order more. I read on Utah Biodiesel that they don't like Magnesol and recommend using towers and Thermax and Eco2 Pure. What's your take on that? Are you still using Magnesol?
Incidently, I still am not recovering methanol to speak of. I vaporized 40 gals of bio and 10 gals of glycerol and only recovered about a cup of methanol. Heated to 180, vaporized, and ran it through a condensor. Oh well, some day I may figure out why it isn't working.
One more question. After SLOWLY mixing the magnesol, letting settle,and skimming the BD off the top, I leave the Magnesol in the barrel and add more to it fot the next batch. I finally scrape the old Magnesol off the bottom after about six batches. Any problem with that? I hand stir the old stuff into the new stuff and mix.
I see Magnesol is almost $100 for a 45 lb bag. Is that right?
Hope you are well. How is the trailer coming along?
Regards, Tom

Old 04-21-2009, 10:10 PM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tom D
I read on Utah Biodiesel that they don't like Magnesol and recommend using towers and Thermax and Eco2 Pure.
Saw that on the newsletter too. I wonder if they are using the wrong pumps and an having it ground up in the pump then having problems filtering. I really was pleased with the results of my Magnesol experiment... I used a 25/10/1 combination of bag filters. What the opinion on these other products?

Old 04-23-2009, 01:04 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Hey Don.
I ran out of Magnesol and need to order more. I read on Utah Biodiesel that they don't like Magnesol and recommend using towers and Thermax and Eco2 Pure. What's your take on that? Are you still using Magnesol?
Incidently, I still am not recovering methanol to speak of. I vaporized 40 gals of bio and 10 gals of glycerol and only recovered about a cup of methanol. Heated to 180, vaporized, and ran it through a condensor. Oh well, some day I may figure out why it isn't working.
One more question. After SLOWLY mixing the magnesol, letting settle,and skimming the BD off the top, I leave the Magnesol in the barrel and add more to it fot the next batch. I finally scrape the old Magnesol off the bottom after about six batches. Any problem with that? I hand stir the old stuff into the new stuff and mix.
Hope you are well. How is the trailer coming along?
Regards, Tom

Most problems people have with Magnesol is because most of them are using an appleseed style of processor and are pumping the Magnesol "mix" through their centrifugal pump. A centrifugal pump will not give good results, so they "bad-mouth" the Magnesol, not their pump! I still use Magnesol, and have tried the "resins" but don't like how slooooowly they work. Yes you can leave the used Magnesol in your tank for several batches. The price of Magnesol is around $100/bag, but the results, and speed of cleaning makes it worthwhile in my opinion. My new processing trailer is finished, and I'm acquiring the rest of the "parts" to build the rest of the system. I have 5 farms under contract for the new Co-Op, the canola is growing, and we should start producing bio about Nov! My new service company is is growing and I've had to hire a couple of mechanics to keep up with the growing demand. I've been off-line for about a week because I pulled my back muscles last weekend, and my Dr can't see me until this afternoon.................Winter was tooooo long, sure glad spring is finally here!

Old 04-23-2009, 07:21 PM
Tom D
Elder User
Originally Posted by fabmandelux
Most problems people have with Magnesol is because most of them are using an appleseed style of processor and are pumping the Magnesol "mix" through their centrifugal pump. A centrifugal pump will not give good results, so they "bad-mouth" the Magnesol, not their pump! I still use Magnesol, and have tried the "resins" but don't like how slooooowly they work. Yes you can leave the used Magnesol in your tank for several batches. The price of Magnesol is around $100/bag, but the results, and speed of cleaning makes it worthwhile in my opinion. My new processing trailer is finished, and I'm acquiring the rest of the "parts" to build the rest of the system. I have 5 farms under contract for the new Co-Op, the canola is growing, and we should start producing bio about Nov! My new service company is is growing and I've had to hire a couple of mechanics to keep up with the growing demand. I've been off-line for about a week because I pulled my back muscles last weekend, and my Dr can't see me until this afternoon.................Winter was tooooo long, sure glad spring is finally here!
Glad to hear about your progress on the trailer. Thanks for the update on Magnesol. I will order a bag tonight. Tom

Old 04-23-2009, 07:25 PM
Tom D
Elder User
I used a 25/10/1 combination of bag filters. What the opinion on these other products?[/quote]
I let my Magnesol settle for a minimum of 24 hours then skim the bio off the top through a 5/1/1 absolute. Works great. Tom

Old 04-26-2009, 02:12 PM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

I used a 25/10/1 combination of bag filters. What the opinion on these other products?
I let my Magnesol settle for a minimum of 24 hours then skim the bio off the top through a 5/1/1 absolute. Works great. Tom[/quote]

I will probably do the same thing for now. Need to order Magnesol...

Old 04-29-2009, 10:28 AM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

Is that from Fryerpower? Is this the cheapest source, I am looking to order 45 lbs myself. Dallas group hasn't returned my e-mail. thanks

Old 04-29-2009, 10:38 AM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Right now Fryerpower is the only place to buy it, unless you want to buy a semi load from Dallas Group......................

Old 04-29-2009, 11:40 AM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

Right now Fryerpower is the only place to buy it, unless you want to buy a semi load from Dallas Group......................
that would explain why they haven't got back to me... thanks. Will get some ordered hopefully today.

Old 04-30-2009, 07:01 PM
Tom D
Elder User
Why is a 50# bag with a bottle of Phenol less expensive than a 45# bag alone?
Too busy to reply to you and Phydeaux right now. Will reply when I have more time to "hash it over". Thanks to both of you for your interest in my condensor problem.
Tom

Old 05-02-2009, 08:40 PM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

Out of my 35-37 gallon batches, I get about 1 - 1.5 gallon of methanol. I am using the "plumbers delight" condensor, which is about 4' long. I wonder if maybe yours isn't long enough to cool the vapor to get condensation? It the output of fliud cool?

Old 05-16-2009, 08:48 AM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

Why is a 50# bag with a bottle of Phenol less expensive than a 45# bag alone?
Just got my order in. The response that I got from Fryerpower when I sent him an email is that he no longer does 45 lb bags.

Just wondering, is Magnesol hydroscopic enought that once I open the bag, it needs to be sealed back up in a garbage bag or something? how do you guys store it?

thanks

Old 05-17-2009, 10:09 AM
Tom D
Elder User
Originally Posted by Trent Fliginger
Just got my order in. The response that I got from Fryerpower when I sent him an email is that he no longer does 45 lb bags.

Just wondering, is Magnesol hydroscopic enought that once I open the bag, it needs to be sealed back up in a garbage bag or something? how do you guys store it?

thanks
I leave mine in the original bag and box it came in and just roll up the end when I get some out. I use a plastic coffee can and scoop out what I need into a plastic zip lok bag.I live in a very humid climate and never had a problem. I leave it in the garage. Be careful and do not breathe the dust when you are handling it.
Be sure to MIX SLOWLY.
Tom

Old 05-17-2009, 11:18 AM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

Thanks Tom!

I leave mine in the original bag and box it came in and just roll up the end when I get some out. I use a plastic coffee can and scoop out what I need into a plastic zip lok bag.I live in a very humid climate and never had a problem. I leave it in the garage. Be careful and do not breathe the dust when you are handling it.
Be sure to MIX SLOWLY.
Tom
Sounds like a plan, just wanted to make sure I didn't do something dumb and waste $126... Probably should get a dust mask too, didn't think of that...

Old 05-19-2009, 07:33 AM
Gun-Driver
Senior User
Speaking of prices.... my supplier just quoted me 117.00 for 55 lbs of KOH.
What are you guys paying???

Quick Reply: Magnesol use