Lightning, Harley-Davidson F-150, Roush F-150 & Saleen F-150 SVT Ford F150 Lightning, Roush, Saleen and other performance F150's

I WANT TO BUY A LIGHTNING.....A FEW QUESTIONS THOUGH

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2000, 01:38 AM
PHAT_J
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I WOULD LIKE TO BUY A 1ST GEN LIGHTNING. I FOUND A 95 WITH 61K ON IT...IS 14K TO MUCH TO PAY? WHAT KIND OF PERFORMANCE CAN I EXPECT WHILE STOCK? (I.E. 1/4 MILE TIMES). ALL HELP IS APPRECIATED.
THANK YOU
JASON

Old 01-20-2000, 12:05 AM
ford383w
New User

im also going to buy a early model lighting. does any body know of any web sites for the lighting's. or of any clubs?????? thanks

Old 03-04-2000, 10:06 PM
GloriaR

As the original owner of a 94 Lightning (#973), which just turned over 100,000 miles, all I can say is..... Go For It !!!!

A stock 1st gen will run 15.4's to 15.6's in the quarter, and 7.2 seconds 0-60. They will pull .89g's.

The only modification I have to my truck is a Superchip and a K&N. At the track, with ****ty response times, I would run 15.2-15.4 time after time.

I have towed extreme weights many times (up to 7500 lbs), with complete ease and reliability. Even when towing 7500lbs I still averaged 10-11 mpg (hehe, new Chevy 2500 with 6.0 (300hp), averages 8mpg towing 6500lb trailer).

Thus far the only repairs I have made are the serpentine belt, idler and tensioner, and front shocks. Other than that, routine maint...... oil, tranny service, brakes, cooling flush. NOTHING has ever gone wrong, and the truck has NEVER left me stranded. I have never even had a flat tire. Even at 100,000 miles she eats NO oil. Even the tires have been lasting my 50,000 miles on average.

While I want a new Lightning, I will never get rid of my old friend. She looks great, hauls ***, corners better than most sports cars, tows ridiculous weights easily, and is reliable as hell.

You can never go wrong with a Lightning.
Sorry so long

Gloria
94 F150 Lightning (just turned over 100,000 miles)
93 EB Explorer (highly modified)

Old 08-11-2000, 11:56 PM
Koepke
New User

Mine is white with factory premium sound with cd, center seat, and is in very good condition. IT has 69,000 miles and is all stock except for a K&N filter. I am asking $12,000 for it. I need to sell it to make room for kids (don't ever get married). Email me if interested at jkoepke@conpoint.com

thanks.
Jason Koepke

Old 08-13-2000, 09:30 AM
maverick113
New User

I was wondering if you have a brochure for the first gen lightnings. I am having a heated dispute with one of my co-workers over the power train in that truck.

He says that the first gen lightnings came from the factory with Superchargers factory installed.

I keep telling him he doesn't know what the heck he's talking about! And that the only lightnings to ever come with a factory installed supercharger are the 1999 and newer ones.

This dispute came about because I am waiting for my 2001 Lightning to get here and he told me that I could get the same performance out of a first gen truck without spending the $31 thousand for a new one.

Even a picture of a Bone Stock first generation Lightning engine compartment would help.

Old 12-29-2000, 03:44 PM
ktorpey
New User

I have a 1994 SVT White Lightning and bought it used.

You are correct in that they did not come with superchargers.
Mine is modified so I can't send you a picture. My truck has elbrock performer heads, crane roller rockers, steeda camshaft, Pro-M Mass Air Kit(2nd computer), K&N filter, reduction pulleys, steeda lowering kit, tonneau cover.

I have an original spec sheet in color from Ford that I can fax you.

I also have a F150 5.8 Liter vs F150 Lightning comparison chart showing all the goodies like:

Aluninum Drive Shaft
1" drop in front, 1.5" drop in rear
17" tire/rims
special seats (recarro I was told)
4:10 rear
351 "R" motor
Sway bar
Thicker frame that regular F150 (was told it is a F250 frame)
GT40 heads w/bigger valve openings than stock f150.
GT40 Intake
Lightning Plenum
Front Spoiler w/ Bosch Fog Lights
etc ...

Old 02-04-2001, 09:32 PM
shimp_33
New User

FOR THE FIRST QUESTION I AGREE BUY AN OLDER LIGHTNING, I RECENTLY JUST BOUGHT ONE AND I WAS SKETCHY ABOUT BEING HAPPY WITH ITS PERFORMANCE... I WAS SURPRISED IT HAS A SHIFT KIT,K&N AIR FILTER,UNDERDRIVE PULLEYS AND IM IN THE LOW 14s. I RACED A FRIEND WITH A NEW LIGHTNING AND NEITHER OF US PULLED ON EACH OTHER HE WAS VERY SURPRISED AND IT LEFT ME HAPPY BUT IM NOW LOOKIN FOR A SUPERCHARGER IF ANYONE HAS ONE ON THEIR LATER MODEL LIGHTNING GIVE ME AN EMAIL ON HOW THEY LIKE IT.. I WOULD APPRECIATE IT......... shimp-33(No Email Addresses In Posts!) thanks jim

Old 02-21-2001, 05:51 PM
skjprk
New User

Jason,
I have a 93 lightning. I bought it about a year ago. Before I bought it I was a diehard chevy guy. Once I drove it I had to have it. As far as performance, my truck is not totaly stock but it isnt radical. All that I have changed is the air filter to a K&N filter, underdriven pullies, and an exhaust. I'm beating a stock 5.0 in the quater. As for the price, that truck sounds worth it. I payed 12k for mine and I bought it with 82k miles.
They seem to hold there value well. I hope Ive helped you. If you to know anything more you can email me at skjprk@peoplepc.com
Scott

Old 04-05-2001, 03:08 PM
double d
New User

i just bought my '94 lightning about a year ago. i'm as happy with a truck as anybody could be. im even happier now cause i see all you guys buyin the older lightnings for $14,000 and i picked mine up for only $8,800. but it does have more miles on it but if you take care of them they will last forever.

Old 04-26-2001, 08:26 PM
speedbump
New User

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 28-Apr-01 AT 11:49 AM (EST) by webmaster (admin)[/font][p]XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XX

Old 04-28-2001, 10:49 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

When you registered you agreed to our guidelines. No ads in the message boards. Please use our classifieds.

Thanks,
Ken Payne
Ford Truck Enthusiasts Admin

Old 05-14-2001, 08:47 PM
fastfordboys
New User

I was wondering how to tell if a certain truck is really a lightning or just an F-150. I know that they have stickers and 17" wheels, but do they have a special vin # or anything like that? The reason I ask is that I went and looked at one today and I'm not sure if it is a real lightning or not. The one I looked at today had dual gas tanks and it didn't say lightning anywhere on the dash,and I don't think it had a factory tachometer( I don't know if they have factory tachs or not). If you could help me I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

Old 05-14-2001, 09:19 PM
ford383w
New User

look at the 8th didget in the vin number it should be a
"R"....hope this helps, mike

Old 05-15-2001, 10:01 AM
fmos racing
Junior User

They don't have Lightning on the dash, and they do have a factory tach and dual fuel tanks. And like was mentioned, the 8th digit in the VIN should be an "R."

The seats have Lightning embroidered on them.

Some other Lightning-specific items that don't normally get copied:

-There's a half-leaf slapper bar in the rear springs
-The rear diff has cooling fins cast into the front of the pumpkin
-Lightnings have a 4" aluminum driveshaft
-If the differential tag is on, it should read "Synthetic fluid only."
-Speedometer reads higher than a normal F-150 (I think it goes to 120, but I can't look at my truck right now)

Later!
Jeff S.
Lightning #74 in '95 - 11.92@115.2
Lightning #582 in '00 - 13.36@101.75

Old 05-15-2001, 09:45 PM
wthur
New User

You can tell a L just by looking at it, front back or sideways.
This is true for gen 1 or gen 2. The only ones that look like an L are the Harley and to some extent the stx {4X4} here are 4 pic of my 94 you can tell.
Later
Walt

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1683108&a=12914092&p=48421931

Quick Reply: I WANT TO BUY A LIGHTNING.....A FEW QUESTIONS THOUGH