Arizona Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Need a lil help

Old 04-21-2009, 10:55 AM
PilotRob
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need a lil help

I think I'll have to be the Question Guy, since I'm certainly not the Answer Guy ...

1) If I do a flush on my cooling system, is it legal to do it at my house, or do I need to reclaim & recycle all the old stuff?

2) My wife's Hyundai keeps blowing the fuse for the cigarette lighter / accessory outlet. After the first blown fuse, I told her to only plug in her cell charger and/or GPS when she needed them, and not leave them plugged all the time. Well, within a matter of days, the fuse was blown again. Any thoughts on where to start looking for a resolution? We're hoping to sell her car soon, but I would like things to be in working order for the new owner.

Thanks!

Old 04-21-2009, 02:48 PM
bigunred
Elder User
Ive always got as much of the anti freeze out as i could to recycle then filled and flushed the system with water and flush chems. then drained. as far as legal I dunno.

the hundia,
i would try a size larger fuse and see, if it still blows the socket may be shorting out at the bottom where the positve terminal is. Good luck and sorry i couldnt be more help.

Old 04-21-2009, 05:54 PM
Michael Gosline
Junior User
The wireing for the cigarette lighter should be a fairly short and direct run. Check along the line for a shorting/frayed wire.

Adding a "bigger" fuse can easily risk a fire.

If you can't find something obvious, just leave it dead (assuming its not interfering with anything else) and tell the buyer it doesn't work and offer $100 off if he has a problem with that.

Or do what I do when I had problems with a car... trade it in and don't tell the dealership anything!! Grin.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:00 PM
helifixer
Lead Driver
Received 3,626 Likes on 1,118 Posts
I don't know of any epa laws about anti freeze, i always save mine and run it in tractor tires for weight so I have never had to worry about recycling. as for flushing before you fill back up with anti freeze you need to flush with distilled water to get all the salt and calcium from the city water out of the system.
the electrical problem well you being a pilot and me being an A&P IA all I can say is "welcome to my world" (jk) start at the problem and work back to the source, also find everything on that circuit and isolate them one at a time to be sure what is blowing the fuse

Old 04-22-2009, 12:09 AM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rob is this a power source or a Cig lighter? Because these new cig lighters won't work for GPS/phones very well. Most of the newer cars have power source plug ins that are heavier duty for charging purposes.
As for the Anti freeze I save mine & reuse it or give it to my buddy that has about 100 cars. He uses it in one of the 11 or 12 that he drives regularly. I don't know the EPA law but remember it is a poison for animals & small children.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:27 AM
PilotRob
Elder User
Thanks everyone for all of the great info. I'd throw some good rep points your way, but apparently I haven't spread them around enough yet.

I never thought about a quick rinse with distilled water. I will have to grab some.

Regarding the electrical, there's a cigarette lighter AND power point attached to the same fuse. My wife rarely uses the lighter for power. I'll be using her car tomorrow so I'll start playing. I also want to plug the toys into my Bronc and see what they do there, just in case it's the toy that's causing the issue.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:56 PM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yea good idea Rob. If it isn't the toy then I would think the plug is bad. If a wire was shorted I would think it would blow the fuse no matter what. But what just hit my pea brain was a bad ground. Check the ground try a jumper from a good ground to the plug & see if the trouble continues. I keep forgetting that these computer cars BAD GROUNDS are 99% of the electrical problems.
Craig