Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-20-2009, 11:18 PM
New User

rickmbF150 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Programmers for 2008 Superduty

Has anyone used a power programmer on the 2008 F250 6.4 diesel? If so, have you had any problems? My dad is contemplating getting one but he wanted me to research it first and see if anyone had had any problems out of them. I think hes interested in the bully dog and the edge evolution...Thanks in advance, Rick
Old 04-20-2009, 11:26 PM
Spend now... worry later!

jimd1050 has a good reputation on FTE.jimd1050 has a good reputation on FTE.jimd1050 has a good reputation on FTE.
https://www.facebook.com/JustTruckin.net
Banks Six Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmbF150 View Post
Has anyone used a power programmer on the 2008 F250 6.4 diesel? If so, have you had any problems? My dad is contemplating getting one but he wanted me to research it first and see if anyone had had any problems out of them. I think hes interested in the bully dog and the edge evolution...Thanks in advance, Rick
Hi Rick - one thing's for sure; you're going to get a ton of opinions on these forums. I just installed my Banks Six Gun today - haven't had a lot of time to test but I think it's the best for what I wanted to do. At "Max Output", position 6 on their switch, it yields 100+ additional Horsepower and 220+ additional lbs ft of torque. The best part is, you don't have to mess with your DPF (emissions filter) - they make clean horsepower (You watch, I'm going to regret saying that). Some guys feel Spartan tuners are the best... I'll stick with what I've got for now. Just my opinion... watch the "Banks Six Gun" thread on here:

Banks Six Gun - Diesel Forum - The Diesel Stop.com

Read, read, read...
- Traded
http://www.justtruckin.net/pages/mytruck.html

Old 04-21-2009, 12:50 AM
Post Fiend

Pocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant future
If you want insanely cheap power, Spartan with a DPF delete will get you over 500hp at the rear wheels and well into the 13's in the 1/4 mile.
478hp/851tq on Haller's dyno - 7/28/12
Coming Soon: 2015 F-250 4x4 CC/SB 6.7L Lariat
Old 04-21-2009, 07:43 AM
Post Fiend

tex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud of
Quote:

Your really going to want something with custom tunes. As these trucks get more and more advanced with computers, just being able to "plug and play" isn't the best thing anymore. Your bullydog, edge, and banks are not the best things out there. The first two have a horrible reputation with the torqshift transmission(I had bullydog before I switched to custom tunes). Banks isn't as clear cut with it's issues, but one thing that they all have in common(unless they have come out with different units and changed everything, which I doubt) is that they do not totally reprogram the PCM and TCM, which isn't good for these newer trucks.

I would get the Spartan tuner myself, but atleast whatever you get make sure it can do custom tunes.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:14 AM
Posting Guru

caprang is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The bully dog, Edge, and Banks basicaly fool the sensors of the truck in order to make it do different things. They dont control the transmission and IMO its not good to add HP to the engine and not address the trans too. Its just my 2 cents that these products are more like band aids but realize their goal is to get around reprogramming the PCM so this is the only way to do that. Banks just came out and not enough info yet. In the 6.4 forum there are posts about 2 trucks that ran the edge and had problems (and voided warranties). Never heard of anyone running the BD.

Spartan and SCT are by far the favorite choice if you do any research. They reprogram the PCM rather than trying to fool the sensors. Because of this they can make more power and address the trans at the same time. They also have gauges to monitor everything, can adjust for bigger tires, set up alarms, etc. Because the program the PCM you also have the option to remove the DPF which is where most of your gain will come from in mpg. You can NOT remove the DPF without a custom tuner.

Final thoughts - ANY tuner is against the Ford warranty policy. If Ford finds out about the tuner your warranty is gone. Running a Banks, BD or Edge is bound to fill the DPF quicker and cause it to fail quicker. Dont expect Ford to replace the $1,700 filter on their dime because you ran a tuner. Removal of the DPF is also a warranty issue as well as an EPA issue.

Im not discouraging you from a tuner. I think they are great. But way too many people cry "I didnt know" when Ford voids their warranty. Some will try to hide the evidence of a tuner but personally I think you should be responsible for your own actions. You know the risk going in to it so why bother trying to stick one up Fords but because you didnt follow their rules. Again, I am a fan of tuners but educate yourself and be responsible before making a final decision.
Job #3 build, 2" leveling kit, rear air bags, smoked cab lights and mirror lenses
Old 04-21-2009, 10:26 AM
Posting Guru

Lubbockguy1979 has a good reputation on FTE.Lubbockguy1979 has a good reputation on FTE.Lubbockguy1979 has a good reputation on FTE.
As far as tuners go the spartan is the hardest to detect and has the most options. They have towing tunes all the way to corvette killer. Keep in mind that ford is catching on and I have heard that the computer is now gathering regen data the number of cycles the number of failed regens etc. Ford is aware of the tuners and as stated above is trying every way they can to cover them selves for warranty purposes. If that isn't a issue for your dad then he will love the power and the improved economy.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:09 PM
New User

rickmbF150 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks for all the input guys...Talkin to my dad, he is happy with the power but doesn't like the poor fuel economy of this 6.4. Any recommendations for just increasing economy? We are new to diesel engines...
Old 04-21-2009, 04:58 PM
Post Fiend

tex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Thanks for all the input guys...Talkin to my dad, he is happy with the power but doesn't like the poor fuel economy of this 6.4. Any recommendations for just increasing economy? We are new to diesel engines...

Spartan's tuner has had some good mileage improvements. If you manage to get ahold of Matt tell him Evan sent you. He would be able to set you up with tunes with mileage in mind. He has someone working the phone lines now that's new and I don't know him all that much because I typically call Matt directly and I've only talked to the newbie once, but if you get ahold of Matt tell him I sent you.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:35 PM
Posting Guru

Only good way to gain mpg is by removing the DPF or only traveling DOWN hill. The EPA killed the economy of these trucks. You can baby it as much as possible, drive a few mph slower but in general you wont see much gain until your DPF is laying in the corner of your shed.
Job #3 build, 2" leveling kit, rear air bags, smoked cab lights and mirror lenses
Old 04-22-2009, 01:22 AM
New User

ArkansasContractor is starting off with a positive reputation.
Dpf

Quote:
Originally Posted by caprang View Post
Only good way to gain mpg is by removing the DPF or only traveling DOWN hill. The EPA killed the economy of these trucks. You can baby it as much as possible, drive a few mph slower but in general you wont see much gain until your DPF is laying in the corner of your shed.
What is DPF?
Old 04-22-2009, 08:08 AM
Posting Guru

Diesel Particulate Filter - its a filter in the exhaust system for all trucks made after January 2007. In the case of the Ford, all 6.4 engines. Its a ceramic filter and its purpose is to trap all the soot from the engine which is why these new diesels dont smoke. There are 3 sensors on this filter that determine when the filter is full of soot and the engine is then programmed to inject fuel on the exhaust stroke in order to raise Exhaust Gas Temp (EGT) up to 1,400 degrees and burn off the soot in the filter. This is called a regen.

The result of this process is poor mpg partly because a diesel loves to breath and a ceramic filter isnt exactly what you call high flow. Secondly, because of the extra fuel dumped in the engine to burn off the soot. Thats fuel going out the tailpipe that did nothing towards making power/energy in the engine.

Removing this filter helps the engine breath but without the programming from a tuner the factory computer will still go in to a default regen even though the sensors dont detect any restriction from soot. Once it starts this regen it will continuously do it. The tuners basically disable the regen process.

The EPA wants cleaner emissions but we are using 20-40% more fuel to accomplish it so Im not sure that anybody really won.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:08 AM