Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Competition
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Competition Diesel racing, sleds, dynos, power tuning and max performance.

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-19-2009, 07:56 PM
Postmaster

Saleenguy has a very good reputation on FTE.Saleenguy has a very good reputation on FTE.Saleenguy has a very good reputation on FTE.Saleenguy has a very good reputation on FTE.
1967 chevy half ton tranny swap question

I am looking at buying a decent condition 1967 chevy half ton, 2 wheel drive.

It has a 3 speed manual, column shift.
The linkage is worn, and the tranny leaks, and its got a poor range of gears anyways.
Anyone have any idea if any 4 speed, floor shifts are fairly easy to transfer to this truck.

Its all stock currently, including the 327 V8 motor.

Thanks
I am Marty, Official Slackmaster #13.
Also proud to have a great wife, and 2 sometimes wonderful kids.

BC Chapter Member, also Nebraska, SC, NC, Wyoming, Maryland, NY, Mass, Oregon, NH, WI, Sask/Manitoba Chapters because the people are great....I can always join more, so if you want me just invite me.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:00 PM
Post Fiend

tin-man is a name known to alltin-man is a name known to alltin-man is a name known to alltin-man is a name known to alltin-man is a name known to alltin-man is a name known to all
How many wheels does it have? Just Kidding Marty

Join the SC chapter HERE
Master Slacker#12
True compassion puts love in action
Old 04-19-2009, 08:11 PM
Admin Emeritus

SteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputation
A Muncie or a Saginaw shouldn't be much problem to put in there.
Join our Chapter *HERE*
9/21/54 - 9/25/09
Old 04-19-2009, 08:18 PM
Postmaster

Saleenguy has a very good reputation on FTE.Saleenguy has a very good reputation on FTE.Saleenguy has a very good reputation on FTE.Saleenguy has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tin-man View Post
How many wheels does it have? Just Kidding Marty

FIVE.

5.........4 are in good shape, the spares a little rough.

BC Chapter Member, also Nebraska, SC, NC, Wyoming, Maryland, NY, Mass, Oregon, NH, WI, Sask/Manitoba Chapters because the people are great....I can always join more, so if you want me just invite me.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:21 PM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBricks View Post
A Muncie or a Saginaw shouldn't be much problem to put in there.

Thanks Steve.
Any particular ones I need to look for?

since this sort of work is not my general shop work, is there complete kits to do so?

Old 04-19-2009, 08:29 PM
Admin Emeritus

SteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputation
I don't know if there are kits to do it or not, Marty. It seems to me there would be - they make them for most everything these days.

This link shows the ratio differences in a couple of the different Muncie transmissions.

Muncie 4 Speed Identification

These tend to be a little more pricey than the Saginaw transmissions. Especially the M-22's.
Join our Chapter *HERE*
9/21/54 - 9/25/09
Old 04-19-2009, 08:43 PM
Postmaster

Quote:
I don't know if there are kits to do it or not, Marty. It seems to me there would be - they make them for most everything these days.

This link shows the ratio differences in a couple of the different Muncie transmissions.

Muncie 4 Speed Identification

These tend to be a little more pricey than the Saginaw transmissions. Especially the M-22's.

Thats awesome , thanks so much.

I am NOT knowledgeable on those old chevy trucks.

Its pretty clean for a 42 year old truck.
It nneds lots of work, but most of it is just straight forward fixing, the tranny is the thing i want to actually swap out for something totally different.
1st is rather too tall, and 3rd is still too low.
And wow is it puking out the gear oil badly.
I had not driven a 3 in the tree for years, and could barely shift it with all the slop in the linkage, and it sort of jams on the 1 to 2 upshift.

Old 04-19-2009, 09:08 PM
Post Fiend

tin-man is a name known to alltin-man is a name known to alltin-man is a name known to alltin-man is a name known to alltin-man is a name known to alltin-man is a name known to all
I thought I was on the FORD site, what's up with the chevy, sorry I did'nt mean to cuss!!
Hey Steve

Join the SC chapter HERE
Master Slacker#12
Old 04-19-2009, 09:10 PM
Post Fiend

I noticed your Sig and I don't see the SC Chapter listed there?

Join the SC chapter HERE
Master Slacker#12
Old 04-19-2009, 09:13 PM
Postmaster

Quote:
I thought I was on the FORD site, what's up with the chevy, sorry I did'nt mean to cuss!!
Hey Steve

It actually a cool truck, took it for a test drive today.
Its a neat truck, that with some work will be a fun summer drive truck I think.
I just want to know before i make him an offer if its reasonable to swap out the tranny for a floor shift 4 speed....or if i have to keep the 3 speed column shifter?
And if i have to keep the 3 speed, how hard is it to fix the leaks, and repair the linkage so it can be shifted okay.

Old 04-19-2009, 09:17 PM
Admin Emeritus

I think you might have better luck with this in the General Automotive Conversation forum Marty. There's a lot more folks looking at that one, and I'm sure you'll get someone who knows about what you're trying to do.
Join our Chapter *HERE*
9/21/54 - 9/25/09
Old 04-19-2009, 09:21 PM
Postmaster

Quote:
I noticed your Sig and I don't see the SC Chapter listed there?

I will get on that David.

Old 04-19-2009, 09:22 PM
Postmaster

Quote:
I think you might have better luck with this in the General Automotive Conversation forum Marty. There's a lot more folks looking at that one, and I'm sure you'll get someone who knows about what you're trying to do.

Thanks Steve, I will post the question over there as well.

Appreciate all your help.

Old 04-19-2009, 10:08 PM
Post Fiend

You all hold it down, I hear the bed calling me. I enjoyed talking to you all, see you tomorrow. Good night!

Join the SC chapter HERE
Master Slacker#12
Old 11-16-2009, 01:52 PM
Senior User

perky is starting off with a positive reputation.
It might be cheaper finding a 5sp out of a camro than a good muncie.They are going realy high.

Dale
Old 11-16-2009, 01:52 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Competition

Tags
1967, 1999, 67, chevy, ford, half, identification, link, reviews, sale, speed, suggest, ton, trannys, truck, trucks