I built a 400 for low-end torque

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 01:47 AM
nut behind the wheel
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I built a 400 for low-end torque

I'm kind of sneaking into this forum, as I own a '76 Ford LTD Country Squire, but it does weigh a little over 5,000 lbs. (and uses F-150 spring rate front coil springs!), and it has a FMX (I think) three speed auto. trans., driving a 2:76:1 rear axle ratio rear end. In essence, the engine needs all the the low-end torque it can muster to accelerate this weight from a stop with the highway gearing it has. In stock trim, the car would accelerate, but it wasn't brisk. After reading about how the 400 engine was a stroked 351W, to improve low-end torque, and how the cylinder heads were derived from the excellent flowing 351W heads, I wanted to build an engine that took advantage of what appeared to be in theory the tremendous low-end of this engine, but what lowering NOX emissions requirements of the day compromised by severely retarding cam timing, ignition timing and recycling so much exhaust gas into the intake that the engine surged going down the highway, even when fully warm.

Basically all I did was change the timing gear set, all the valve-train assemblies, (Higher lift of the new Crane cam made stock rocker arms, etc. possibly inadequate) the cam and lifters,had the heads rebuilt (they didn't really need it, but figured didn't want to do this a second time), and street ported with combustion chambers cleaned up. The guy who ported the heads races Fords with Ford engines, and he said that the ports on these 400 heads were a great design for flow - straight shots right to and from the valve bowl area. The cam Crane recommended was 192 degrees intake duration - shorter that the stock cam! But If figured they knew what they were talking about when they evaluated the weight and rear end gearing of the car, and were maximizing low-end. I didn't increase the compression of 8.4:1 because the very short duration of this cam only allows for up to 8.75:1 compression. This is due to effective compression and BMEP (Brake Mean Effective Pressure) being quite high already - so the cam's "short" profile is creating maximum pressure (for what can be achieved with pump gas octane) on the piston, and generating maximum "grunt". More compression would get more power, but it would also require beyond pump octane fuel - not reasonable for day to day driving, but in a race or off-road application, the gains could be even greater.

It got kind of expensive at about $3,500.00 spent - it was about $2,000.00 for the heads alone, $800 for the porting/combustion chamber work, and $1,100.00 for the magnafluxing and complete rebuild of the heads with new valves. I re-used the stock 2BBl. carb, intake, and exh. manifolds, but installed a full dual exhaust with Hooker Aero chamber mufflers. The difference in the cars performance was amazing. After playing with the initial ignition timing, and the vacuum advance diaphragm balance spring adjustment, it got even stronger. The 5,000 lbs. is now effortlessly accelerated from a standstill, and it pulls hard from there. 0 to 30 mph is brisk, and the car feels so much more responsive.

The performance of the engine is now what Ford probably got on the test bench back in the day, but couldn't put into production due to EPA restrictions. It is a torque monster. And the "small" 2150 2V is actually the perfect size for this application, as it has excellent flow velocity/atomization at low rpm operation, and because the cam is all done by 4,000 rpm, the 375 CFM flow capacity (I think) is plenty. Based on all the bad things I've heard regarding this engine's power output, yes they are true in the engine's stock configuration. But what I found out is just how powerful this engine can be - without resorting to high rpm operation with radical cams and compression. This engine can be plenty powerful, reliable, and fuel efficient, with some modifications that improve cylinder filling and effective pressure.

I thought I'd let this Ford Truck community know about what I found out, as the 400 is a small block in weight, with almost a big block low-end punch. A sad note though, when I bought my cam from Crane about two years ago near the end of the year, they had only sold two cams that year. I guess everyone's after the dramatic high RPM power gains in larger cams, but as most street engines are operated from about 1,000 to 3,000 rpm, this is great powerband range for the street.

Anyone else done something like this?

Old 04-19-2009, 08:46 AM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Search through this forum, you'll see lots of guys here who already know & do this.

IIRC Crane Cams went out of business just within the past 3-4 months (something around
Christmas as I recall).

Old 04-19-2009, 10:33 AM
hollenjoe
Posting Guru
"how the 400 engine was a stroked 351W" Thats not wrong if you think of it in a certain dimensional way, but no, the 400 is a stroked 351M not windsor, also the 400 is cleveland based and you probably ment 351C based heads : "how the cylinder heads were derived from the excellent flowing 351W heads", windsor heads have poor head flow in comparison to a cleveland-M-400 head...

"The cam Crane recommended was 192 degrees intake duration" im sure this is a miss-type, even if you are talking about duration at 0.500" 192 is way too short.. I asume its posible but ridiculous..... stock cams had long seat to seat duration (intake : 280-290 dont realy remember) but slow ramp rates due to low lifts and short duration at 0.500"

The stock 2bbl carb would do fine under stock conditions but you will need a bigger carb for other purpouses....

Old 04-19-2009, 03:38 PM
nut behind the wheel
New User
Thanks for the corrections

Thanks for the corrections about the stroked 351M, and the 351C derived heads. I did refer to those incorrectly. As for the Crane cam, see the paste of the cam card below from the Crane website. See that it has significantly higher lift than the stock cams - hopefully with ported heads that will allow for much better VE, even at low RPM.

I read some of the posts on this subject, and now I'm interested in finding out if a roller cam with it's faster valve opening and closing rates would provide even greater gains. When I talked to Crane about this, they said in these short duration cams, there would be little additional benefit from using a roller lifter cam, but I'd like to get other opinions.

<table align="center" border="1" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="550"><tbody><tr><td colspan="2"><table border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class="formTitlesLeft" width="90">Part Number:</td><td class="formEntries" width="109">520581</td><td class="formTitles" width="105">Grind Number:</td><td class="formEntries" width="214">H-192/2667-2S-14</td></tr></tbody></table><table border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td colspan="3" class="formTitlesLeft">Engine Identification:</td><td class="formSubtitlesRight">
</td><td class="formTitlesLeft">
</td></tr><tr class="formSubtitles"><td width="66">Start Yr.</td><td width="62">End Yr.</td><td width="80">Make</td><td width="67">Cyl</td><td>Description</td></tr><tr><td class="formEntries">1970</td><td class="formEntries">1982</td><td class="formEntries">FORD-MERCURY</td><td class="formEntries">8</td><td rowspan="3" class="formEntries" valign="top" width="239">SMOOTH IDLE, DAILY USAGE, FUEL ECONOMY, 1600-2200 CRUISE RPM, 7.75 TO 8.75 COMPRESSION RATIO ADVISED. BASIC RPM 1000-4000</td></tr><tr><td colspan="2" class="formSubtitles">Engine Size</td><td class="formSubtitles">Configuration</td><td class="formSubtitles">
</td></tr><tr><td colspan="2" class="formEntries">351-351C C.I.</td><td class="formEntries">V</td><td class="formEntries">
</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr><tr><td colspan="2"><table border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class="formTitlesLeft" width="20%">Valve Setting:</td><td class="formSubtitlesRight" width="14%">Intake</td><td class="formEntries" width="14%">.000</td><td class="formSubtitlesRight" width="11%">Exhaust</td><td class="formEntries" width="15%">.000</td><td class="formEntries" width="26%">HOT</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr><tr><td colspan="2"><table border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class="formTitlesLeft" width="6%">Lift:</td><td class="formSubtitlesRight" width="29%">Intake @Cam</td><td class="formEntries" width="7%">2667</td><td class="formSubtitlesRight" width="10%">@Valve</td><td class="formEntries" width="7%">461</td><td rowspan="3" class="formtext" valign="top" width="28%">All Lifts are based
on zero lash and theoretical rocker arm ratios.</td></tr><tr><td rowspan="2" class="formSubtitles">
</td><td class="formSubtitlesRight">Exhaust @ Cam</td><td class="formEntries" width="7%">2847</td><td class="formSubtitlesRight">@Valve</td><td class="formEntries" width="7%">493</td></tr><tr><td class="formSubtitlesRight">Rocker Arm Ratio</td><td class="formEntries" width="7%">1.73</td><td class="formSubtitlesCenter">
</td><td class="formSubtitlesCenter">
</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr><tr><td colspan="2"><table border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class="formTitles" width="16%">Cam Timing:</td><td class="formEntries" width="11%">TAPPET</td><td colspan="3" class="formEntries">@.004</td></tr><tr><td class="formTitles">Lift:</td><td class="formTitles">
</td><td class="formSubtitles">Opens</td><td class="formSubtitles">Closes</td><td class="formSubtitles">ADV Duration</td></tr><tr><td class="formSubtitlesRight" width="16%">
</td><td class="formSubtitlesRight" width="11%">Intake</td><td class="formEntries" width="16%">11.0 BTDC</td><td class="formEntries" width="17%">57.0 ABDC</td><td class="formEntries" width="40%">248.0 °</td></tr><tr><td class="formSubtitlesRight">
</td><td class="formSubtitlesRight">Exhaust</td><td class="formEntries">65.0 BBDC</td><td class="formEntries">15.0 ATDC</td><td class="formEntries">260.0 °</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr><tr><td width="73%"><table border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td colspan="7" class="formTitlesLeft">Spring Requirements: Triple Dual Outer Inner</td></tr><tr><td class="formSubtitles" width="21%">Part Number</td><td colspan="6" class="formEntries">96801</td></tr><tr><td class="formSubtitles">Loads</td><td class="formSubtitlesRight" width="10%">Closed</td><td class="formEntries" width="7%">114</td><td class="formSubtitlesRight" width="9%">LBS @</td><td class="formEntries" width="9%">1.800</td><td class="formSubtitlesCenter" width="6%">or</td><td class="formEntries" width="38%">1 13/16</td></tr><tr><td class="formSubtitlesRight">
</td><td class="formSubtitlesRight">Open</td><td class="formEntries">259</td><td class="formSubtitlesRight">LBS @</td><td class="formEntries">1.330</td><td>
</td><td>
</td></tr></tbody></table></td><td width="27%"><table border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td colspan="2" class="formtext">Recommended RPM range with matching components</td></tr><tr><td class="formSubtitles" width="78%">Minimum RPM</td><td class="formEntries" width="22%">1000</td></tr><tr><td class="formSubtitles" height="24">Maximum RPM</td><td class="formEntries">4500</td></tr><tr><td class="formSubtitles">Valve Float</td><td class="formEntries">6500</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr><tr><td colspan="2"><table border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class="formTitles" width="16%">Cam Timing:</td><td class="formEntries" width="10%">TAPPET</td><td colspan="4" class="formEntries">@.050</td></tr><tr><td class="formTitles">Lift:</td><td class="formTitles">
</td><td class="formSubtitles">Opens</td><td class="formSubtitles">Closes</td><td class="formSubtitles">Max Lift</td><td class="formSubtitles">Duration</td></tr><tr><td class="formSubtitlesRight" width="16%">
</td><td class="formSubtitlesRight" width="10%">Intake</td><td class="formEntries" width="15%">(13.0) ATDC</td><td class="formEntries" width="17%">25.0 ABDC</td><td class="formEntries" width="13%">109</td><td class="formEntries" width="29%">192.0 °</td></tr><tr><td class="formSubtitlesRight">
</td><td class="formSubtitlesRight">Exhaust</td><td class="formEntries">41.0 BBDC</td><td class="formEntries">(17.0) BTDC</td><td class="formEntries">119</td><td class="formEntries">204.0 °</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>

Old 04-19-2009, 05:56 PM
73XAFalcon
Elder User
Originally Posted by nut behind the wheel
Thanks for the corrections about the stroked 351M, and the 351C derived heads. I did refer to those incorrectly. As for the Crane cam, see the paste of the cam card below from the Crane website. See that it has significantly higher lift than the stock cams - hopefully with ported heads that will allow for much better VE, even at low RPM.

I read some of the posts on this subject, and now I'm interested in finding out if a roller cam with it's faster valve opening and closing rates would provide even greater gains. When I talked to Crane about this, they said in these short duration cams, there would be little additional benefit from using a roller lifter cam, but I'd like to get other opinions.
That Crane cam is just slightly warmer than the factory 351M/400 cam. It has a little more lift while duration is close to the same. That with your other mods would make for a good cruiser as it sounds like you matched your parts very well. I doubt you would gain much more from this combo without moving the torque curve up the rpm range and out of your cruising range. This motor would work very well with a well thought out, long runner EFI and some better gearing. If you wanted to sink more $$$ into the combo, a wide-ratio upgraded AOD or a wide-ratio C4 w/add-on OD combined with a set of 3.50:1 rear gears would compliment this motor well AND really get the land yacht off the line. The OD would drop the effective rear ratio back down to a ratio "higher" (numerically smaller) than the current 2.76 and keep the motor in it's low-end powerband.

Old 04-20-2009, 12:24 AM
nut behind the wheel
New User
Those are good ideas for next steps, as having the four speed AOD transmission would allow me to have a much lower first gear for take off and retain the high speed/low RPM cruising capability.

Danlee had a post that is very informative about how a cam's duration needs to be selected because of the effects on dynamic compression in the cylinders, and how this directly affects cylinder pressure. I wasn't fully aware of why had Crane Cams recommended such a short duration cam, but now I see why. It is because of dynamic compression falling off drastically with increases in cam duration. So given that I didn't want to play with the pistons, etc. to increase compression in this case, the very short 192 degree intake duration gives me maximum cylinder pressure with the low stock compression ratio. If I had selected a longer duration cam to get better mid-range and high end power, I would have to increase the compression ratio to somewhere around 9.0:1 (limit for pump premium with cast iron heads?) in order to maintain cylinder pressure due to a later intake valve closing.

I see that there have been some builds around those parameters already. If I had the time and budget when I did my engine, I really should have chosen the Crane 266 as a roller cam (or maybe with the roller cam, could have used slightly more duration?), increase compression to around 9.0:1, use a dual plane 4V intake, and 4V Motorcraft carb. (I've heard the booster venturi design of the Motorcraft has far superior atomization of the fuel than other designs) port & polish, with headers. This engine could probably come close to breaking the tires loose from a start, and have great top end power too. What a package. Stump pulling torque, and top end charge in a small block weight, fuel effcient package. Someday I hope.

Last edited by nut behind the wheel; 04-20-2009 at 12:28 AM. Reason: http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/647041-dynamic-compression-ratio.html
Old 04-20-2009, 01:45 AM
grclark351
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
nut, the wide ratio AOD that 73XA mentioned is called the 4R70W, the first and second ratios are 2.84 and 1.55 vs 2.40 and 1.47 for the AOD

Old 04-20-2009, 06:46 AM
73XAFalcon
Elder User
Originally Posted by grclark351
nut, the wide ratio AOD that 73XA mentioned is called the 4R70W, the first and second ratios are 2.84 and 1.55 vs 2.40 and 1.47 for the AOD
Well yes and no. A buddy of mine is running an AOD in his Aussie Falcon but he rebuilt it with the 4R70W gear set. This gave him a non-electronic wide-ratio AOD for his carburetted car.

Old 04-20-2009, 12:18 PM
grclark351
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 73XAFalcon
...This gave him a non-electronic wide-ratio AOD for his carburetted car.
ah-hah! that's cool, a hydraulic 4R70W LOL! i went for the wide ratio C6 with the E4OD planets for more durability, and the serious stall converters for the AOD eliminate the lockup anyway.

for a practical daily driver the OD would be the way to go though for sure.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:45 PM
Beanscoot
Cargo Master
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
AOD fitment

The AOD won't fit the 351M/400 because these engines use the 429/460 bellhousing pattern, vs. the 6 bolt small block pattern of the AOD. However, there is one rare exception, one version of the early 400 blocks came with a dual bellhousing pattern which included the 6 bolt small block pattern.

Old 04-21-2009, 02:04 AM
Sportruk
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The AOD needs serious upgrades to withstand anything more than a 302. I'm running a Lentech AOD behind my 408 stroker that makes 500 ftlb torque. It has the wide ratio gear set and an electric lockout for the OD. It works like a 4R70W but is TV cable controlled. Lentech Automatics can also convert the AOD to fit anything you want. Ford 429/460, Chev small block and big block and Chrylser engines. Johnny Lightning was running a Lentech 4R70W in his drag truck until he reached the 1800 hp range.

Old 04-21-2009, 02:51 AM
Beanscoot
Cargo Master
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
The AOD was also installed behind the 351W. It seems to be all right with that. I had one in a 1985 Crown Vic (Trailer towing option) with no problems.

Obviously modified engines are a whole different kettle of fish, as they say.

Old 04-21-2009, 03:09 PM
grclark351
Posting Guru
AOD to 385 bell
Ford 429

AOD to chevy, FE and Y block
Ford-AOD.com the ultimate AOD Transmission Perfromance Website

the AOD is similar in size/strength to the FMX trans, IIRC it was used on 460's?

Old 04-21-2009, 03:26 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,595 Likes on 1,300 Posts
Originally Posted by hollenjoe
".............400 is a stroked 351M ....
Nit-picking today, so I thought I'd pile on: The 400 came first. The 351m is a DE-STROKED 400.

Old 04-21-2009, 06:06 PM
hollenjoe
Posting Guru
Jjeje I know i was trying to explain which one was related to which, and didnt wanna write the whole story anywas... 400 71-82 and 351m 75 -82