Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-17-2009, 07:03 AM
Post Fiend

Neal 97 250 has much to be proud ofNeal 97 250 has much to be proud ofNeal 97 250 has much to be proud ofNeal 97 250 has much to be proud ofNeal 97 250 has much to be proud ofNeal 97 250 has much to be proud ofNeal 97 250 has much to be proud ofNeal 97 250 has much to be proud ofNeal 97 250 has much to be proud of
PRNDL linkage adjustment

This is on a 2000 F-250 Triton V-8 (I know, not diesel but you guys are the bomb)
I got a friend that is having to slam the shifter into park to get it to start. I know there is an adjustment some where under the dash or column.

Now I think of it, I believe he said the truck still wants to roll when he puts it in park so maybe the linkage to the tranny needs adjustment.

In either case where would be the best place to adjust. Please forgive me because I am more of a manual tranny guy.
97 F250 Rosewood Stage II.75's, DP Tuner Live Tuned, Modded H2E, Terminated HPOS, Comp 910's, ARP studs, Swamps Pushrods, 6.oh Cooler, BDP elec. reg. return fuel, Valair full feramic clutch, RSK, D60, SD 1 ton springs DRD INMATE # 40
Neal's Pics and H2E install
Tennessee Chapter Leader Join Chapter here
Old 04-17-2009, 08:10 AM
aka Redneck Wrencher

mueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputation
Roland Mueck
Cable and Bracket Adjustment
Place the gearshift lever in the (D) position.
Place an eight pound weight on the gearshift lever. (Just apply some downward force on th lever)
Raise and support the vehicle.
Disconnect the transmission shift cable from the manual lever. (Lever on left side of Trans)
Unlock the lock tab on the transmission shift cable.

Place the manual control lever in the (D) position.
Place the manual control lever in the first gear position.
Move the manual control lever two detents to the (D) position.

Connect the transmission shift cable to the manual control lever.

Lock the transmission shift cable lock tab.

Lower the vehicle.

Carefully move the gearshift lever from detent to detent and compare with transmission settings. Verify that the vehicle will start in PARK or NEUTRAL and backup lamps illuminate in REVERSE. If not, Steps 1-5 must be repeated and include digital TR or TR sensor adjustment in NEUTRAL. Readjust if necessary.
Name:  shift cable adjustment.gif
Views: 4357
Size:  4.1 KB This picture may be showing the direction for re-latching the tab, but you get the idea.
'01 F-250 Lariat CC SB 4x4, DP Tuner F6 (live tuned), AFE II w/ Pete's Cover, GTP38R w/ RR billet whl & cross drilled 1.0, 6.0 Techni-cooler, Full Force SS Injectors, Stealth HPOP, Fluidampr, Melling M-208, Walbro FP, mueckster Reg Return & Bowl delete, Comp Cams 910's, mueckster 4R100, 4" SS MBRP, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Truetrac rear ...SOLD...
Old 04-17-2009, 08:32 AM
Post Fiend

Neal 97 250 has much to be proud ofNeal 97 250 has much to be proud ofNeal 97 250 has much to be proud ofNeal 97 250 has much to be proud ofNeal 97 250 has much to be proud ofNeal 97 250 has much to be proud ofNeal 97 250 has much to be proud ofNeal 97 250 has much to be proud ofNeal 97 250 has much to be proud of
Thanks Roland.
Is all of this done under the dash or under the truck.
97 F250 Rosewood Stage II.75's, DP Tuner Live Tuned, Modded H2E, Terminated HPOS, Comp 910's, ARP studs, Swamps Pushrods, 6.oh Cooler, BDP elec. reg. return fuel, Valair full feramic clutch, RSK, D60, SD 1 ton springs DRD INMATE # 40
Old 04-17-2009, 08:43 AM
aka Redneck Wrencher

mueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputation
Roland Mueck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal 97 250 View Post
Thanks Roland.
Is all of this done under the dash or under the truck.
Under the truck. The only thing done inside is the moving of the shift lever.

See edits in my previous post.
'01 F-250 Lariat CC SB 4x4, DP Tuner F6 (live tuned), AFE II w/ Pete's Cover, GTP38R w/ RR billet whl & cross drilled 1.0, 6.0 Techni-cooler, Full Force SS Injectors, Stealth HPOP, Fluidampr, Melling M-208, Walbro FP, mueckster Reg Return & Bowl delete, Comp Cams 910's, mueckster 4R100, 4" SS MBRP, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Truetrac rear ...SOLD...
Old 04-17-2009, 09:56 AM
Post Fiend

Thanks Roland I understand it better now.

Basically what we are doing is just removing the cable from the lever on the tranny. Then cycling the tranny thru a couple of gears and reattaching it to the cable.
It should then be readjusted.

Do you think this can be done with no tools?
I would assume at a minimum some pliers would be useful. Sorry for the dumb questions, I don't have it in my posession right now to look at it and don't have my tools with me.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:00 AM
aka Redneck Wrencher

Roland Mueck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal 97 250 View Post
Thanks Roland I understand it better now.

Basically what we are doing is just removing the cable from the lever on the tranny. Then cycling the tranny thru a couple of gears and reattaching it to the cable.
It should then be readjusted.

Do you think this can be done with no tools?
I would assume at a minimum some pliers would be useful. Sorry for the dumb questions, I don't have it in my posession right now to look at it and don't have my tools with me.
Pliers and a screwdriver should be all you'd need. The tab will release and allow for the "teeth" on the cable end to slide to a new position, if necessary, to adjust the length.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:40 AM
Post Fiend

Thanks for all your help and the pic.
Reps sent Amigo
Old 07-28-2010, 08:52 PM
New User

Enforcir is starting off with a positive reputation.
did this procedure work ?
Old 08-30-2011, 05:53 PM
Elder User

T8R has a very good reputation on FTE.T8R has a very good reputation on FTE.T8R has a very good reputation on FTE.T8R has a very good reputation on FTE.
What would cause a sloppy feeling shifter to 'snag' going from N to P? (Parked the truck, and it apparently wasn't all the way in P... rolled down the driveway towards a neighbours SUV... the repairs of which I'll be paying out of pocket.)

Still snags a little bit every time I put it in park, although I'm pretty diligent now about double checking it and using the parking brake. Has anyone else run into something like this? I'm too afraid to let my wife drive it... or more importantly... park.

F250 2WD Crew w/ ISSpro guages, 6637 intake, MBRP 4" exhaust, Riffraff High Pressure Crossover, Garrett Power Max BB turbo, Stage 2 Single Shot Injectors and DP tuner. Thanks to Clay at Riffraff. Update: 6.0 oil cooler, John Woods transmission, etc...
Old 08-30-2011, 10:35 PM
Post Fiend

BigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by T8R View Post
What would cause a sloppy feeling shifter to 'snag' going from N to P? (Parked the truck, and it apparently wasn't all the way in P... rolled down the driveway towards a neighbours SUV... the repairs of which I'll be paying out of pocket.)

Still snags a little bit every time I put it in park, although I'm pretty diligent now about double checking it and using the parking brake. Has anyone else run into something like this? I'm too afraid to let my wife drive it... or more importantly... park.
Sucks about the incident.

Try some of these yours is likely the first link with the torx screws being loose they can be tough to see, but once you know where they are you'll understand what they do, one of mine was actually sheared off, I reinstalled allen head bolts with locktite to prevent them from loosening up any more.

Sloppy Shifter

Pointer Adjustment

Normally I would include this thread too for all the adjustments but since you were here didn't figure you would need that one.

Alan 2000 F-350 CC SRW 4WD, DIY FRx, DIY CCK, Tyrant Tuning, BTS Trans, SpringerPop's Disabler, 6637 Filter, OCR, DIY Hutch Mod, Van Turbo w/RR 6/6 billet wheel, Foil Delete, 50Cent Mod, 4" Turbo back, other stuff...297,000 Miles and counting.Towing 2005 32' Sandpiper 5'er 2007 CC SRW 4WD 6.0 mostly stock
Member Arkansas Chapter
Old 08-30-2011, 10:35 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
01, 4r100, 97, adjust, adjustment, cable, expedition, explorer, f150, ford, linkage, prndl, procedure, shift, shifter