Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > FE & FT Big Block V8 (332, 352, 360, 390, 406, 410, 427, 428)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-17-2009, 01:52 AM
Elder User

court1100f is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.court1100f is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Question about TBI viability for a FE

I want to start off by saying I'm familiar with Mega Squirt being a controller option, Having said that I am also familiar with the Holley Aftermarket TBI units that are EXPENSIVE. SO and don't flame me for this BUT I was curious what ya'll thought about adapting a GM 454s TBI to a dual plenum Intake to make the FE fuel injected??? is this feasable??? also could I still run an independant ignition system running a vacuum advance duraspark distributor??? or would I have to go the Mega Squirt route and have the Mega Squirt control Ignition(Computer controlled distributor) & fuel Delivery??? I ask because this would be a VERY cheap alternative to getting the Holley Pro Jection TBI with Commander 950 controller computer since you could ****** a 454 TBI out of a Junk yard special. Any thoughts are welcome and YES I most certainly do know I'm talking about using a GM product on a Ford Engine but theres very few alternatives and most are rediculously cost prohibitive
Old 04-17-2009, 10:40 AM
Posting Guru

dinosaurfan is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Wink sure you can

Court, Yes, you can. Chevy even used TBIs on 502s. It isn't as simple as running to the salvage yard and grabbing it off from an old chevy, but it is still much cheaper than many of the other fuel injection options.

Firstly, I wouldn't use the 454 TBI. Not there is anything wrong with that unit in and of itself, but because of that units rarity and desireability among the chevy guys makes it more exspensive. The 454 TBI has, IIRC, two inch throttle bores. The 350 TBIs have 1 & 7/16ths, or something like that. The solution is to use the 350 TBI, of which GM made millions, so they are dirt cheap and almost worthless......but get one that has been rebuilt and bored out to two inches. Costs you about 200$. You could end up paying more than 200$ just to get a rebuildable core for the 454 unit. And, happily, the 85 or 95 pound per hour 454 injectors will fit in the pod for the 350 TBI.

You can keep the vacuum advance duarspark dizzy if you like. You'll need a GM computer to run the injectors, and you'll need the MAP sensor, an O2 sensor, and throttle postion stuff. A new engine wiring harness from Painless will make everything easy. You can have a custom chip made for it, or you can get someone like DynamicEFI to add a port to your GM 'puter that lets you program the fuel curve with your laptop- really neat stuff.

You will have to make your own adapter to bolt the TBI onto where the carb used to be........the ready made adapters seem to make too abrupt of a change to me. If you have an aluminum intake now, you could weld extra onto the outside of the carb pad to give your self more room.

Very do-able, the TBIs have been successfully run on all sorts of differant engines. It all depends on what your goals are. Even the 2 inchers, with the big injectors, and reprogrammed fuel curves, aren't going to support much more than 350 horsepower. But from idle on up till about 5K, the torque and driveability from these units is outstanding. For anything other than drag racing, they'll make an excellent choice.

DinosaurFan
Old 04-17-2009, 11:21 PM
Elder User

court1100f is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.court1100f is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Awsome thanks man I appreciate the informative post. I kinda figured it could be adapted to work ..............But lets say I want to exceed the 350HP cap could the OEM GM TBI unit be modified to feed say 450-475HP and butt loads of torque???? ..........also do you think a Mega Squirt 2 would be a good option or would re flashing the GM Factory computer be adequate???
Old 04-18-2009, 09:44 PM
Posting Guru

dinosaurfan is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Smile no, not really

Court, you have to modify the GM unit just to get to 350 hp. You might be able to get a little more, but whether you have a reflashed GM puter or the MegaSquirt, the pair of two inch bores and the twin 95 lb per hour injectors can only flow so much fuel. If you want more power than that, you have to have more injectors, and be able to breath in more air......and the TBIs can only do so much. A four barrel TBI could give you lots more power, but then the low buck part of this goes away rapidly. DinosaurFan
Old 04-18-2009, 10:47 PM
Postmaster

Lead Head has a great reputation on FTE.Lead Head has a great reputation on FTE.Lead Head has a great reputation on FTE.Lead Head has a great reputation on FTE.Lead Head has a great reputation on FTE.Lead Head has a great reputation on FTE.
If you wanted to have a project, you could install bungs/drill holes and go multi port injection. Just have to get the injectors aimed as close as you can at the intake valves.

Then you could just get a big 4 bbl carb from a junkyard, link the primaries and secondaries together with some kind of linkage (probably wouldn't be to hard to work out), and link up a TPS. From there you could punch the venturies right out of the carb (provided there is enough material around the area) to get more flow.

I'd say the most difficult part of doing this would be getting the injectors into the manifold.

1987 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 2.9

Needs a lot of work, including some rot on the body, but shes getting there.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:09 PM
Junior User

stevejohnson48 is starting off with a positive reputation.
TBI to FE 390 / .30 over

I been thinking about this for some time/?? Done every thing on a 780 Holley that can be done for a boat application ( Inboard 390 FE V-Drive ) Jet extenders, float bowl baffles & extenders, secondary meter block, 50cc pump, changed out jets & power valves tell I was blue in the face??/ Fuel levels to accommodate the rise in the boat's bow ( front ) When first accelerating from a slow roll even though it has a cavitation plate to help control high angel launch ??/ Though about purchasing a off road carburetor where they come close to guaranteeing no hesitations on approach angels and it always comes back to me that my 90 Z71 4X4 doesn't miss a lick on inclines I've rebuilt a couple of these TBI's And was wondering about ( instead of the 4 barrel high priced Holley set up ) maybe slicing down the middle of two 350 TBI's and setting the injector pedestals and fuel delivery galleys at separate locations ( really intricate TIG welding) Maybe even saving the fuel passage??/ Then all I have to do is worry about intake the TBI matching??/Anyone know what would the probabilities be of interfacing two throttle position sensors ??/One for primary and one for secondary and possibly of being able to change secondary's as to time of engagement ??/ Hers a web site for TBI ford FROM ford and they even give a listing for FE applicatins from $1250.00 for stock and indicate that they also will alter for HI Performance// http://www.affordable-fuel-injection...tor-13-13.html
Old 10-23-2013, 02:48 PM
Senior User

Mattrod68 is starting off with a positive reputation.
i understand what your trying to do, but after all this work and "cost savings" how well will it work? and your using old technology (admittedly we all are, but your upgrading old engines with efi so i assume originality is of little concern to you) and then at the end of the day your power is limited with no upgrade or replacement opportunities because its all a "custom" install.

the MSD Atomic efi can be upgraded to 650 horsepower with a simple fuel pump upgrade. EZ EFI kits are good for like 1000 horsepower. what is your time and headaches worth? and at the end of the day your leaving power and driveabilty on the table to save a few dollars up front. because the modified TBI stuff will end up costing you the same or more with all the fine tuning and running modifications/band aids.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:06 PM
Junior User

FE Ford to TBI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattrod68 View Post
i understand what your trying to do, but after all this work and "cost savings" how well will it work? and your using old technology (admittedly we all are, but your upgrading old engines with efi so i assume originality is of little concern to you) and then at the end of the day your power is limited with no upgrade or replacement opportunities because its all a "custom" install.

the MSD Atomic efi can be upgraded to 650 horsepower with a simple fuel pump upgrade. EZ EFI kits are good for like 1000 horsepower. what is your time and headaches worth? and at the end of the day your leaving power and driveabilty on the table to save a few dollars up front. because the modified TBI stuff will end up costing you the same or more with all the fine tuning and running modifications/band aids.
Yah I kinda know that after toying with the idea of a big block TBI for a built 383 small block??/ but being on a tight budget I'm looking at all possibility until spring gets here ??/ here's a interesting articale on a three deuce set-up for a FE running three V6 TBI's // http://fepower.net/simplemachinesfor...hp?topic=265.0
Old 10-23-2013, 10:41 PM
Posting Guru

smokenchoken is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.smokenchoken is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Eli Hopkins
watch this
Old 10-23-2013, 10:57 PM
Senior User

Click the image to open in full size.

im sorry, that thing is a hideous convoluted mess. he even went to the trouble of making it distributor-less. you can hide the MSD with an air filter.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:58 PM
Junior User

Fi 390 FE

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokenchoken View Post
So was this fix all after market or did you hit the salvage yards for the computer, intake,injectors,pump ect, ect,
Old 10-24-2013, 12:03 AM
Posting Guru

smokenchoken is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.smokenchoken is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Eli Hopkins
all out of junkyard, mainly all off of 5.8 and an aluminum edelbrock intake..................mattrod it has to have the dizzy in it that is how your oil pump works on an FE and i am not saying that this was the cleanest looking way but i was showing that there is a way to do it with ford parts not those backwards chebby motors....
Old 10-24-2013, 12:40 AM
Senior User

what i meant was you weren't using the distributor to fire the plugs which is cool. i just wouldnt have the patience! great ingenuity and hot-rodding spirit!
Old 10-24-2013, 11:11 AM
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokenchoken View Post
Nice find do you think they would want to let it go for a price??/
Old 10-24-2013, 11:11 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > FE & FT Big Block V8 (332, 352, 360, 390, 406, 410, 427, 428)

Tags
350, 360, 390, 427, 454, build, fe, ford, gm, holley, horsepower, injectors, specs, support, tbi