1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1951 Ford F2 Project Diary

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 09:14 PM
cfbreuer
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone got a link for a 51' F2 shop manual, I am finding it hard to find.

Old 04-17-2009, 09:19 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Originally Posted by cfbreuer
As for today, I ripped out the grille off and the headlights out. I also took off the front bumper.
(Well kind of a quote)

I say you're on the right track

As for the sand blasting IMO it depends on what your blasting. If its small parts that can fit into a small blast cabinet I say buy as blast cabinet. If it's a large item like the frame find some one to do it. There have been many posts about do it yourself blasting and I always give the same advice. I've also stated numerous times I worked in a truck shop and did my share of blasting truck bodies, frames and trailers and it's a dirty job that takes a lot of room. The media will get everywhere and it's a beast to clean up. Leave the big jobs to the pro and also have them epoxy prime after they blast. Sheet metal is another job best left to the pros. Blasting sheet metal can easily be warped if not done properly. Even the pro can warp it so if you do take to some one make sure they know what they're doing, ask for references. You can do sheet metal with a simple, light weight blaster but again, it's a dirty job.

Old 04-17-2009, 09:25 PM
geek
Freshman User
you looking for something like this?

Old 04-17-2009, 09:30 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
https://www.ford-trucks.com/article/...g_Cabinet.html This is one I'm looking at doing myself. Another option is to modify some type of storage shed. (Locally they sell used ship containers of varying sizes) and buy the blaster like you mentioned. When not in use it can double as a lockable storage unit. The trick is keeping the media from getting all over the place. The red shop manual can be found at Macs, Sacramento Vintage, etc... A full frame, like Bob said, is best left for a shop to do with epoxy prime and maybe even chassis black top coat for simplicity and time. drop off the frame, work on your other parts, engine, trans., etc... pick up yer frame, and start putting it back together. In theory.

Old 04-18-2009, 03:33 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Hi Curtis and welcome!

You are already getting lots of great advice.

What Bob said about the digital camera is a must. It's fun to get one that will stamp the date on your pictures.

I found this latest restoration of mine much simpler for two reasons: first, parts are much more readily available because of the INTERNET. Folks here can pretty much point you to just about anything you will need, and Number Dummy Bill has finders on obsolete parts you might have though No one could find.

Second reason is because of forums like this. It's like the Library of Congress of Ford Truck and Restorations - chatting here and looking up the stored info will really keep you from redoing stuff and wasting time and money.

The best advice I think I can offer about your restoration is to do a lot of planning. Research the older threads here, and start a new one if you have a particular question. But also, you have to decide what the end product of your truck is going to be...will it be stock, used for towing, work, daily driver, modified for faster more powerful driving, increased reliability, etc.

One thing I did when I was planning was to look on line at as many pictures of the trucks like mine that I could find. E-bay is a great place to do that. It gives you an idea of what was on the trucks and some of the neat little things you can add if you want.

There are three books minimum you MUST have to do your restoration: The formerly mentioned Shop Manual; a 1948-1952 Ford Truck Chassis Parts Catalogue (because it has all the exploded drawings of just about every inch of your truck); and, an Owners Manual. All together you will spend about $70 on all three. All readily available on e-bay. Hmmmm, can you shop on e-bay at 17?

I would keep a repair journal of all your work. Every time you do something, come in and note what was done and how you did it - date your entries to coincide with the pictures you take with the date stamps).

Also, keep an excel spread sheet with every manufacturer, part number and specification you can find for things that fits on the truck - saves time next time you buy.

I know you aren't thinking about wiring and electricity yet, but when you do, send me a PM with your real e-mail address. I have some nice wiring diagrams and component wiring diagrams I will send you.

Anyway, do this - do that ......

But remember, you are too young for adult frosty beverages

But not too old for cookies - from the "Dark side!"

They'll be along -

Lastly, HAVE FUN!

Old 04-18-2009, 07:27 AM
bigblockfordman
Senior User
Ah yes!!!.....It does my old heart good, to see another young person, getting involved in the "old" vehicle hobby!!!......It must be kept alive!!!....My son (who just turned 18 this week) and I are working together on his first "project", a 51 F-1......As the other members have said, do lots'a reading/research.....take your time, be patient, do it right and most importantly.....DONT GIVE UP!!!....depending on what direction your planning to go with your truck and how much time and $$$ you can spend on it, will dictate how soon it will get done.....for most of us on the board, that equates to YEARS!!......just remember it's about the "journey"!!.......Good luck with your build, enjoy and have fun
and welcome to FTE!!.................
Later, Doug

Old 12-15-2009, 02:39 PM
WNG Ford 460
New User
Info

Ford F-Series Pickup Owner's Bible: F-1, F-100, F-150, F-2, F-250, F3, F-350 1948-1995

Do it Yourself Online Auto Repair ? Chilton DIY

1948-1956 Ford Truck Truck Parts > LMC Truck > Pick Up Truck Parts

- They have lots of parts at decent prices in my opinion

Old 12-15-2009, 03:45 PM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by WNG Ford 460
They have lots of parts at decent prices in my opinion
Welcome to the site.

If you get a moment maybe you could put in your location code in the user CP so that we could come over and drink your beer and borrow your tools! (……and maybe help if we are close).

Old 12-15-2009, 03:48 PM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
Welcome to the site and good on ya for getting the truck!

If you get a moment maybe you could put in your location code in the user CP so that we could come over and drink your beer and borrow your tools! (……and maybe help if we are close).

Old 12-15-2009, 08:18 PM
HILLBILLY BOB
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Welcome to fte & good luck with your truck.
It is great to see someone so young intrested in our hobby
Like everyone else has said that you came to the right place
you will get all the help that you need

Old 12-16-2009, 10:30 AM
WNG Ford 460
New User