1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

94 B4000 Nightmare...help please

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 10:39 PM
wtroger
Cargo Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
They may have pinched a wire between the block and the bellhousing I have seen it before or as was said earlier they pulled a wire or damaged a sensor when they let the engine hang. I would check everything in the area of the bell housing abd check all the grounds.

Old 04-23-2009, 07:51 PM
Doomhammer
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wtroger
They may have pinched a wire between the block and the bellhousing I have seen it before or as was said earlier they pulled a wire or damaged a sensor when they let the engine hang. I would check everything in the area of the bell housing abd check all the grounds.
Well wtroger, thats what I said from day 1. Its just not likely to be a coincidence that my engine was running strong and on time and no issues until they replaced the clutch. Had to have screwed something up somewhere in the vicinity. But they cant find it.

Replaced the ECT yesterday and it didnt help whatsover. They keep telling me they are going to take it to Mazda. But today once again they didnt have time to get it over there. They have had it a month, a little more than a monht. Its beyong ridiculous at this point. The owner is such a nice decent guy you just hate to be a jerk to him but....im out patience with it.

Anyway, thanks again for all the suggestions. Im still convinced its going to be something totally simple that they are dismissing without knowing having checked it. A ground, a vacuum leak, a sensor, something ike that. And like wtrgoer and others have said, somethign near the bell housing where they pulled the clutch. Has to be.....

I already paid $700 or thereabouts for the clutch. I have a standing bill of about $400 or more for parts that werent needed and that didnt fix it. Mazda charges $80 to diagnose, which I would gladly pay if they would get the damned truck over to them!!! Mazda even said if they couldnt diagnose it correctly (and result in it being fixed) that they wouldnt charge us. So im thinking "GET IT OVER THERE NOW !!!!!".

I never thought Id miss having my little peice of ***** but I will be happy as a kid at christmas to get her back.

I will keep yall posted....

DH

Old 04-24-2009, 08:57 PM
bazzman1953
Elder User
So the plot thickens. PLEASE do a final post on the problem, all this adds to the knowledge base of this forum. So what if it is pulled up from 3 [or 10] pages back, post on it anyhow, and bring it back to attention. You have some of us quite curious as to what caused it.

Old 04-25-2009, 06:22 AM
tomw
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Quote:
I have a standing bill of about $400 or more for parts that werent needed and that didnt fix it.
I don't think that you need to take this upon yourself. Just put the old parts back in, and they can keep the new parts. Why should you pay for their errors? They replaced functional parts with other functional parts. Because they did not diagnose the problem that a professional should have. If they didn't know what they were doing [obvious shotgun approach] then they should not try to stick you with the bill.
IMO.
tom

Last edited by tomw; 04-25-2009 at 06:31 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-29-2009, 11:14 AM
Doomhammer
New User
well drumroll please...........

They finally found the hour it took to get my truck over to the mazda dealer after I went over to the shop yesterday and confronted them on it.

It took the dealer about 10 minutes to find that they had the O2 sensor wired backward. The first thing the shop replaced when it started running bad. Is it not common sense to go back to step 1 and re-check the simple things? Seems logical to me.

Ive learned quite a bit these last six weeks about my truck, its systems, wiring, sensors, etc. I think next time, unless its major overhaul, I will buy me a code reader and do the work my damned self. Cant do any worse than these guys did !

Old 04-29-2009, 04:21 PM
tomw
Logistics Pro
So, the $400 standing bill??? for all the parts caused by their MISTAKE!!!

Bah, they should either eat the parts, or replace your old ones, that were perfectly good.

Talk about shotgunning a problem. You seriously need to reconsider using these "mechanics" again. I would call them parts-changers. "It is obvious you need a new duvoprop. See, look here. That's all wrong. It's a wonder you made it in here with that. Some ignoramus must have installed that in place of what really belongs there. Boy are you lucky we found it before it ruined your catalytic laser protector."
"What will it cost? Oh, anywhere from $175 to $350... We'll have to check stuff as we go."

ANd the bill is for ???? Of course, it is $350, because of all that stuff....

hacks. Find some new hacks.

tom

yeah, I am cynical.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:40 AM
Doomhammer
New User
Originally Posted by tomw
So, the $400 standing bill??? for all the parts caused by their MISTAKE!!!

Bah, they should either eat the parts, or replace your old ones, that were perfectly good.

Talk about shotgunning a problem. You seriously need to reconsider using these "mechanics" again. I would call them parts-changers. "It is obvious you need a new duvoprop. See, look here. That's all wrong. It's a wonder you made it in here with that. Some ignoramus must have installed that in place of what really belongs there. Boy are you lucky we found it before it ruined your catalytic laser protector."
"What will it cost? Oh, anywhere from $175 to $350... We'll have to check stuff as we go."

ANd the bill is for ???? Of course, it is $350, because of all that stuff....

hacks. Find some new hacks.

tom

yeah, I am cynical.
I certainly dont want to take up for these guys, but know that i have more details and saw the sensor myself, it is a design flaw and if you dont know about 02 sensors on these models, you wouldnt know.

The dealer service dept said the O2 sensor was wired backward. That isnt really true (it was a woman in the service center, go figure). These sensors arent wired, they have two prongs. And I saw it myself, neither prong is distingiushable from the other, no markings, no color code, no threading, absolutely no way to indicate you would have it backwards. My shop installed it, cleared the code, and the PCM didnt throw the code again. i still think logic says go back to the O2 sensor rather than start randomly changing parts. If the PCM said bad 02 sensor, and the problem still existed after you installed a new one, common sense tells me go back to the sensor, something isnt right there. But they didnt.

He worked out a fair deal with me on the price. Mazda charged them $190 for the diagnosis and to reposition the 02 sensor. So considering I got a tune up, new plugs, new wires, new MAF, new O2 sensor, new ECT, new TPS, new fuel pressure regulator, new crank position sensor, ......thats all I can remember right. I figure paying $300 for all that isnt so bad. I wanted to be fair about it....for both sides.

Anyway, if you have a bad 02 sensor and replacing it doesnt fix, you may have it installed backward. Mazda service center said they see that all the time, yet there is no bulletin on it and I cant find anything on the web about it whastover.

Old 04-30-2009, 07:29 PM
bazzman1953
Elder User
For $300 and getting all those parts replaced... fair enough.
Glad you finally have your problem solved. Thanks for closing this thread, I learned from it... and isn't that what's all about?

Old 05-01-2009, 06:55 AM
tomw
Logistics Pro
If you go to your local auto parts store, and look at a replacement O2, they come with leads that are about 6" long. They come with directions. They come with crimp connectors already installed.
I do not believe the design is faulty. I've done replacements myself, and have had no problem. There are two wire and three wire designs. Ground, heater and sensor.
Most of the parts you replaced would have lasted the life of the vehicle.

Being old, I can afford to be mean, cuz I don't care what they think about me.

I repeat what I said the first time. These "mechanics" did not do their job. One simple mistake, "Oh, I have done 912681 of these, I don't have to look at the directions.." and the die is cast. Measure twice, cut once. They didn't even get out the measuring tape, just took a wild whack at it, and it cost YOU over a month of headache.

They should be paying you. It is not your fault they hired someone who is not interested enough to do the job right the first time. If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you get MORE time to do it all over again?

I've taken vehicles for the 'safety' inspection required in Colorado, was told I needed new ball joints, that the car was a hazard. I told the 'mechanic' that I didn't think that was the case because he measured the joints unloaded, and the factory called for them to be checked under load. He FINALLY got out the book, but refused to pass the car because he was found out to be trying to cheat me. He would not admit that I was right. I didn't want anything special, just a fair examination of the car. He wanted my money.
The guys that worked on your car got your money. Just like the guys that squirt brake fluid on the shock absorbers and tell you they are leaking.

You can't cheat an honest man. But you can prey upon his charity.

tom