6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

TorqShift Transmission - Information and Troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 10:40 PM
suzuki_vinson
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did not recieve the paperwork for the transmission and I am almost positive that this transmission is the original and no work has been done. My ignorance for trusting the guy but it happens I guess. The truck seems to do alot better once it fully warms up but from a cold start it has ateast a 5 second delay when you put it in drive before it engages and if you press the brake it will kill the truck or atleast put a large strain on the engine. But quits that once it is warms up. Also if you hold the break and press the gas the truck just seems to stahl out. I did find on this thread where the filter was located and I crawled under the truck and found it and looks like it has been on the truck forever and supposedly this transmission is brand new less than a week old. I had an engine code so I scanned it and it said exhaust pressure sensore but no slip codes or anything and I cleared the code and it has showed up. But today when I was driving down the road running 55mph my abs light kicked on my speedometer went to 0 then maybe 5 seconds later it came back up to the speed i was going. The transmission fluid smells absolutely terrible tho like it was baked in an oven. Sorry for such a long post but trying to give all the details. Thanks

Old 07-06-2012, 10:47 PM
Piolet
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by suzuki_vinson
.... I am almost positive that this transmission is the original and no work has been done.

..... and supposedly this transmission is brand new less than a week old.
You'll need to fine tune some of the info for the guys to help you. You might also want to crawl over the truck and see what else he might have stuck you with.

Start a new thread and post pictures from a whole bunch of angles and we'll all be able to help. We'll be able to see things like evidence of wrong oil filters, aftermarket air intake set ups, coolant level and color and maybe some other stuff too.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:34 PM
suzuki_vinson
Senior User
Ok will do that first thing tomorrow. I really appreciate the help and I will take pics and start a new thread tomorrow. Thanks alot

Old 07-24-2012, 11:09 PM
tony8473
New User
Torqshift Question

Hello and thanks for all the awesome info. I have a question, my 06 F350 PSD with Torqshift 5spd has developed an issue just recently. The truck has 123k miles and at low speeds occasionally I hear a clicking noise from the transmission and persists at higher speeds as well with a low humming noise. When stopping I feel a slight bump like something engaging and after that it is gone, until it seems the truck is shut off and restarted. I bought the truck from the orig owner with only 111k miles and he towed approx 16k miles a 10k fifth wheel. He never chipped it and it was bone stock. Since I have done all the 6.0 weak links...studs, HG, EGR Cooler, EGR, Oil cooler, turbo. I have chipped with an Edge Evolution, 4" Magnaflow, AFE stage 2, but never drive it hard or race it around. Any ideas what this might be? When on Stock, Mileage and tow settings on the chip it seems to shift great but any higher it seems to hang up and once I got the "tow Haul" light came on and went off.

Even when the noise is present, there seems to be no performance issues.

Thanks in advance!

Old 09-09-2012, 10:13 PM
dvfd12
Tuned
Does anyone know what voltage the PCM needs to see for the trans temp? I have done a Cummins conversion and am trying to get the "check trans temp" message to go away.

Also, I need the PCM to know when it's in reverse, or to figure out how to get the reverse sensors to work without the PCM. I already have the backup lights wired into the neutral safety switch on the 47rh so they work. I was just hoping to get the sensors to work too.

Old 03-14-2014, 11:56 AM
steelhead2
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by suzuki_vinson
I did not recieve the paperwork for the transmission and I am almost positive that this transmission is the original and no work has been done. My ignorance for trusting the guy but it happens I guess. The truck seems to do alot better once it fully warms up but from a cold start it has ateast a 5 second delay when you put it in drive before it engages and if you press the brake it will kill the truck or atleast put a large strain on the engine. But quits that once it is warms up. Also if you hold the break and press the gas the truck just seems to stahl out. I did find on this thread where the filter was located and I crawled under the truck and found it and looks like it has been on the truck forever and supposedly this transmission is brand new less than a week old. I had an engine code so I scanned it and it said exhaust pressure sensore but no slip codes or anything and I cleared the code and it has showed up. But today when I was driving down the road running 55mph my abs light kicked on my speedometer went to 0 then maybe 5 seconds later it came back up to the speed i was going. The transmission fluid smells absolutely terrible tho like it was baked in an oven. Sorry for such a long post but trying to give all the details. Thanks
jerid, did you get this figured out?.mines doing the same thing. Its just like dumping the clutch on a manual in gear in all ranges.

Old 05-06-2014, 12:28 AM
ford7691
New User
tss sensor

How do I change the tss sensor on my 03 f350 6.0

Old 05-06-2014, 09:37 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,574 Likes on 1,052 Posts
Locate the sensor on top of the trans. It is the one near the bellhousing. Unplug the wiring connection. Remove the bolt the holds it in place. Pull the sensor out.

Old 12-11-2014, 12:14 PM
longview1
Fleet Mechanic
Is the thermostat in the trans a "drop pan a replace" deal?
My trans (08 f350 6.4) gets hot real fast going up any type of hill while TC unlocked, loaded and unloaded.
Only started happening after my spartan firmware was updated this summer.

Old thread but a good read, thanks!!

Old 07-04-2015, 04:04 PM
BigDirty
New User
Hi. Need help. I have a 03 Excursion 6.0 that just developed a transmission leak between the transmission and transfer case. It appears to be the transmission because the transfer case fluid is at the top. I started to notice transmission fluid leaking in my driveway. I have not had any driving issues with the transmission but I am not driving until I correct the problem. If this is the rear transmission seal, how had is it to change this seal? Must I remove the spacer between the transfer case and 5r110 tranny? Any special tools needed? Any insights you have would help. Thanks.

Old 07-04-2015, 04:12 PM
BigDirty
New User
5r110 or transfer case leak

Bismic- need some help. I have a 03 Excursion 6.0 that just developed a transmission leak between the transmission and transfer case. It appears to be the transmission because the transfer case fluid is at the top. I started to notice transmission fluid leaking in my driveway. I have not had any driving issues with the transmission but I am not driving until I correct the problem. If this is the rear transmission seal, how had is it to change this seal? Must I remove the spacer between the transfer case and 5r110 tranny? Any special tools needed? Any insights you have would help. Thanks.

Last edited by BigDirty; 07-04-2015 at 04:14 PM. Reason: double submit
Old 07-04-2015, 04:47 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,478 Likes on 1,718 Posts
I haven't removed one of these transmissions, so I will defer to these with that experience. I see Mark K is online, hopefully he will see your posts and respond. How is the fluid level? Also, have you ever had the fluid temperature get too high (gauge goes to yellow at 230-250*F)?

Old 07-04-2015, 05:11 PM
BigDirty
New User
My temps have stayed at or below 150 if I recall. My fluid is slightly low in the transmission at about 134 operating temperature. The fluid is clean, red and has no burnt odor. My transfer case is topped off. Fluid ran out the fill plug when I removed it.

I am parked up a slight incline but I have forward rake. I replaced the stock excursion springs with the more curved 3/4 ton superduty springs and added both a 3" add a leaf and RAS active suspension helper springs.

Thanks for the reply.

Last edited by BigDirty; 07-04-2015 at 05:53 PM. Reason: add details
Old 07-04-2015, 05:14 PM
BigDirty
New User
There is an aluminum square spacer than necks down. It is about 6" long between the transmission output on the excursion and the transfer case.

The leak I see is where that spacer meets the transfer case. I see enough for the fluid to leak onto the crossmember and to the driveway. I estimate that I have lost less than a 1/2 quart of fluid over a couple weeks.

Last edited by BigDirty; 07-04-2015 at 05:54 PM. Reason: added more detail
Old 07-04-2015, 06:07 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,478 Likes on 1,718 Posts
I started this thread to pass on the technical info I had accumulated on our transmissions. Folks may not open the thread because they aren't expecting to have people post in this one for troubleshooting help. You might start a new thread or directly PM Mark K. Sorry I can't help more.

Quick Reply: TorqShift Transmission - Information and Troubleshooting