1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Now not just the 7.3 Gods, I need the DIESEL GODS TOO STEP IN!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 10:37 PM
Yougotthehit
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now not just the 7.3 Gods, I need the DIESEL GODS TOO STEP IN!!

Well I was talking with Derek from Outlaw Diesels and since having my issue with me thinking I had water in my tank. Well I took the fuel bowl off, cleaned it, started purging the line into a gallon jug to see if any crap came out and nothing but I did notice that the diesel was a orange yellow. He thinks I caught the Diesel Virus!
Bacteria in diesel - ¡Cure Diesel Contamination, kill bacteria, fungus and yeasts in diesel

Whats your thoughts? I filled up another gallon jug of fresh diesel and its a green as show in the picture. I mixed it with gas and water to see if it would change color and it didnt. The only thing I can think of is that the tank that i bought used had been sitting for 3 years that something was growing.

Old 04-13-2009, 10:49 PM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That is a very good possibility. How old was the fuel that was in the tank?

Old 04-13-2009, 10:53 PM
Yougotthehit
Senior User
Old 04-13-2009, 10:57 PM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Your going to have drain the tank unless a germicide will kill it and let it burn through.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:08 AM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I think I'd hit it with a good biocide before I let all that fuel go to waste. Diesel Kleen doesn't have enough in it to use it for anything other than prevention. You need to dose it with the real stuff.

Biocide Racor Fuel Distillate Additive

Old 04-14-2009, 07:29 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It's cloudy. Definately something in there. Diesel should appear more clear when it's clean.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:27 AM
clux
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks like orange juice to me, and it will probably run in your pickup about as well as orange juice would.

I don't know how many gallons of that you have, but it'll take a lot of biocide and filtering to have any chance of making that stuff fuel again. With a little bit of fuel and water left in the tank, it was a haven for diesel digesting bacteria, and would thoroughly inoculate whatever fuel you put in on top of it.

Yep, your truck has the diesel version of the clap.

Old 04-14-2009, 04:46 PM
Yougotthehit
Senior User
I primed the tank till I drained every last bit out and it was dry. I filled a half tank of fresh diesel and nothing, still doing it.
I had it rescanned with a snap on scanner and these are the codes i got.
p472 exhaust pressure sensor low
p198 engine oil temp sensor high
p1690 waste gate solenoid control circuit
p381 glow plug indicator
p1140 water in fuel condition

Old 04-14-2009, 04:52 PM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by clux
Yep, your truck has the diesel version of the clap.
I always knew there was something that I really liked about you ...Love it!

Old 04-14-2009, 04:56 PM
4EXTRDR
Senior User
Wow...yummy... I had no idea Diesel could get a Bacteria...Great, something else to look forward too If it ain't my 4 year old with a Virus it's the diesel in my truck....maybe Aetna will cover my truck too LOL.

Old 04-14-2009, 05:31 PM
ernesteugene
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Yougotthehit
...I primed the tank till I drained every last bit out and it was dry. I filled a half tank of fresh diesel and nothing, still doing it...
This is a typical issue faced by many motorhome owners because they park for such long periods of time and condensation gets in their tanks. I've read of cases where just draining the tank and refilling it with fresh diesel using a biocide additive didn't work because evidently the bacteria was well established in the fuel supply and return lines. The run of the mill biocide additive is intended to prevent infections not to cure a well established one!

Their only fix was to go to a specialty shop that continuously flushes a stronger biocide agent through the entire fuel system for many passes and then refills the tank with fresh diesel using a double dose of biocide additive.

For motorhomes with this problem it usually takes a few days/miles for enough new bacteria to grow to clog up their new fuel filters so it sounds like you might have other issues as well. Did you start off with a new fuel filter?

Old 04-14-2009, 06:28 PM
clux
Post Fiend
I primed the tank till I drained every last bit out and it was dry. I filled a half tank of fresh diesel and nothing, still doing it.
I had it rescanned with a snap on scanner and these are the codes i got.
p472 exhaust pressure sensor low
p198 engine oil temp sensor high
p1690 waste gate solenoid control circuit
p381 glow plug indicator
p1140 water in fuel condition
So here's something worth a try--unplug the water in fuel sensor, and check the fuses in the cab. There's a 30 amp fuse, I think it is #22 but I'm not sure. if it's blown, replace it, and even if it's not blown try it with the water in fuel sensor unplugged. A bad sensor will cause all kinds of strange symptoms.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:40 PM
Yougotthehit
Senior User
Well we hooked it up to a real ford scanner and its showing the number 8 is not firing. Did a buzz test and they all buzz fine did the contribution test and it came back not working. So shes clogged. My buddy that scanned works on these on the side, he said drain a gallon of oil, fill a gallon of Diesel Kleen up and let it idle for an hour. Then change the oil, sometimes this will unclog it.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:45 PM
clux
Post Fiend
Well we hooked it up to a real ford scanner and its showing the number 8 is not firing. Did a buzz test and they all buzz fine did the contribution test and it came back not working. So shes clogged. My buddy that scanned works on these on the side, he said drain a gallon of oil, fill a gallon of Diesel Kleen up and let it idle for an hour. Then change the oil, sometimes this will unclog it.
Did I understand that right, Diesel kleen in the crankcase?

Doesn't sound like a good idea to me, and it won't cure your problem if dirty fuel caused it.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:51 PM
Yougotthehit
Senior User
That was straight from a International Mechanic, so Im going to have to trust him on that one. He said there is a possibility that it will work and one that it wont. If it doesnt, Im pulling it out and bringing it to Midwest Fuel Injection for a quick cleaning.

Quick Reply: Now not just the 7.3 Gods, I need the DIESEL GODS TOO STEP IN!!