1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

F3 questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 09:34 PM
safef3
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F3 questions

Just got a F3, 51 model has a 289 v8 in it with automatic transmison. All this was done before I got it. Couple of problems I thought somebody might be able to help with.

1st, It has a generator on it that has gone bad, what is the best soulution?
2cd, Has a sort of home made flat bed made out what appears to be diamond plating painted black and looks terriable. I can't find any beds around here to fix it so was thinking of cutting down the frame to make F1 bed fit it.

also, thought I would see what suggestions anyone had on having the motor gone through and leaving it in it. I know thats a bunch of info but any thought would help. I am knew to this. Just a note, I plan on having it restored. The truck is in really good shape, no rust holes or dents, or missing stuff on exterior. Just want some direction.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:58 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Welcome! Soon enough a few of the folks will come in and answer your questions. to answer your first question, I would say if it's a 289, it's already likely 12 volt converted. I would think a standard alternator would work. Unless the PO left it 6 volt, and hoped the points n the 289 dizzy would be ok. One other thing I would look at is how the engine is mounted. Is it an aftermarket tubular crossmember with the engine mounts? If you wanted to put an original flathead back into the truck, there's a different mounting set-up used. After a few posts, you'll be able to post pics, (we all like pics), and use the search function. Settign up a gallery and such is a good start also. Again, welcome.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:47 AM
safef3
Junior User
Thanks. I am going to try and get the flat bed off soon and then get some pics. Maybe someone will have some ideas then.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:22 AM
safef3
Junior User
I was reading another post about 12 volt conversions. I wanted to know if there is a way to tell if my truck has been converted. Most everyone thinks with it being a 289 motor it is, but I just wondered why it even had a generator on it. Maybe this is why the POs are sometimes held with such high regard on the post....again any ideas will help, you guys seem to know your stuff.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:05 AM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 262 Likes on 216 Posts
I'll add my welcome. Glad to have you hanging around.

While you've not brought it up, I'd suggest that you do a forum search regarding the F-3 stock wheels. If your truck still has the original 17s it'll be something you will want to deal with. If you have 16s, though, you can thank the PO for being good to you. If you've got the stock 17s we can go over the alternatives with you.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:35 AM
safef3
Junior User
Thanks for the welcome. You do bring up something I have not looked into. I don't know my way around this site very good yet, so thanks for the info. My truck does sit a little low to the ground though. Seems lower than most, you can't even slide under it.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:57 AM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 262 Likes on 216 Posts
If it sits that low there's a good chance you in fact have a safe F-3. It's pretty easy to see whether you're safe or not. If you have stock looking 8 lug rims with 17" tires they are probably the killer two piece design that everybody tries to get rid of. The only other safer 17" rim made back then was sourced on Chevys so it's possible, but unlikely, you'd have them. If you have 8 lug x 16s, or any 5 lug diameter, you're home free on this issue.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:02 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by safef3
Just got a F3, 51 model has a 289 v8 in it with automatic transmison. All this was done before I got it. Couple of problems I thought somebody might be able to help with.

1st, It has a generator on it that has gone bad, what is the best soulution?
2cd, Has a sort of home made flat bed made out what appears to be diamond plating painted black and looks terriable. I can't find any beds around here to fix it so was thinking of cutting down the frame to make F1 bed fit it.

also, thought I would see what suggestions anyone had on having the motor gone through and leaving it in it. I know thats a bunch of info but any thought would help. I am knew to this. Just a note, I plan on having it restored. The truck is in really good shape, no rust holes or dents, or missing stuff on exterior. Just want some direction.
Hi and welcome!

Generator first. Take that sucker off and throw it AWAY! There are a couple ways you can go, and it largely depends on your plans to do the best you can Vs your budget.

Like Havi I would have to assume the 12 volt conversion has been done. I had a 289 in my 55 and it was a dream. But the generator on it turned it into a nightmare.

If it were my truck (and your money - tee hee) I would definately change it out to an alternator. Many types are available - Ford, GM, aftermarket.

In that light I would go with a "one wire" style - it has an internal regulator. That will negate the need to buy a regulator and wire it in.

The GM alternators were one wire, and Tuff Stuff makes one wire alternators for Fords. Ford also made one wire alternators for it's later model vehicles.

Here is the link to Tuff Stuff if you want to shop:

Products :: Tuff Stuff Performance

One wire alternators are available just about anywhere - new and used, and there are a number of excellent forums here on record discribing the installation in depth. Here is the link to one of those forums:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/article/...ord_Truck.html

Even with the added expense, I'd definately go with a NEW one wire alternator. I have a Tuff Stuff alternator on my 390 and it's fantastic!

With regard to putting an F1 Bed on your F3 (F2/F3?) it can physically be done but it's gonna look REAL funny. The reason is, the F1 has a shorter wheel base than the F2 and F3. The box on the F1 is smaller and called a "Pick-up" box. The box on the F2+ is called an "Express Box" and is both wider and longer than a "Pick-up" box.

Since you have to center the box over the back wheels, the shorter F1 Box on the longer F2 frame is going to leave a gap between the box and the cab and then there's theproblem of getting running boards to hook up correctly between the front and back fenders.

F2+ boxes in good condition are very difficult to find, and as far as I know are not being reproduced. Maybe you could find one somewhere, or buy a donor truck with one on it inexpensively.

Here's a picture:

Bob Jones just published on this site, CAD drawings for a Stake bed for the F series trucks. Perhaps yo umight consider putting a flat/stake bed on the back.

Here is the link to Bobs drawings:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...s-finally.html

Good luck!

Old 04-14-2009, 12:24 PM
safef3
Junior User
Thanks Julie for the info. I don't know If I mentioned it but I would not put the f1 bed on the full length f3 frame. I was going to have the length took out of it infront of the rear axel and behind. At least that is the plan since the beds for f3s are nearly inpossible to find in good shape. Just for everyones info I got the truck for free, through and inheritance so I can spend a little extra on some of these ideas since I have no cost in it yet. Thanks so much again

Old 04-14-2009, 12:50 PM
Abomination
Senior User
Holy crap!

That's the BEST Express bed picture I've EVER seen!!!!

Got a bigger copy?

~Jason

Originally Posted by Julies Cool F1
Hi and welcome!

Generator first. Take that sucker off and throw it AWAY! There are a couple ways you can go, and it largely depends on your plans to do the best you can Vs your budget.

Like Havi I would have to assume the 12 volt conversion has been done. I had a 289 in my 55 and it was a dream. But the generator on it turned it into a nightmare.

If it were my truck (and your money - tee hee) I would definately change it out to an alternator. Many types are available - Ford, GM, aftermarket.

In that light I would go with a "one wire" style - it has an internal regulator. That will negate the need to buy a regulator and wire it in.

The GM alternators were one wire, and Tuff Stuff makes one wire alternators for Fords. Ford also made one wire alternators for it's later model vehicles.

Here is the link to Tuff Stuff if you want to shop:

Products :: Tuff Stuff Performance

One wire alternators are available just about anywhere - new and used, and there are a number of excellent forums here on record discribing the installation in depth. Here is the link to one of those forums:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/article/...ord_Truck.html

Even with the added expense, I'd definately go with a NEW one wire alternator. I have a Tuff Stuff alternator on my 390 and it's fantastic!

With regard to putting an F1 Bed on your F3 (F2/F3?) it can physically be done but it's gonna look REAL funny. The reason is, the F1 has a shorter wheel base than the F2 and F3. The box on the F1 is smaller and called a "Pick-up" box. The box on the F2+ is called an "Express Box" and is both wider and longer than a "Pick-up" box.

Since you have to center the box over the back wheels, the shorter F1 Box on the longer F2 frame is going to leave a gap between the box and the cab and then there's theproblem of getting running boards to hook up correctly between the front and back fenders.

F2+ boxes in good condition are very difficult to find, and as far as I know are not being reproduced. Maybe you could find one somewhere, or buy a donor truck with one on it inexpensively.

Here's a picture:

Bob Jones just published on this site, CAD drawings for a Stake bed for the F series trucks. Perhaps yo umight consider putting a flat/stake bed on the back.

Here is the link to Bobs drawings:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...s-finally.html

Good luck!

Old 04-14-2009, 01:05 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Abomination
Holy crap!

That's the BEST Express bed picture I've EVER seen!!!!

Got a bigger copy?

~Jason
Yep I'm sure I do! I'll be happy to send it to you. I know I have your real e-mail address somewhere. Let me look for it, but in the mean time just send me a PM with again just in case!

Those ae in the back of the "1944-1952 Body Parts Catalogue" BTW.

Old 04-15-2009, 04:56 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't know If I mentioned it but I would not put the f1 bed on the full length f3 frame. I was going to have the length took out of it in front of the rear axle and behind. At least that is the plan since the beds for f3s are nearly inpossible to find in good shape. Just for everyone's info I got the truck for free, through an inheritance so I can spend a little extra on some of these ideas since I have no cost in it yet. Thanks so much again
Just take eight inches out just behind the cab and another 12 inches off the rear and the F-1 bed will bolt on. You will also need F-1 running boards and rear fenders to make it look right. See my gallery for pictures. I did exactly what you are comtemplating...

Old 04-16-2009, 07:55 AM
safef3
Junior User
Great north, that was very helpful to see. Thats exactly what I am wanting to do. Do I need to look into doing something like you did with the suspension and rearend? Just checking. Someone else has brought that up. I will try to get pics on here so you guys who have seen this stuff can tell me whats best. thanks

Old 04-16-2009, 08:04 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Great north, that was very helpful to see. Thats exactly what I am wanting to do. Do I need to look into doing something like you did with the suspension and rearend? Just checking. Someone else has brought that up. I will try to get pics on here so you guys who have seen this stuff can tell me whats best. thanks
I changed my front and rear suspension because I wanted a truck that I could drive 70 MPH instead of 50. I also wanted a smooth ride, PS, disc brakes, and good handling. If you want the same then using the original suspension under the truck is not what you want to do. What is best is a matter of opinion. I like the parts I used and would not change anything if I had it to do over...

Old 04-16-2009, 09:23 AM
safef3
Junior User
Would a choice in rear components need to be made before cutting the frame...I just thought that it might make a difference if you had different length springs...it may not, I don't know...Also, did you interior painting yourself? If you so, is that a base coat clear coat or some kind of single stage, that was just something I noticed in your gallery that made me think ahead a little.

Quick Reply: F3 questions