Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > General Diesel Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

General Diesel Discussion SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-13-2009, 04:15 PM
Post Fiend

6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.
Truck and Diesel Magazines

I'll just copy and paste.

[===] Hello Ladies and Gentlemen!

What truck magazines are you subscribed to? I've been real interested in Diesel magazines since I picked one up and read through it at a store some time ago. I'm thinking of subscribing to a truck magazine and a diesel magazine but don't know where to go.

By the way is this a good forum for this question? I'm going to head on over to the Diesel section and post this also.

Thanks!

-Bill
[===]

until Lambs become Lions
Add me on FaceBook! https://www.facebook.com/bill.holsinger.5?ref=tn_tnmn
Old 04-13-2009, 11:19 PM
Super Moderator

powerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputation
The magazines really depend on your interests. Like whether you're into a lot of tech articles or would rather look through a lot of show-type vehicles. I read these:

Diesel Power
Diesel Tech
8 Lug Diesel Truck
Diesel Builder
Truck Trend
Four Wheeler

I subscribe to a few of them and the others, I pick up when I see an article I want to read. Before you subscribe, go somewhere like Books A Million, Barnes and Noble, Walden Books, or one of the good bookstores and pick up several. Take them home and read them and get a feel for the ones you'd like to subscribe to. Lots of good magazines out there and you just have to kind of pick and choose according to your interests.

Oh, and by the way, I don't see any problem with posting here but you might want to drop down to the General Automotive Discussion section and post it there also...may get more responses.
2011 F-350 4x4 Lariat Ultimate, Oxford White / Pale Adobe 6.7L PSD 3.55 ELD / Gone but not forgotten.
Moderators, Guidelines, and How They are Enforced / FTE Forum Guidelines

RIP Steve (Bricks) Price........Godspeed my good friend. RIP Paul / Hdslider.....you are truly missed.

Last edited by powerstroke72; 04-13-2009 at 11:21 PM. Reason: add content
Old 04-14-2009, 07:35 AM
Post Fiend

Pocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant future
I prefer Diesel Tech. They only print a new magazine once every 2 months, so you get 6 per year instead of 12. However, they tend to focus more on the technical stuff than a few others. As a promotion, they posted one of their recent magazines online that can be viewed for free:

http://www.dieseltechmag.com/free
478hp/851tq on Haller's dyno - 7/28/12
Your connection to the Colorado diesel community.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:29 AM
Postmaster

brian42 has a great reputation on FTE.brian42 has a great reputation on FTE.brian42 has a great reputation on FTE.brian42 has a great reputation on FTE.brian42 has a great reputation on FTE.brian42 has a great reputation on FTE.
I subscribe to Diesel Power. Always some good tech articles in there. Some of the trucks they write articles about are show trucks or people with bottomless pockets, but for the most part there's always some good stuff in there for the backyard mechanic and family man on a budget.

Diesel World is pretty good too. Not as much good info (at least for me) and a lot more chrome. I check out the new issue at the store when it comes out to see if anything looks interesting. I probably buy 2-3 issues during the year but I don't subscribe.

If you want rigs that cost more than a house, are completely useless outside of a weekend car show and have so much chrome that you have to wear sunglasses to even look in it's direction, then 8 Lug is for you. I was initially excited when I heard about this magazine coming out since it was going to focus on the 3/4-ton and 1-ton trucks, but it is mostly glam. As much as I can appreciate new technology, I don't need 45" tires, 6 TVs, 2 game consoles and 200 square feet of chrome plated parts. It does have it's niche, otherwise it would be out of print by now. My preference is to see a truck that somebody fixed themselves (or with a little help), not some trust fund kid who dropped of his truck at a shop with a blank check and picked it up 6 weeks later. Between Diesel Power, my shop manual and this website (mostly this website) I've been able to keep my rig in top running order and out of the shop since I bought it.

Just my .02
Waiting in the Garage: MBRP exhaust, ISSPRO EV2 gauges, EBPV delete pedestal, 6.0 Intercooler, 6.0 Trans Cooler (26 row)
Old 04-14-2009, 05:25 PM
Posting Guru

Lubbockguy1979 has a good reputation on FTE.Lubbockguy1979 has a good reputation on FTE.Lubbockguy1979 has a good reputation on FTE.
I kinda have the pirate4x4 mentality and like to see what works and why... I like to see beaters and trucks driven by guys like me that are either everyday trucks or something that I would build or buy. I don't like super duper bling. I like big beefy parts. cost efective upgrades that are sensible. I was a subscriber to a couple 4wheel magazines growing up. Now that I'm older I don't care for show trucks. I don't like sponsored vehicles. I want to know what works, what fits, how it works, and most importantly the problems that come with it. Magazines can "turn a pile of crap into a silk purse" with a product mainly because they look at their bottom dollar. They don't want to fully stand behind a product and risk losing advertising dollars if that product isn't paying the bills, or if it will steer another company from buying space. A good example is most diesel magazines have 2+ pages devoted just to banks and clearly on just about every application they are far from the best or most technologically advanced products avalible. Some of the tech is useful but most times guys on forums like all of us have either done it, know someone who has done it or know why it isn't worth putting it on a set of wheels. I would say generally magazines are more for the hobbiest and the arm chair reader. The forums is where you will find out the info that is really useful
Old 04-14-2009, 06:07 PM
Post Fiend

6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubbockguy1979 View Post
I kinda have the pirate4x4 mentality and like to see what works and why... I like to see beaters and trucks driven by guys like me that are either everyday trucks or something that I would build or buy.
I'm the same way. That's why I was asking you guys. I'm tired of all the BLING.. I just want to read about average Joe's building their own rides within reason. Not some $100,000.00 machine that was sponsored.

until Lambs become Lions
Add me on FaceBook! https://www.facebook.com/bill.holsinger.5?ref=tn_tnmn
Old 04-14-2009, 06:07 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > General Diesel Discussion