1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Shipping a truck

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 08:12 AM
hivolt5.0
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thank you all for the great information....it is almost overwhelming, which is a good thing! It'll be this weekend before anything gets finalized on the F5 which gives me some time to consider my options. Again, I really appreciate everyones input. Thank you so very much!

Old 04-14-2009, 09:50 AM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by frankcowan
David I have a retired trucker friend that has hauled several trucks for me to Florida from pretty much every where. Some were very large and heavy... F5, F6... many didn't drive. Here is one he hauled for me.

He has a regular route up the east coast and trys to fill his load each way. His rates are very good. I don't know his schedule or if he would be willing, but if you want his phone number send me an email.

Good luck... there is nothing more exciting than when one finally arrives home.
HiVolt,
Frank's suggestion looks about the best to me for you. I'd give it a try. I transport cars and trucks but I use a fairly large enclosed trailer. I can get full sized vans and one ton pick-ups in it but I doubt I could get your flatbed dually in there, (see www.Rides4Rides.com ). Unless you are lucky enough to get somebody that is filling in dead head miles, consider yourself lucky to get a $2.00/mile quote. Just think about what it costs to operate at 10 MPG or less plus insurance and other fees. I do classic and custom cars & trucks and some unusual stuff. I did an airplane to Phoenix for $2.00/mile which amounted to about a 4K round trip. I would have quoted higher but I wanted to make the trip to look for old stuff in junkyards on the way back. I found one place in Sweetwater, TX but the guy who could make the deal was not there. I came back through Atlanta and picked up a truck I had waiting down there I bought about three months before that.

Big multiple carriers work mostly terminal to terminal or to fixed points that you are required to go to for delivery and pick-up. They can't or won't go to residential addresses due to legal or size restrictions. A guy like Frank mentioned is more likely to do door to door work. If your truck doesn't run then that creates more problems and somtimes results in a higher fee to cover loading and unloading a dead vehicle.

One final point... Be sure to know the physical size, (Length, Width and Height), and weight of the truck and make sure the hauler knows. If he can't load and move it, he won't be able to charge you for going to load it if you make it clear that you will only pay for a successful transport and delivery. U-ship was mentioned earlier. I belong to U-ship and so far I have only moved one vehicle through them. They take 10% of the fee out front before anything is done including letting you personally contact the transporter. I don't know about you but I'm not comfortable with that situation. As a customer I would be very wary of cutting a deal to move a valuable classic or custom car without more assurance through personal contact. Insurance only pays money, they don't replace what can't be replaced. When I see a low ball quote on U-ship I figure there is trouble. A lowball quote usually means the guy is desperate or is going to steal your vehicle and dissapear. Don't laugh... It has happened. That is one reason why I have pictures of my equipment, the vehicles I have moved and my customer's comments posted on my website as well as all my contact and location information. I also keep periodic contact with my customers while in route. I have a policy of getting paid when I deliver unless I am picking up from the paying customer and then I ask for 50% on pick-up and the rest of the payment when the delivery is made. In those cases I call by cell phone and have the people who are taking delivery confirm it at that time. DO NOT pay in advance if you are taking delivery. ALSO, have the payment in cash or whatever you and the transporter agree on.

I hope this helps. As a transporter I have heard some horror stories from people who have tried some of those too good to be true deals.

Later Man...

Old 04-14-2009, 09:59 AM
hivolt5.0
Senior User
Thanks Dave,

Yeah, I sent Frank a PM earlier today asking for the info. And thank you for your response. With your experience as a transporter, I definitely appreciate your candid information. Definitely what I needed.

David

Old 04-14-2009, 10:49 AM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I will vouch for FRANK COWAN and he is a great effie lover and a good guy to deal with. So it comes as no shock he knows a good guy to haul his trucks.....let usknow how it works out......Bill

Old 04-14-2009, 02:32 PM
wmjoe1953
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I agree with Dave Boley. I spent three months filtering and interviewing the shippers I got matched with in U-ship, until I was comfortable with the one I chose. It would of cost me more, but he had to come this way for a load going back for his wife. He cut me a good deal to help with the cost of the trip he would of made for almost nothing.

Old 04-14-2009, 03:07 PM
Abomination
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What about BenD on the HAMB?

~Jason

Old 04-14-2009, 11:26 PM
frankcowan
Senior User
David - sent you some info.

Jason is right that BenD on HAMB comes highly recommended also. I called him to haul an F1 Panel truck when my retired trucker friend was in the hospital. At the time Ben said he was side lined because of the price of fuel (> $4 at the time). Ended up the seller stored the truck until my friend could come get it. Don't know if BenD will haul larger trucks, but definately has alot of satisfied hot roders on the HAMB.

Old 04-20-2009, 02:23 PM
hivolt5.0
Senior User
Well, the deal on the F-5 fell through, such is life I guess, but I appreciate all of the insight you all provided.

Frank, I called the guy you recommend and what a great man. He was very helpful and eventhough I won't be able to utilize his services this time, I'll definitely keep him in mind for any future trucks.

David

Old 04-20-2009, 04:11 PM
theGman
Posting Guru
I recently shipped a car from Miami to Waynesboro, Va. (about 35 miles from Harrisonburg) and had quotes from 550 to 1100 or so. I took one for about $700 and had no problems.

We have also shipped to us from Caifornia (a pickup) at $1300 and Kentucky for about $500.

These are for normal vehicles, and not a stake body, dump truck, etc.

Paul

Old 04-20-2009, 05:39 PM
deyomatic
Senior User
I used Uship.com last September to get my F100 From Marietta to a location just down the street from my house (trailer was too big for my street). The company that "won" did it enclosed for $1100, but I had some quotes that were cheaper.

The way Uship works is that you get people who need to fill one more slot on their truck to make it a profitable trip, so you can get great deals. I had a quote of $700 but that guy had only one feedback and it wasn't good. You can ask and answer questions about the time frame, as well. I had a guy that would have done it for $1000 immediately but I didn't have the seller on the other end all ready. Uship gets my vote.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:53 PM
frankcowan
Senior User
David When a deal falls through that usually means there is better one, cheaper and closer getting ready to surface...lol