Sponsored by: DP Tuner

99psd wont start, battery issue?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 08:55 PM
dakzaag
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99psd wont start, battery issue?

I have a 99 7.3 with 255K on the clock. I have owned it for 3 years and it has been very reliable. I can't recall ever being stranded and I don't think i have had to jump it once in 3 years.

Today I was trouble shooting an 93 f250 with the diesel motor that has been a hard stater all winter. I swapped the batteries from the 99 to the 93 to eliminate the battery question on the 93. Swapping batteries did not help so I put the batteries back in the 99 and of course, it would not start.

When I turn the key on the dash lights do a dance and surge and dim and then when I crank the starter it just clicks, like a dead battery. Put battery charger on and charged for about an hour on the 40 amp setting. Still no start, it turned over a little. Put the charger on 200amp boost, a little more crank but no start. Still getting a weird light show on the dash waiting for the glow plugs to heat.

I think it sounds like a bad ground, but not sure why it would act up after just removing batteries for about an hour. I currently have the charger on trickle and will try again before I hit the sack. Not my Daily Driver anymore, I bought an 02 two weeks ago, but before that 25,000 a year with not one starting problem. Did I mention I have 255,000 miles on this truck? Batteries are 800 plus CCA but I have not replaced them since I bought the truck so I do not know how old they are.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

This is a great site and the diesel section has some of the most intelligent discussion on the fte boards. Thanks for all the ideas over the last three years and for any help on this particular problem.

Old 04-11-2009, 09:08 PM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It sounds like a bad connection or the batteries are toast. You need a lot of power when first turning over a PSD. Between the glow plugs and the starter. Plus the IDM needs to see 10.5 volts in order to fire. I would look into a new set of batteries.

Old 04-11-2009, 09:43 PM
dakzaag
Junior User
Thanks megawatt, but what happened to burn those batteries or is it just coincidence? Like I said that 99 has started like a champ for three years every day. We ran it just two days ago and no problems. And today was in the 50's so not really that cold out?

I detest buying parts trying to solve a problem, if it is the batts, something in the 93 drained them, they were in the 93 for about an hour.

Old 04-11-2009, 09:47 PM
megawatt00
Hotshot
The batteries could have been on the weak side. By putting them in the 93 and trying to start it, it could have just drained the remaining life out of them. You can always charge them and then load test them to see. Where you don't know how old they are I would consider changing them out anyway. You never know when they are going to let you down.

Old 04-11-2009, 09:48 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
There's a chance the batteries were weak, especially since it's not your daily driver anymore, and the excessive cranking with the 93 pushed them over the edge. You might try taking the connections off, cleaning them, and sticking them back on, but I'd suggest taking them to an auto parts store and let them load test the batteries for you. Most stores will do this for free. That way you'll know before you dump money on new batteries.

Edit: Too slow again.

Old 04-11-2009, 09:53 PM
dakzaag
Junior User
Ok thanks for the suggestions. I can get them tested on monday no problem. I hope that is all it is. I want to sell the 93 if I can get the no start fixed. New batteries are not out of the question as I don't know how old they are, but I do know they have been reliable. Would low voltage cause the wierd dash lights issue?

Old 04-11-2009, 09:57 PM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Low voltage will cause all sorts of odd things. From the light issues like you had to chattering relays.

Old 04-12-2009, 08:18 AM
dakzaag
Junior User
Just a quick update, I trickle charged for about 6 hours last night and this am, Still no start and I don't think I am gaining on the crank time, just barely turned over once this am and then Click... It looks like a new set of batteries are in order. Below freezing this morning so that probably contributed to the hard crank.

Old 04-12-2009, 08:32 AM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Here are a couple of thread that you may find intresting to read on the GP system and battery system in our trucks.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...y-q-and-a.html

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...pr-system.html

A fresh set of batteries will take care of your problem. Make sure that your connections are clean and tight and I reccomend using Noalox on the terminals to prevent corrosion.

Keep us posted. Maybe the Easter Bunny should have brought you a set of batteries!!

Old 04-12-2009, 01:40 PM
dakzaag
Junior User
Originally Posted by megawatt00
Here are a couple of thread that you may find intresting to read on the GP system and battery system in our trucks.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...y-q-and-a.html

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...pr-system.html

A fresh set of batteries will take care of your problem. Make sure that your connections are clean and tight and I reccomend using Noalox on the terminals to prevent corrosion.

Keep us posted. Maybe the Easter Bunny should have brought you a set of batteries!!
Nice write up on the batteries and glow plug testing. I never thougt of checking the battery fluid. I have done it before, but don't have a tester right now, I may pick one up. Terminals are good and clean, but the bolts to tighten need scrubbed.

I wish I had confidence in the cable repair ends you can buy. The ones I have used are usually the first thing to fail, I think the best ends need to be crimped on. I am going to have to break down and fix the ends on the 93 I think, if I figure out a good repair, I will probably fix the 99 as they are starting to show some wear.

Glad this is not my daily driver or I would be working on this today instead of easter day family plans.

The bunny left me jelly beans.

Old 04-12-2009, 08:20 PM
megawatt00
Hotshot
That darn rabbit you can't start your truck with jelly beans...what was he thinking?

Some of the ends are much better than others. Your right though the best are the crimp on ones. That's why I have a very expensive set of crimpers! Too bad their in FL at the moment.

Old 04-12-2009, 08:37 PM
dakzaag
Junior User
Originally Posted by megawatt00
Some of the ends are much better than others. Your right though the best are the crimp on ones. That's why I have a very expensive set of crimpers! Too bad their in FL at the moment.
Well I have a crimper, but for smaller wire, nothing that big, but the local napa (20 miles away) can put ends on for me so I will probably go that route when I get that far.

Gonna take a few days as I am starting a block job in another town early tomorrow and plan on working big days to knock it out this week. I will probably get batteries tomorrow and hope that gets the 99 going.

Had the trickle charger on all day today and no start just click. Even on 200 amp boost I couldn't get the truck to turn over, I hope I don't have something else going on. Well one step at a time.

Old 04-12-2009, 08:51 PM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Originally Posted by dakzaag
Well I have a crimper, but for smaller wire, nothing that big, but the local napa (20 miles away) can put ends on for me so I will probably go that route when I get that far.

Gonna take a few days as I am starting a block job in another town early tomorrow and plan on working big days to knock it out this week. I will probably get batteries tomorrow and hope that gets the 99 going.

Had the trickle charger on all day today and no start just click. Even on 200 amp boost I couldn't get the truck to turn over, I hope I don't have something else going on. Well one step at a time.
If you ever need to make up new cables use welding cable much cheaper and better quality. If the batteries are that far gone the charger dosen't have enough juice to fire a 7.3. The GP's draw a lot and add that to the starter. Keep us posted. Good luck on the block job!

Old 04-12-2009, 10:02 PM
dakzaag
Junior User
Thanks for the welder cable idea, I might just try that.

Don't need luck on the block job, just a little time. 18 walls 11 block long 8 courses high, spend more time building leads than laying the fillers. Just me and a tender so should be able to get r done without too much trouble.

Old 04-12-2009, 11:12 PM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Originally Posted by dakzaag
Thanks for the welder cable idea, I might just try that.

Don't need luck on the block job, just a little time. 18 walls 11 block long 8 courses high, spend more time building leads than laying the fillers. Just me and a tender so should be able to get r done without too much trouble.
Yea but good time don;t sound right

Quick Reply: 99psd wont start, battery issue?