1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1st time out this Spring!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 02:39 PM
-Jim G
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up 1st time out this Spring!

This morning I was walking past my neighbor's house and he took the time to show me all of the work that he has accomplished over the Winter on his 1926 Model T roadster truck. He is doing a frame up restoration.

Looking at his work inspired me to give my old Merc a first start for the season. I know that you folks down South cannot relate, but up here the ice is almost off the lakes.

With a little playing with the hand throttle and the choke, she was firing in no time. Once it started, it ran extremely smooth and quiet... better than I remember it from last Fall. I think she likes the old gas!

Several miles later, I put her back in the garage, but now I am ready for the Summer.

Old 04-11-2009, 02:56 PM
podney
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great Job Jim !!!!

Now, I need to get some pics of my 52' F-2 on here for all to see.

Keep on dancin

Old 04-11-2009, 05:14 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Yeah, I know what you're feeling. I want to get both of mine out and on the road now that the sun has been out for more than one day in a roll. Maybe this coming week I'll be able to do. I have to get brakes on the F-2 and a voltage regulator on the panel.

Old 04-11-2009, 05:43 PM
Mr Mayo
Bring out the best!
Hoo-Ray! Spring is here! It must feel great to get your truck out of the garage for the first time this year.

I took this picture of my driveway today:

My truck's not going anywhere anytime soon (even if it DID run)!

Old 04-11-2009, 09:59 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Man, that's exactly what it looked here about a month ago. You make me feel better now. For you southern guys, the white stuff is snow.

Old 04-11-2009, 11:26 PM
Fomoko1
Received 1,351 Likes on 1,110 Posts
We`re not bad, almost dried up here, of course we didn`t get near the snow you did south of us.

Old 04-12-2009, 07:15 AM
-Jim G
Senior User
The time has come

Originally Posted by podney
Now, I need to get some pics of my 52' F-2 on here for all to see.
Podney! You are right, it is time to get a bunch of 'Before' pictures. Spring has sprung.

Old 04-12-2009, 07:45 AM
Last Chance 56
Elder User
We have already been going to carshows since the first of March. I guess living up North has its benefits though. LOL.

Old 04-12-2009, 08:10 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Last Chance 56
We have already been going to carshows since the first of March. I guess living up North has its benefits though. LOL.
Like what? Sub-zero temps? Two seasons; winter/construction? Putting three layers of clothes on, not including clothes normally worn inside, just to go out and get the newspaper. Getting into a frozen car, waiting for the cooling system to warm up enough to turn the heat on. Black ice. Four weeks you're not freezing or cooking, late May and mid September, then when it does get warm we're eaten by mosquito's. The best benefit, the 3, maybe 4, months we can work on and enjoy our trucks!

I suppose you could enjoy the beautiful snow falls, followed by days of sub-zero weather. No, I don't see any real benefits other than our climate doesn't allow all the nasty creatures that thrive "down south" to survive. We don't have problems with scorpions, poisonous snakes (not many) and big bugs. It really doesn't allow us to do much either. I'd move in a second if could. I should have gotten out when I was younger.

Old 04-12-2009, 08:24 AM
raerjim
Fleet Mechanic
Wow. No way I could live up there.

Old 04-12-2009, 08:53 AM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,130 Likes on 2,655 Posts
Originally Posted by bobj49f2

I suppose you could enjoy the beautiful snow falls, followed by days of sub-zero weather. No, I don't see any real benefits other than our climate doesn't allow all the nasty creatures that thrive "down south" to survive. We don't have problems with scorpions, poisonous snakes (not many) and big bugs. It really doesn't allow us to do much either. I'd move in a second if could. I should have gotten out when I was younger.
It's been a very long time since I've been in Florida but I do remember they have spiders big enough to use as hub caps and there was others crawling creatures that would walk off with your shoes when thrown at them

John

Old 04-12-2009, 10:57 AM
bigblockfordman
Senior User
Like what? Sub-zero temps? Two seasons; winter/construction? Putting three layers of clothes on, not including clothes normally worn inside, just to go out and get the newspaper. Getting into a frozen car, waiting for the cooling system to warm up enough to turn the heat on. Black ice. Four weeks you're not freezing or cooking, late May and mid September, then when it does get warm we're eaten by mosquito's. The best benefit, the 3, maybe 4, months we can work on and enjoy our trucks!

One of "THE" biggest reasons, were moving back to beautifull, sunny and warmer So. Colorodo, July 1st !!!!!!......being a Minnesots native, most of my life and as I've gotten "older" has shown me that 3 to 4 months of "nice" weather, is NOT a fair trade off, for being able to work/drive/enjoy 12 months worth of "decent" weather.........I for one have no more desire to keep freezing my A** off anymore!!........the only reason we moved back 2 years ago, was to help my mom out with her ailing health, and now that she's gone......were out'a here!!!.....besides, we can allways come back when it is nice out, to visit!!
Later, Doug

Old 04-13-2009, 07:04 AM
-Jim G
Senior User

Bob,
I, for one, like the cold weather. I like to shovel snow. I like to XC ski, and ice skate on the wide open lakes. Sailing an ice boat is a kick... it'll go faster than my truck and the acceleration really puts you back in your seat.

I used to be an all season bicycle commuter... got studded tires on my mountain bike. When the springtime comes, I adapt and make the best of it, but I am already planning for next winter.

Sub-zero? I say bring it on !!! But then, what do I know? I like trucks with big toothy grins!

Old 04-13-2009, 07:44 AM
Truxx1956
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

We drove our '56 to church yesterday. I almost forgot how much I love driving her.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:08 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Originally Posted by -Jim G
Sub-zero? I say bring it on !!! But then, what do I know? I like trucks with big toothy grins!
I guess that pretty much explains it

Quick Reply: 1st time out this Spring!