Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Best cold air intake and exhaust.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 12:51 AM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Jayybird
One more question, sorry its off the subject. Why does everyone let theire diesel trucks idle? I notice a lot of the old timers do this, just let her sit there and idle. I see this a lot in the construction business. Just curious, thanks
Depends on when, but we will let them idle after a hard tow, or a hard run to allow the turbo to cool off. By letting it idle it allows the oil to circulate and not heat soak into the turbo.

Old 07-11-2009, 01:05 AM
agg_bagg
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am in construction and i let my truck idle all the time. i never really thought about why i do it but if i had to sum it up, its probably because i don't want to start it again lol...

Old 07-11-2009, 01:11 AM
Jayybird
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Does a diesel use a lot of fuel on start up? To justify not turning it off and on..off and on. I am not a mechanical engineer or anything but it seems the nature of the diesel engine is to run continuously similar to jets or tractor trailers. I know growing up on the farm, dad wouldn't let us kill and start ....do that to the tractors. Once you start em, just let em keep running

Old 07-11-2009, 07:24 AM
blue1ton
Senior User
I also have the same set up as Chris ( AIS/ 4" MBRP) so far so good truck has never run better. Turbo is louder and happier.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:26 AM
clux
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jayybird
How well does the magnum force airfilter compare to the stock filter that comes with the truck? Would you switch back to the stock filter? Again, I bought the truck used with this filter & don't have the original. Thanks man
If your pickup is a 2005, the stock system was a donaldson powercore filter. It's an excellent system, and you can often find them on e-bay dirt cheap.

Old 10-29-2014, 03:22 PM
RIPingFOX
New User
There are a number of reasons to idle a diesel truck.
1. To warm up the engine in the morning. The most wear and tear on an engine is when the pistons, rings, oil are cold, there is more friction and stress. Idling also allows warm oil to circulate through Turbo before accelerating.
2. Idling before shut down, this allows the engine to cool down evenly, preventing warping, lockups, and oil build ups. It protects the Turbo and other engine components.
3. Idling between uses, diesel engines are much harder to start, so each start affects the battery and starter life.
4. During startups and shut downs engine components are rotating and moving without oil during shut down. Engine components rotating and moving without oil during startup.

Old 10-25-2016, 03:04 PM
BrokeLoser
Junior User
Lots of threads out there on this...kind of confusing to read through them all. ..thought I'd just revive this oldy.....I'm finally ready to put an intake and exhaust on my truck...what's the good stuff theses days?

Thanks guys!

1999 F350 4dr, long bed on 35" tires...all stock
140k miles

Old 10-25-2016, 04:31 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I believe I can say all the aftermarket systems are good. (yes, even the K&N)

That said, what do you want?

Are you on a budget?

Is noise a concern?

Does it have to look good?

In my opinion.

The 6637 is the best, cheap intake you can get. Some folks don't like the looks or the turbo noise associated with it, but it does the job just fine. If looks and noise are a concern, then this one is not for you.

S&B is a step up certainly! Looks real nice. And is quieter than the above mentioned 6637.

AIS is the most quiet one out there today. Flows real good especially if you're just running stock injectors and turbo. A chip or programmer will not affect its performance, it will handle the air necessary. If you go bigger injectors and turbo, then the S&B or AFE may be a better option.

I do not have any experience with the AFE on a 7.3, but I do have one on a 6.4, and it does quite well.

All of them are great with getting clean air to your motor, which is what you want.

Old 10-25-2016, 04:57 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
For exhaust, 4-inch from Turbo back is more than adequate unless you're going to be pumping some really serious HP's... like over 450 HP.

As for brands, I see more comments about satisfaction for MBRP systems, but Diamond Eye, Magnaflow, and Silverline also get good reports.

Old 10-26-2016, 12:02 AM
BrokeLoser
Junior User
Originally Posted by CampSpringsJohn
I believe I can say all the aftermarket systems are good. (yes, even the K&N)

That said, what do you want?

Are you on a budget?

Is noise a concern?

Does it have to look good?

In my opinion.

The 6637 is the best, cheap intake you can get. Some folks don't like the looks or the turbo noise associated with it, but it does the job just fine. If looks and noise are a concern, then this one is not for you.

S&B is a step up certainly! Looks real nice. And is quieter than the above mentioned 6637.

AIS is the most quiet one out there today. Flows real good especially if you're just running stock injectors and turbo. A chip or programmer will not affect its performance, it will handle the air necessary. If you go bigger injectors and turbo, then the S&B or AFE may be a better option.

I do not have any experience with the AFE on a 7.3, but I do have one on a 6.4, and it does quite well.

All of them are great with getting clean air to your motor, which is what you want.
Wow, thanks for the detailed breakdown...much appreciated. You made it easy for me to make a decision.

Originally Posted by F250_
For exhaust, 4-inch from Turbo back is more than adequate unless you're going to be pumping some really serious HP's... like over 450 HP.

As for brands, I see more comments about satisfaction for MBRP systems, but Diamond Eye, Magnaflow, and Silverline also get good reports.
Thanks!
The aluminized systems are obviously much cheaper...is the stainless system worth the extra cost?

Old 10-26-2016, 07:44 AM
Rikster-7700
Fleet Mechanic
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
That all depends on where you are located and what you will be using the truck for. If you live in the rust belt or hit the beach a lot then a SS should last a lot longer, if not an aluminzed one should work just fine. I have an aluminized one day ready to go on my truck, no concerns about road salt here, and I don't plan on taking this heavy beast on the beach......

Old 10-26-2016, 10:58 AM
JT250
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
I have the AFE 2 I think I have only seen the filter minder move once but that is only because I dont clean the filter often enough. I think the 6637 is the less expensive version of this set up.

Old 10-26-2016, 12:24 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
I'm beginning to lean towards air being pulled through the fender. I run a fipk setup and when it's warm/hhot out, truck doesn't have the snap. When cool/cold, runs great and has a pep to it..(have gauge that tells air temp)

Old 10-26-2016, 01:36 PM
P4IN COMM4NDO
Elder User
I love the 6637 filters. The sound is amazing IMO. You get on it from a stop, get it to about 3rd gear, then let it off. The suction sound is addicting.

As far as exhaust, mine was modified before I bought it. I believe it is a 3" or 4" straight pipe to about a 6" stack, sounds like a friggin semi. Its awesome. Im kinda throwing the idea around of running a normal tailpipe to behind the rear tire, but I dont really want a hole in the bed. But with it right behind the cab you gotta kind of talk louder, but Im usually on my own. The stack does look sweet though IMO.

Old 10-26-2016, 08:41 PM
BrokeLoser
Junior User
Originally Posted by Rikster-7700
That all depends on where you are located and what you will be using the truck for. If you live in the rust belt or hit the beach a lot then a SS should last a lot longer, if not an aluminzed one should work just fine. I have an aluminized one day ready to go on my truck, no concerns about road salt here, and I don't plan on taking this heavy beast on the beach......
I'm thinking about the MBRP T409 stainless setup. It's only $100-ish more than the aluminized kit and $300-ish less than the T304 kit. Guess it's intended to be the middle of the road system.

Originally Posted by JT250
I have the AFE 2 I think I have only seen the filter minder move once but that is only because I dont clean the filter often enough. I think the 6637 is the less expensive version of this set up.
I'm leaning toward the AFE 2....any thoughts on the S&B kit?
Best Cold Air Intake for Ford 7.3 Powerstroke 1998-2003
It sounds like the 6637 is definitely the more aggressive sounding filter.

Originally Posted by timmyboy76
I'm beginning to lean towards air being pulled through the fender. I run a fipk setup and when it's warm/hhot out, truck doesn't have the snap. When cool/cold, runs great and has a pep to it..(have gauge that tells air temp)
Would you be concerned about the extra filter maintenance with it pulling from such a dirty area?

Originally Posted by P4IN COMM4NDO
I love the 6637 filters. The sound is amazing IMO. You get on it from a stop, get it to about 3rd gear, then let it off. The suction sound is addicting.

As far as exhaust, mine was modified before I bought it. I believe it is a 3" or 4" straight pipe to about a 6" stack, sounds like a friggin semi. Its awesome. Im kinda throwing the idea around of running a normal tailpipe to behind the rear tire, but I dont really want a hole in the bed. But with it right behind the cab you gotta kind of talk louder, but Im usually on my own. The stack does look sweet though IMO.
Haha...believe me I love the obnoxious sound of a modified diesel motor / exhaust...but I'm on job sites and parked in front of customer's homes to often for it to be too bad.

Quick Reply: Best cold air intake and exhaust.