Projects Share with other members the details about your project truck or SUV. Old or new, gas or diesel, its all welcome here!

1980 Ford F150 Ranger Lariat

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 08:48 PM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
1980 Ford F150 Ranger Lariat

Here's my project truck.It's a 1980 Ford F100 Custom 4x2.It's got a 4.9 300 I6,a C6 Automatic Transmission,and a 9 inch Rear axle with 2.75 gears.So far i've swapped the cowl panel for one off of a 87-91 F150,to eliminate the fire risk of the old panel,i've swapped the small mirrors for swing types off an 88 Bronco,I've swapped the original wheels for Factory Chrome styled steel rims off of a 92-96 F150.I've also painted the interior black,as well as added a dome/map light,and since the truck never came with one,I added a cargo light too.I've rewired the rear tailight wires since they were all cut by the previous owner.I've also Painted the Gauges white for a brighter display at night.I've swapped oil pans since the old one had a bad drain hole.The truck was bought in 1980 in Souther California,therefore it is a Cali Emissions truck.It was built at the San Jose,California Ford truck plant.During it's life it's made a cross country trip to Florida,where it resides now.I bought it from the original Owner's son for 400 bucks.The truck had been sitting for three years before I bought it.There's no rust where these trucks normally rust,but there is some in a couple places.Some plans for the future include adding Cab clearance lights,rebuilding the 300 and C6,replacing the entire brake system,as well as the cooling system.After that,it should be good to go.I bought the truck in March of 2008,and i've had it for a year now.I plan to have the truck for the rest of my life.I'm only 16,so this is my learning project.I've learned alot working on this old truck.And yes,I do all the work myself.Here's what the truck looked like when I bought it....

Here's what it looks like now.....

Old 04-12-2009, 09:08 PM
19fifty4
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
A job well done, Shaun!

Old 04-26-2009, 09:05 PM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 19fifty4
A job well done, Shaun!
Thanks Mike.I'm very proud of the truck.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:42 PM
FordNFishinLover
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sweet truck man. An for 400 bucks thats a deal! I cant wait to see the progress and i hope it all goes well!

Old 04-29-2009, 06:24 PM
94XLTFLAREI6
Senior User
that looks like a great project truck.....you bought it right too.
have fun working on it

Old 04-29-2009, 08:54 PM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
Thanks ya'll for the nice comments.I really appreciate it.When I saw it I knew it was a good deal.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:12 PM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
Well,I remembered this thread last night,and a few things have changed,so I figure i'd update.
Things that have changed:

-Near Complete Non-A/C Interior out of a 1982 F250 XL Inlcuding:
--Complete dash
--A-Pillar Moldings
--Full length Back of cab trim panels(B-Pillar)
--Windshield and Upper rear window moldings
--Lower rear window molding
--Over door moldings(ties the A-pillar moldings to the B-Pillar moldings)
--Complete gauge cluster with Tachometer and Trip Odometer
--Clock
--Woodgrain Dash Bezels
--HVAC controls
--Glove box
--Near Mint Dash Pad with unmolested speaker grille
--Kick panels with vents
--Visors

-Chrome Door Panel trim Moldings from an 85 F150 XLT Lariat
-Woodgrain Door Panel trim from an 80 F150 Ranger Lariat
-New Rear Taillight Harness(Previously mentioned that I fixed my original one,well I decided to find an unmolested one from the junkyard)
-Amber Marker lights from a 1982 F150
-Custom Wooden Armrests

Basically,everything is Interior Cosmetics.Now for the pics.

In the process of putting in the new interior....

All in:

Back of Cab Trim.You can also see my Wooden Armrests that I made in shop class:

This picture shows the new Chrome Moldings,and the passenger side arm rest:

That's about it for now.Thanks for looking.

Old 01-26-2010, 06:03 PM
19fifty4
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You have been busy! Keep up the good work. Looking forward to seeing more progress in the months ahead.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:18 PM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
Thanks Mike.I'm currently working on adding a radio to it.I've had it for close to two years now(March),and I wish I had more done to it,but what can you do.It looks nice,so it's all good.

Old 03-13-2010, 09:25 PM
mercman86
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice job! Keep up the good work!

Old 03-25-2010, 11:05 PM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
Well,i've done a little more work.

I shined up the interior,and put in the rest of the trim pieces.I was able to get the door panels and map pockets that were in the same truck I got my interior from,and they're now on the truck.I also added some 1980-1984 Lariat woodgrain trim to the door panels.I did away with the wooden armrests as the vinyl armrests on the new door panels are in good condition.The truck did get a factory radio from an 85 F250,but the radio doesn't wanna work,so for now it's a space filler,but it looks good doing it.I also put on an XLT steering wheel,and finished up my custom center console.

I haven't done much to the the outside,but I did clean and wax the entire truck and I also found a factory snorkel setup(don't know the technical term for it),as well as a factory battery support which my truck never had.I also picked up a new grille and marker lights,so now the only things that distinguish the truck's year are the hood letters,Custom Emblems,and the vin and cab sticker.

Now for the pics.

New door Panels before I cleaned them:

After:

It doesn't look like I posted a pic of all the interior pieces together when I first got them back in January,so here is a pic...

And now here's the passenger side door panel and map pockets on the door(I still have to do the driver's side):

This pic is a few weeks old,it still shows the old door panels,but the rest of the interior is the same.

Radio:

I still need to get some new carpet,and a new seat,and some material for the headliner.

Here's the headliner backing:

Here's the outside after I waxed the truck.You can also see the new grille and marker lights.

Here's the 300 with the new snorkel or breather tube,whatever you wanna call it.The previous owner took the original one off,and I know this one isn't original,but it works for now.

That's all I have for now,i'll post again when I do some more work on the truck.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:32 AM
xjay
Freshman User
really cool truck to learn how to do this and that on, man! thanks for the pics of all this progress, i love cheap 'clean-it-up-and-make-a-driver' projects, can't wait to find one for myself again now that i got rid of my 73 Dodge Dart

Old 04-08-2010, 06:26 PM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
Thanks man.I appreciate it.

Good luck on the search.

Old 04-18-2010, 07:11 AM
brian8you
Freshman User
i like the wood it goes great with the exterior seems like you got a great project there i want my f100 back now i6 best engine ever

Old 04-21-2010, 08:41 PM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
Thanks man,I appreciate it.It does look pretty good with the outer color.The I6 is definitely a great engine.My truck has been through hell but that I6 is still ticking.I don't ever plan on selling the truck,cause I know i'd immediately kick myself for it.

Quick Reply: 1980 Ford F150 Ranger Lariat