1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Howdy Doo-Dah!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 06:57 PM
Sixoh
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Howdy Doo-Dah!!

LOL I haven't been on here in a while, and thought I'd check in with the old bunch!

Can we all be proud of Ford Motor Co. for not taking money from the government???

My Effie is in the hands of someone else now, but I'm itching for another one...prob more like '57 this time. But I gotta wait till the moneytree takes root first!

Old 04-10-2009, 07:24 PM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Received 289 Likes on 199 Posts
Howdy Doo-Dah!!

??

Old 04-10-2009, 08:37 PM
mr4speedford
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Been awhile! Hope you and the family are doing good.

Old 04-11-2009, 06:14 AM
Walston
Cargo Master

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Hi guys! 4 speed what are you up to? Some kind of school?

Old 04-11-2009, 06:41 PM
Sixoh
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Yep things are going good, after the Winter of My Discontent! Actually doing restoration projects for customers now - have a '38 Ford p/u in the shop now. I guess that's what has gotten me back in the mood for an Effie.

That and my girlfriend loves old trucks!

Old 04-12-2009, 07:38 AM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 843 Likes on 478 Posts
Shane,

Good to hear from you. Did you happen to notice 4speeds post number........1960.....

Its a different forum these days, not like it used to be.

Stop back more often, take care,
Kevin Bigwin

Old 04-12-2009, 09:30 AM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sixoh
LOL I haven't been on here in a while, and thought I'd check in with the old bunch!

Can we all be proud of Ford Motor Co. for not taking money from the government???

Your question in point above caught my attention. I'm not so sure that pride is the point to be considered. I admit I am encouraged by their ability to stay away from the federal feeding trough so far. I seriously hope that they can hold on and remain as the one American car company that is not taking bail out money.

Consider the historical aspect of Ford Motor Company... Ford led the way for all the other car companies to develop mass produced cars and trucks at prices the common man could afford and at the same time paid a better than average wage for those who worked in the Ford plants. Ford knew that people needed to make enough money to buy the cars. Ford was then and still is a car company. In other words the company was founded to make cars. This is in contrast to GM which was really a big holding company buying up individual car companies.

There is more to this issue than pride in Ford. I see this as a matter of preservation of an unique American entity. Ford and it's 106 year history are major part of our nation's history.

I'm not saying that Chevrolet, Buick and Pontiac, (companies that GM acquired), are not also part of our history. I do believe that they should be preserved as individual companies as they once were. I think they are doomed if they remain under the control of GM. They have already demonstrated their ability to ruin an established brand like Oldsmobile. I just think that the time may be right for the individual brands to stand on their own and for GM to go away and die. They have done little in the last twenty years to make supporting their individual brands a priority. I guess it is all best summed up in the comment a GM president made in the '50s when he said that GM was in ther business of making money, not making cars.

I suppose we can consider Ford's decision to divest itself of the other car companies it owned as a wise decision and be happy that they did it. That is probably their major saving grace to this point.

As individuals the best thing we can do to support Ford is to buy their products and use the parts they make and sell for them. I know it is tempting to run out and buy the Chinese knock-off when we need a part. Truth is, we have all probably done that at one time or another, but now is the time when Ford needs our support if you want them to survive. we are doing more than preserving a brand, we are trying to preserve American jobs.

Later Folks...

Old 04-12-2009, 09:46 AM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
I could sure use a money tree, too, lol.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:17 AM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
Steve----are you back in Santa Cruz Mountains now?--How was it in The middle-East?
Mr.4speed....congrats on the 1960.......LOL
SIXOH----Welcome back. Do you have a resto shop in Columbus? Been busy ? Anyway,hope you get a effie....there is a 56 on epay for 75,000 bucks.....LOL
Bill

Old 04-13-2009, 09:20 AM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
Dave--I have my 53 rewired and new voltage regulator and ignition switch etc....and hope to be cruising tomorrow in it.
I am making the first trip to Canfield to show BILL P. and take him for a cruise......your take on Ford sounds like you were there in 190? LOL

Old 04-13-2009, 10:06 AM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by WALFORD'S 56
Dave--I have my 53 rewired and new voltage regulator and ignition switch etc....and hope to be cruising tomorrow in it.
I am making the first trip to Canfield to show BILL P. and take him for a cruise......your take on Ford sounds like you were there in 190? LOL

He will probably want it back now that you have it all fixed up. Maybe you can sell it back to him. Tell him the red '53 is in the shop now being taken apart. About the only things that will survive the ordeal are the glass, radio, glove box plate, a few body parts, bumbers, tranny, maybe the engine if it will roll, radiator, heater dash cluster, maybe some chassis parts and the title. The frame may be OK for reconditioning but I won't know until it's exposed.

I wasn't there in 190?, (Ijust look like I was), but I have talked to plenty who were and the history is out there to read for anyone who takes the time to do it. It ain't no big secret.

Later Man...