Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks > 1961 - 1963 F100 Unibody
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1961 - 1963 F100 Unibody 1961, 1962 and 1963 Ford F100 Unibody trucks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-10-2009, 05:04 PM
Freshman User

flying4fish is starting off with a positive reputation.
too many, and not enough, power steering posts

I've searched and searched this website for step-by-step instructions for converting manual steering to power steering in a '65 F100. There are lots of posts, and an article, but none seem exactly relevant (the article involves both brakes and steering...much bigger job). I've got all the parts for a straight, simple Bendix bolt-on, but could use some detailed instructions. Did I miss something on the site? Mabye someone could send me a link.

Thanks,
Michael
Old 04-10-2009, 05:45 PM
Post Fiend

jowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to behold
https://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn jowilker
Don't do it. The Bendix is a POS. The reason you see the disc brake/power steering upgrade is because so many of the parts work together and a single pass is a much better result. IMHO

John
Old 04-10-2009, 06:33 PM
Freshman User

flying4fish is starting off with a positive reputation.
I don't want to replace my front end and I don't want to have to cut down my steering column to make the non-Bendix solutions work. So, Bendix is the only reasonable solution. I can live with the drum brakes.

Michael
Old 04-11-2009, 06:43 AM
Post Fiend

jowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to behold
https://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn jowilker
No prob Michael, it's your truck and your call. FYI you swap the steering column with the gear so you don't have to cut anything. I run a 76 column in my 66.

Good luck anyways.

John
Old 04-11-2009, 10:24 AM
Postmaster

daveengelson has a good reputation on FTE.daveengelson has a good reputation on FTE.daveengelson has a good reputation on FTE.
Michael, there's another Ford truck forum 67-72, would not be appropriate to post the link, however, google 'The 67-72 pickup resource' it will take you to the website. Believe the info is the same but just to be certain, compare part #'s. Couple of other article on the forum may want to review. Considered Bendix but since the 65 has the T18 4 speed, with minor modification, found it did not require shortening the column. Have another 65 intend installing p/s and salvaged a later column, fiqure I can swap the dash mount brackets with original, appears brackets held on with few tac welds and should not be that difficult. If going with the Bendix, it will not be an issue. If decide to shorten column going by the article in the other truck forum, make sure to take measurements, not sure the articles' measurements are correct. Anyhow, that's about the only other source I know of.

Dave
65F100, 302ci, T18, swb, flareside,front disc. PS, Duraspark Ign.(Daily Driver)
65F100, 390ci, 3sp.OD, lwb, styleside, front disc., Duraspark Ign.
Old 04-11-2009, 05:32 PM
New User

UniRED is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm trying to put power steering on my 1961 ford f100 unibody. Is this possible? can someone lead me to the right direction.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:18 PM
Senior User

booneyrat75 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniRED View Post
I'm trying to put power steering on my 1961 ford f100 unibody. Is this possible? can someone lead me to the right direction.
Check out this thread and let me know if I can help!
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/84...ring-help.html
Old 04-23-2009, 11:18 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks > 1961 - 1963 F100 Unibody

Tags
1966, conversion, ford, manual, power, steering, step, truck