1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear U-Joints Remove/Replace (Info / Help Please)

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 12:24 AM
_Rick_
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rear U-Joints Remove/Replace (Info / Help Please)

Hi Fellas,

Can someone please point me to some info or help me with some info on getting the two rear u-joints removed and replaced on my Truck.
2002 Supreduty / CC / 4x4 / V10.
I have the shaft out but I am having trouble figuring out how to get the ujoints removed.

I really need this done now. Somehow search shows me nothing, not even google.

Thanks

Old 04-10-2009, 06:00 AM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If I remember correctly there are two "C" clips between the "U" joint and the yoke of the shaft holding them in place. Probably covered with dirt so they can be hard to see, you have to dig those out. I then usually use a big socket and a hammer(since I don't have a arbor press) to take the old joint out. Put a large socket or something that will fit over the yoke but still let the cap of the U joint enter on a sturdy bench or the cement of your driveway. Hit the opposite cap down with another junk socket or a big drift into the socket or pipe until it is free. Now if the cap is frozen on the joint it might be tough to get it off but once the joint is free of the yoke on the driveshaft get the old cap off. Sometimes there is room to twist what is left of the joint assembly out of the yoke, if not you reverse what your doing and pound the other side out. Clean the yoke good, deburr if you have caused any burrs and assemble the new one the opposite of what you just did. Before the new one is all the way in install the one C clip and finish installing the joint, then install the other C clip. Be care full not to pound on the yoke, you don't want to close that distance up or you will never get the clips on, I have had them where I had to come up with something to spread the yoke ever so slightly to reinstall the clips, can be a pain but it isn't that difficult. Also be careful when installing the new joint that the needle bearings stay in place, that can be a pain also, if one falls down you will never get the clips back in and will ruin that joint. I have heard that you can use a ball joint press to change the joints but have not had a chance to try mine out like that yet. Good luck, hope this helps.

Old 04-10-2009, 08:08 PM
_Rick_
Elder User
Thanks for the reply bubbasz1,

I couldn't follow your directions too well but thanks anyways (really) <smile>

I had a bit of a struggle but I got it done after some thinking it through before jumping into it.
Now onto the hubs.

Rick...

Last edited by _Rick_; 04-10-2009 at 08:09 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-10-2009, 09:39 PM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Without pictures it's hard to walk through all the steps, at least it's done, good luck on the hubs.

Old 04-11-2009, 07:07 PM
_Rick_
Elder User
Agreed,,, pictures are worth a thousand words.
I just figured someone might know the process off hand and might be able to spell it out for me (abc 123) Amywho,,, it's done and it runs fine,,,

NOTE:
I stopped my local oil change shop yesterday after the ujoints were done... Did a full tranny service with Royal Purple ATF / flush / filter. I just want to say that I did notice a difference with tighter/smoother shifting (if the makes any sense) through all the gears with the exception of OD. The old standard fluid was pretty clean and looked healthy, but the Royal Purple still did seem to make a noticable difference.
Also did a full oil service. Flush/filter and also went with Royal Purple 5/20. I can't say I can feel a difference in performace, but I do feel better knowing the Truck is now running on all full synthetic fluids.
Pricey, but hopefully worth it in the long run.

Heading off for a 800 mile highway trip in a few minutes so if anythings to report (RE: Royal Purple) comes up I'll post when I return.

Originally Posted by bubbasz1
Without pictures it's hard to walk through all the steps, at least it's done, good luck on the hubs.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:23 PM
_Rick_
Elder User
After the royal treatment

Hi Fellas,

I've been out of the loop for awhile with things goin on but thought I would update a couple things for information sake.

RE: Royal Purple complete Trans service:
After a couple of months of driving after the service all seems well with the tranny. Still shifting very nicely for me with no issues so far.

RE: Royal Purple complete oil service:
I still can't say that I've noticed a difference in performace, but I have confirmed a "slightly" better fuel economy using the factory overhead console gauge. In the city it was a fairly steady 9.4 mpg and now a steady 9.6 mpg. On the highway it was a fairly steady 9.7 mpg and now a fairly steady 9.8/9.9 mpg.

It's not a big lottery win, but at least a difference and piece of mind knowing the trans and engine is running all synthetic.