1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

1966 Restoration Project Updated for new membes to see and for the curent mebers too.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 10:19 PM
66 twin i
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1966 Restoration Project Updated for new membes to see and for the curent mebers too.

Hi guys, its been a long time since i have posted anything. I try to check in once in awhile to see whats going on but just cant get to checking everyday. I noticed some new people on board so i though i would re update some progress on my restoration. Just a quick back ground on the project. The truck used to be my grandpas that we went fishing in every week when i was a kid. After he passed away my uncle got the truck and had it for about 8 years befor i could talk him into selling it to me. I was 16 i think when i got it from him and it sat at my parents house till about two years ago when i decided that its time to fix it up. It has the usual rusted spots cab mounts floors door jamb cab corners firewall fenders you get the idea. I have started on the cab because that was going to be the hardest thing to do plus if the cab isnt right the rest of the truck wont be either. I have replaced the firewll, rebuilt the door jambs, replaced the right rocker and cab corner. I am currently working on the cab mounts and floors . I have another post on another site on the same project. I will give the links to the thread and the photo gallery with all my pictures up to date. Thanks Justin

Metal Meet Forums

Metal Meet Photo Gallery - 1966 Ford F 100 - Powered by PhotoPost

Old 04-09-2009, 10:37 PM
dman2008
Posting Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Wow I checked out your gallery and lets just say that is some bad rust! I have some on my 64 but not like your 66 and lets just say I did cab corners and floor pans and front cab mounts and I have just sandblasted it and I am glad that mine is no where as bad as yours! I feel for you I am getting anxious to get onto the next part and am getting tired of welding. Well keep at it and have fun!

D

Old 04-10-2009, 12:59 AM
camperspecial65
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Justin, I tried to look at the links you listed below your main post, both took me to Blue Oval truck Parts...
I went to your gallery...there is 6 pics I believe...if theres more aside from in the gallery, let us know...as bad as the cancer was in that, I definately wanna see how things are shaking out.

- cs65

Old 04-10-2009, 10:22 PM
66 twin i
Senior User
Old 04-10-2009, 10:23 PM
66 twin i
Senior User
Old 04-10-2009, 10:25 PM
66 twin i
Senior User
Hi guys i put new links in and they worked once then they went to blue oval s web page. I will see if i can get fixed. Justin

Old 04-12-2009, 04:17 PM
Customcab
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Great work; way beyond my skills; Justin I realize your truck has a family history, but I would of probably found a more solid cab and then replace the other parts like your grandpa's front clip etc onto a different cab.
Just my thoughts; your doing a great job, and old guys like me are learning from watching.

Mitch

Old 04-12-2009, 08:49 PM
Wyatt66f100
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
hey your not alone man. i've got one too thats not near that bad but its still sentamental. was my grandpas too. good guys, grandpas, aren't they? anyways nice metal work for your age. im right about your age too and just about the only thing about car and trucks i dont get is metal work. amazing. do you have any prior experience with metal or do you just do research? buy your own welder and all that too? how hard is it? i want to learn... thanks for the update!

Old 04-12-2009, 09:05 PM
Butcher's Capri
New User
1953 lincoln capri found in field dead

i uncovered a 1953 Lincoln Capri notorious winner in the early 50's PanAm racing circuit. all original intact down to the crome logos and 317.5CI Y Block motor frozen. please advise or feel free to forward to anyone in the fourm you know that has knowledge of the rare find. im picking it up in a few days.
Originally Posted by 66 twin i
Hi guys, its been a long time since i have posted anything. I try to check in once in awhile to see whats going on but just cant get to checking everyday. I noticed some new people on board so i though i would re update some progress on my restoration. Just a quick back ground on the project. The truck used to be my grandpas that we went fishing in every week when i was a kid. After he passed away my uncle got the truck and had it for about 8 years befor i could talk him into selling it to me. I was 16 i think when i got it from him and it sat at my parents house till about two years ago when i decided that its time to fix it up. It has the usual rusted spots cab mounts floors door jamb cab corners firewall fenders you get the idea. I have started on the cab because that was going to be the hardest thing to do plus if the cab isnt right the rest of the truck wont be either. I have replaced the firewll, rebuilt the door jambs, replaced the right rocker and cab corner. I am currently working on the cab mounts and floors . I have another post on another site on the same project. I will give the links to the thread and the photo gallery with all my pictures up to date. Thanks Justin

Metal Meet Forums

Metal Meet Photo Gallery - 1966 Ford F 100 - Powered by PhotoPost

Old 04-13-2009, 08:21 PM
66 twin i
Senior User
Wyatt I went to school for body work and we did do a little metal work. I have read the books, watched on tv, and read every metal work artical in just about evey magazine i get my hand on. The best place i found for metal work is another forum called Metal Meet. The knowlage on there is amazing and there is always someone to help you out if you have questions. There are many regional meets all over the country where you can get a lot of hands on experiene and very good advice. Just need to jump in and get your hands dirty. Justin

Old 04-14-2009, 09:13 PM
Wyatt66f100
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 66 twin i
Wyatt I went to school for body work and we did do a little metal work. I have read the books, watched on tv, and read every metal work artical in just about evey magazine i get my hand on. The best place i found for metal work is another forum called Metal Meet. The knowlage on there is amazing and there is always someone to help you out if you have questions. There are many regional meets all over the country where you can get a lot of hands on experiene and very good advice. Just need to jump in and get your hands dirty. Justin
cool ill give it a shot

Old 05-12-2009, 10:22 PM
66 twin i
Senior User
Made some progress

Hello all. I did make a small step forward this weekend. I managed to get the kick panel that i replaced once (but decided to do over) cut out and the new one welded in. It looks a lot nicer than the other one. I didnt get any new pics because my wife had the camera. It will be a few weeks before i get back to working on it. Going to sunny California for some DuPont water base paint trainig. Cant wait to get there!

Old 08-12-2009, 09:39 PM
66 twin i
Senior User
lets try this for the pics. go to www.metalmeet.com select user gallerys
search for the gallery are in alphabetical order so go to the j then look for Justin C that should get to my gallery. I need to update my pictures. I have since cut out the aftermarket floor and cab mount and put in used from a donor vehicle. The drivers side is done i just dont have pics yet, but they are on my todo list. Thanks

Old 08-15-2009, 01:33 PM
66 twin i
Senior User
Pictures

Here are the pictures i promissed. The first one is the cab mount welded in and the cab sitting on the frame. It looks a lot better than it did before.

This is the drivers side floor pan all welded in place.

Finally this is the kick pannel i made a the Minnisota Spring meet hosted by Dan Pate (route56wingnut) I used his pullmax to put the beads in. It was the first time i used a pullmax, now i want one.

<!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->

Old 08-15-2009, 05:00 PM
masterqi
Senior User
Originally Posted by Butcher's Capri
i uncovered a 1953 Lincoln Capri notorious winner in the early 50's PanAm racing circuit. all original intact down to the crome logos and 317.5CI Y Block motor frozen. please advise or feel free to forward to anyone in the fourm you know that has knowledge of the rare find. im picking it up in a few days.
What does that have to do with...anything?