General Automotive Discussion

Vintage Dealership Photos....

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 03:58 PM
absalom, absalom
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you paid a penny to copyright 80 year-old photos that you did not take, ask your attorneys why they took your money without copyrighting the photos, then sue them. Seriously.

Old 01-12-2015, 05:05 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Watching.......

Old 01-14-2015, 12:30 AM
mpwbw
Senior User
Originally Posted by IB Tim
Watching.......
Same here. I like seeing old photos, but it is sad that everything involves lawyers. Guess the old saying is true, 'We hate them, until we need them'.

Old 01-14-2015, 07:00 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
Originally Posted by storyart
Wow so glad you cleared this up for me... All the money spent on copyright attorneys has clearly been ill spent.... Don't I feel silly... I will copy this and send it on to them, maybe I can get a rebate on their fees obliviously according to you for their bad advice... copyright issue aside it would have been nice for the poster to acknowledge the person who saved the image for future generations and made it available to the public.... if not for me and my efforts not one of them would have survived (the Houston images).... alas SJSIII
What a buffoon! Snarky, self-righteous and bordering on claiming benefit to mankind even though its already stated images here were in no way obtained from any form of publishing "storyart" has rights to.

Old 01-18-2015, 08:00 PM
absalom, absalom
New User
Originally Posted by JWA
What a buffoon! Snarky, self-righteous and bordering on claiming benefit to mankind even though its already stated images here were in no way obtained from any form of publishing "storyart" has rights to.

StoryArt should be crediting the original photographer. You know, the guy who actually took the photographs. Storyart's father rescued them from the ash heap of history and somehow Storyart thinks he owns exclusive rights to them.

Having said that, I do agree that if the original poster took them from StoryArt's website StoryArt should be credited, but the original poster claims he got them elsewhere.

But the copyright to these photos have long since expired, assuming they were even copyrighted by whomever took them in the first place. Unlike today, when copyright is established at the moment the photograph is taken, that was not the case back then. These photos may NEVER have been copyrighted.

Old 01-18-2015, 09:32 PM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 79 Posts
Hard to credit the original photographer for every photo, some photos just don't know who took them.

The one of the Ford dealership that I posted, I could find no information on who took that photo or exactly when it was taken I could only make a general estimate based off the photo itself.

Old 01-18-2015, 09:39 PM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by storyart
copyright issue aside it would have been nice for the poster to acknowledge the person who saved the image for future generations and made it available to the public.... if not for me and my efforts not one of them would have survived (the Houston images).... alas SJSIII

I will say that it is nice that the photos were saved. but now as far as giving credit where due, you did not seek to be given credit for saving the photos but you thrown your weight around with copyright infringement threats to start off with.

I have no problem saying these photos were saved from being destroyed by a specific people or group of people, this is what Marti Report did they gave credit to one person who saved thousands of printouts for cars that Ford was just going to destroy. What I think is that it should have been handled differently. I have to say that since this all came about I have not spent a dime on your books nor have I recommended your product to anyone else because I feel that you are all about money and not about preserving history for future generations.