Sponsored by: DP Tuner

superchips DPI?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 10:04 PM
maxtruck00
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
superchips DPI?

does anyone know if superchips stoped making their propane injection kit?

Old 04-09-2009, 01:33 AM
Lovin7.3
Elder User
I dont think they do anymore. I couldnt bring any up on my dealer page. Might try bully dog. Propane

Old 04-09-2009, 08:53 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
DPP sells it: Superchips Propane

Of course the million dollar question is: what are you going to use propane for? If you are just going to eek out a small bit of propane for some slight mileage gains, then fine. If you plan to try to get some big power using propane, then that's a big no no.

Propane for diesels is not as popular as it used to be. Once engines started popping left and right, people figured out real quick what was happening.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:03 PM
maxtruck00
Senior User
i already have the SC DPI and yes i use very little of it simply for milage gains and to help with turbo lag. (6 speed)

i have not seen many propane ads in a while and i am getting concerned that in the future i may need parts or tech help and there will be nowhere to turn.

Old 02-07-2010, 01:32 AM
z scpaes
Junior User
What kind of mileage gains are you getting? I bought the DPI kit because it was the safest kit available from what I read, Now i found out that I can't use it on my 91 7.3L because the trucks's not ECM. Ineed a newer truck

Old 02-07-2010, 06:57 PM
maxtruck00
Senior User
i see mileage gains of 2-3 MPG. but i only use a 30HP shot.. i got it to make the turbo spin, not to use the explosion of the propane to make power.. i think also of people don't think about that when it comes to propane; but propane expands something like 5000 times when it comes in contact with air. which of course is going to make the compressor MOVE. i also don't use it all the time, i have a DP tuner with propane tunes and regular diesel tunes; it makes plenty of power and gets good mileage when i am not towing so i only really use it when i am towing.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:38 PM
z scpaes
Junior User
I'm with you, not to concerned about the HP gains. I wanted better MPG. I'll be waiting for a system designed for the prePSD engine I guess

Old 02-07-2010, 09:55 PM
maxtruck00
Senior User
there is the bully dog system, cheaper, it is also tuneable; the system can be "jetted" down.
if i were to do it again i think i would use that system, the bad thing about the Superchips system is that it is a liquid system, which is a good thing, normally, but if the sensor senses any gas at the mixer the system will shut down. now this only happens on rare occasion, but if the line under the truck gets hot enough from say a sun beaten road the liquid will turn to gas shutting the system down. the bad thing about this is your EGT will climb in a hurry because you engine timing is retarded for the propane. remove the propane and the engine is firing late generating a sort of phantom load and creating alot of cylinder heat. blah blah blah.... but it is a very safe system IMHO
i wonder why people stopped using propane?? scared? i dunno ALOT of people use water meth injection.. last time i checked you can't compress water, that seems more scary....water injector leak, inspection hole in block...
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Old 02-07-2010, 10:32 PM
z scpaes
Junior User
Meth injection is scary to me. I think everyone bases there opinion about propane systems from the bad experience others have had using homeade or cheap injection systems. I've already bought this superchips DPI kit and I'm not sure what I'll do with it now. It's not eating anything, I'll prolly hang on to it until the time comes for a newer truck. If it were up to me, propane would be a requirement in the USA. everyone would have to use a fuel system that didn't require foreign imported sources. Propane is a simple solution to alot of our climate/environement/polution issues also. Not saying that it's the only answer but we don't import any propane from terrorist bomb happy countries.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:15 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Propane is a fuel. Period. When introduced into the cylinder with the air, you have no control over detonation. That's where problems start. Shoving too much propane into the cylinders causes advanced detonation, and results in higher cylinder pressures. High CP's = broken rod. That's why propane is not popular. Too many blown engines from people trying to get extra hp from propane.

Personally, I would never run propane on my engine. Too many risks. I can control fueling much easier from the injectors, not so much from propane.