1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Father & Son bonding, Geezer style...

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 09:33 AM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Father & Son bonding, Geezer style...

Hi Folks,
We're now half way through my son and his wife's week long visit. They live 600 miles away around Atlanta so we only get together a few times a year. My wife and daughter-in-law are busy making quilts and going to quilting shops. Meanwhile, my son and I have been busy stripping several donor vehicles that I have collected for stuff for my '53s. Today we are off to the scrap yard to get rid of a trailer load of stuff and tomorrow we're off to the Pull-a-Part yards in Cleveland. This is male bonding at it's best. CLICK HERE to see some of the damage we have done so far, or you can get there by visiting my www.Darkside53.info page.

Stay tuned for further developments.

Later Folks...

Old 04-08-2009, 10:21 AM
3golfjack
Laughing Gas

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Looks like you'll getting a lot done. Allways great when you get the son helping. I have three sons 28,21,19 none of them at this time care much about helping work on a old truck at this time. Two oldest sons all they think about is heading to the golf course. Youngest one spents all his time working and going to school.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:38 AM
edzakory
Elder User
My Dad's idea of bonding when I came home from college on the weekends was for me to change the oil, to wash the car, and to cut the grass.

His tool arsenal consisted of a hammer and screwdriver that he kept in a "junk" drawer; "his hands were meant for different work".

You have a great shop and years of wisdom to teach. There's nothing like a project to share your talent and to admire your accomplishments.

Keep up the good work.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:02 AM
Glockem45
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I swear Dave, if you didn't have Max there to help you could you have done all that by yourself? I bet he makes a great supervisor.

Old 04-08-2009, 03:28 PM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
Keep him busy,Dave; or he will get the feeling that it is cold up here and decide to go home..haha
I still have 3 sets of 53-56 f600 fenders....will be getting them out soon as snow clears and blast and prime em up. I will be working on the big 56 and take box off after Easter....and then cruise in the big56 ........oh yea spring is coming!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-08-2009, 05:45 PM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 3golfjack
Looks like you'll getting a lot done. Allways great when you get the son helping. I have three sons 28,21,19 none of them at this time care much about helping work on a old truck at this time. Two oldest sons all they think about is heading to the golf course. Youngest one spents all his time working and going to school.
Hi Jack,
My son will be 40 in October and I just hit 64 on Sunday. I think we both realize that the constraints of time remaining make this time more valuable to both of us. He was an only child and when he was growing up we lived way out in the sticks with the nearest neighbor being a mile away so we spent a lot of time together in the shop back then. He has a '53 too that he wants to do some really different stuff to. The old man still has a few tricks up his sleeve to teach the boy.

Later Man...

Old 04-08-2009, 05:49 PM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by edzakory
My Dad's idea of bonding when I came home from college on the weekends was for me to change the oil, to wash the car, and to cut the grass.

His tool arsenal consisted of a hammer and screwdriver that he kept in a "junk" drawer; "his hands were meant for different work".

You have a great shop and years of wisdom to teach. There's nothing like a project to share your talent and to admire your accomplishments.

Keep up the good work.
I was an only child as is my son and my dad was one of those guys that would go down to the garage with me on week nights after work when I am sure he could have used the rest after a day of hard work on industrial construction jobs. I guess I just always tried to pass it on. Un fortunately the situation you describe is more the norm than the exception.

Later Man...

Old 04-08-2009, 05:53 PM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Glockem45
I swear Dave, if you didn't have Max there to help you could you have done all that by yourself? I bet he makes a great supervisor.
Max is my son's dog but he has a special thing for his grampa, (that's me). He loves trucks and hangin' with the guys. My dog is a female Rottweiler named Cyndi who is a big sweetie but her kind of love is sometimes painful and results in minor injuries.

Later Man...

Old 04-08-2009, 06:10 PM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by WALFORD'S 56
Keep him busy,Dave; or he will get the feeling that it is cold up here and decide to go home..haha
I still have 3 sets of 53-56 f600 fenders....will be getting them out soon as snow clears and blast and prime em up. I will be working on the big 56 and take box off after Easter....and then cruise in the big56 ........oh yea spring is coming!!!!!!!!!
Hi Bill,
I think he's keepin' me busy. The odd thing is that for the past two days the weather down his way has been just as bad as here including a little snow.

I told Sean about your fenders.

Later Man...

Old 04-08-2009, 07:10 PM
grumpy46
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no matter what the world throw's at you, it's times like these that makes it all worth while. your one lucky man.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:16 PM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by grumpy46
no matter what the world throw's at you, it's times like these that makes it all worth while. your one lucky man.
Don't I know it ...

Old 04-09-2009, 05:29 AM
Drewski 2
Laughing Gas
Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts
If your son or daughter has any interest in you car hobby, consider yourself lucky. My son grew up exposed to my hot rodding ways and he has zero interest in anything automotive related. Now video games.... that's another story. My daughter on the other hand expressed a mild interest in the hobby by helping me with paint preparation, and helping clean up our show car.

My grandson, now 15, has never been around the automotive hobby other than when he is with me and he is nuts about anything with wheels. He spent some time with me last summer and we got a lot done on the F100. If he lived closer to me, I'd probably get my truck finished sooner. He worked me hard, getting up early every morning and wanting to know what we're going to do to the truck today. Taught him how to weld and within an hour he knew how to set up the machine and was doing very solid welds. He did a lot finish welding on my truck during his stay.

We had a great summer vacation together!

Andrew

Old 04-09-2009, 09:09 PM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Drewski 2
If your son or daughter has any interest in you car hobby, consider yourself lucky. My son grew up exposed to my hot rodding ways and he has zero interest in anything automotive related. Now video games.... that's another story. My daughter on the other hand expressed a mild interest in the hobby by helping me with paint preparation, and helping clean up our show car.

My grandson, now 15, has never been around the automotive hobby other than when he is with me and he is nuts about anything with wheels. He spent some time with me last summer and we got a lot done on the F100. If he lived closer to me, I'd probably get my truck finished sooner. He worked me hard, getting up early every morning and wanting to know what we're going to do to the truck today. Taught him how to weld and within an hour he knew how to set up the machine and was doing very solid welds. He did a lot finish welding on my truck during his stay.

We had a great summer vacation together!

Andrew
Hi Andrew,
My step grand son is one of those video game freaks. I think those damn things have pickled too many brains. O f course parents give then to them so go figure...