5.4L and Supercharger questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 09:17 AM
Captain Dune
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.4L and Supercharger questions

Well, i recently purchased a ford F150 and have had alot of Fab work done to it, and its now a full fledged prerunner truck with 20" travel front and rear. 488 gears pushing 37" tires is nice, but the stock motor feels like its really dragging me down in the sand.

So heres my question, if I wanted to supercharge this motor, a stock 5.4L, what all would I have to swap out or upgrade in order to handle the extra hp? Also, this motor has 100k miles on it, the last 20 or so driven pretty hard. Would it be smarter of me to just find a newer motor from a wrecked truck and build that? Or will the motor I have in it now be able to handle it with the rebuild? Also, at 99k miles, the 7th cyl spark plug blew and I had to have it helicoiled.

Before you answer, keep in mind that most of my tech knowledge is with fab work and the off road sense. I don't really work with motors much, so if you could bear with me, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-12-2009, 11:12 AM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Welcome aboard.

If you could find a Lightning or SC HD edition dodnor truck, you can get all that you need from them. An aftermarket kit should come with everything needed.
If it isn't burning oil or knocking, I would just have all 8 plug holes redone to keep any more from blowing out under boost.

Old 04-13-2009, 10:57 AM
Captain Dune
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks a ton for the tip, ive already had to helicoil cyl #7 from a spark plug blowout, is this going to to be able to survive the increase in compression with a supercharger?

Old 04-13-2009, 04:43 PM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
With enough fuel and a proper tune, it will be fine.