Sponsored by:

new '04 owner

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 02:24 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
new '04 owner

hey guys! i'm 19 and just bought a 2004 V10 4x4 XLT with 80k miles on it. i wanted a limited but i found this XLT with rear DVD, backup sensors, ajust pedles, 6 disk cd and decided an XLT would be ok lol

i've been a huge fan of these trucks since they came out and always wanted one..with my new job i was finally able to afford one.

i searched for a few weeks and had a few sold out from under me, but i finally found this '04 at a local dealer for a decent price and apparently it had 3 other appointments that day to be test drove..ect so im glad i jumped on it when i did lol

i'm trying to keep this my "stock" daily driver so i can dump all my extra money into my explorer's V8 swap..but i'm finding that hard to do. i allready have a luandry list of things i want to do to the excursion including intake/exhaust, programer,'09 mirrors, '07 grill, factory fogs with HIDs, LED tails/front turnsignals and paint to match some parts and thats just the start lol

heres a few pics of my beast, i allready added 6K HIDs to it

Old 04-07-2009, 07:07 PM
Cardiac69
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very nice, indeed. You will love it. Now get off of this forum or you will be hopelessly addicted and will spend tons of money on useless crap that you just have to have for the X. I just put on a Bodiak front hitch for hauling my kids bikes and scooter.....

Old 04-07-2009, 10:33 PM
wallz
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like you did get a limited minus the leather and the price of one. Nice score. Like said above the longer you stay here the more it will cost you in mods and general upgrades and the like. But then if you do your own maintenance you will save by getting excellent info on here. "kinda like a double edged sword"
I started with the good old dog ear mirrors like yours and glad I finally upgraded to the 08's. Even functionally better than the old ones.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:04 PM
mlshelton
Senior User
Funny how I guess I didn't realize it until I saw it on the screen...the prior posts are correct. Disconnect your computer now and never login here again. A majority of the "cool" things I did to my X - a vehicle that was perfectly fine for what it was, which has logged maybe 6k miles in the past 12 months - are attributed to the stupid ideas I get on this site late at night and I somehow convince myself money is no object.

Truthfully, the site has saved me a ton of money too and I've learned something. Just have fun with it and congrats on your truck.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:20 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

thanks guys! yes i know how the forums go, i spent many a day on the explorer forums..i've dumped more money then i'd like to admit into my explorer and the reason i bought the excursion was so i could have some down time with it and swap a V8 into the explorer lol

tomarrow i'm having my mechanic look over the excursion, i've allready found one small thing it needs the pass side vent window is coming off the hinge..seems to me the idea of gluing the window onto 2 small hinges was not a smart one lol otherwise it runs/drives great and everything works as it should but i just want to double check.

since it came with a 60 day/ 3,000 mile warrenty anything that should be found would be coverd by the dealer..i would have had this done before buying but things went so fast i didnt have much time.

i think one of my first upgrades will be brakes..i'm thinking EBC drilled rotors and green pads. from what i've read they are a good upgrade?

Old 04-09-2009, 12:08 AM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Nice truck! I always liked the red ones. And the XLT cladding always looked nicer to me than the Arizona Beige on some Limiteds.

So whatchya gonna paint? handles?

Originally Posted by mlshelton
A majority of the "cool" things I did to my X - a vehicle that was perfectly fine for what it was, which has logged maybe 6k miles in the past 12 months - are attributed to the stupid ideas I get on this site late at night and I somehow convince myself money is no object.
No truer words have ever been typed here.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:21 AM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

when the paint gets done i've got a few things in mind.. mirrors, wiper cowl, door handles, lower valance, rear bumper trim...

what i havent decided on is if i want to get rid of the chrome and grey cladding and go all red...basicly making a red limited(find some limited cladding/flares) or to keep the grey and embrace the xlt-ness haha that i have not decided.

anyone have suggestions on exhaust for the V10? i've been debating between some mufflers i allready have flowmater,dynomax and cherry bomb..but i'm not sure what the v10 will sound like as i know it has a tad different sound then a v8.

i bought this thing on march 24th, as of today i've logged a bit over 1k miles on her and i'll be damned if i havent got that **** eatting grin off my face yet!

only downside of the spring in alaska is you can not keep a truck clean..but heres some pictures out and about with the beast

me and my baby

Old 04-09-2009, 12:38 AM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Looks cold.

Team M.U.D.D. - Team of Motorists Utilizing Due Diligence has sound clips.

You can pull the cladding. It's red underneath and is just held on with double sided tape. It's a PITA to get the residue off but...

Old 04-09-2009, 12:43 AM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

naw, not cold anymore..just chilly..spring is here! we're into the 40s now during the day. but you can bet before next winter i'll have myself a remote start installed..i'm so used to having one getting into a cold truck really sucks.

i figured it was just held on with 2 sided tape but i wasnt sure..i've pulled the door molding off all our explorers so i know what a bitch it can be to get off...finger blisters be damned!

thanks for the link! i have some choices to make! i'd like to get alittle more pep out of her, i know its no speed demon but i think its got alittle more in her that intake/exhaust and a programmer might help get out.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:27 AM
Cardiac69
Elder User
Go over to the V-10 forum as there is a couple of threads going on about mufflers and exhaust systems..... A few guys said the Flowmasters kinda sound like a jet under acceleration.....

Old 04-09-2009, 03:45 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

good news! my mechanic just called back, the truck is in awsome shape no leaks and its very tight he said it must have been taken care of very well.

so that has set my mind at ease, the dealer just called after that telling me my registration and plates are in. when i pick those up i think are the perfect time to talk to them about the vent window. lol

Old 04-09-2009, 05:04 PM
da X-man
Elder User
Congrats on your truck!

Old 04-09-2009, 06:04 PM
cbradford
Fleet Owner

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Nice sweet ride and don't let the mod bug bite too hard

Old 04-09-2009, 06:52 PM
da X-man
Elder User
That mod bug has a nasty sting. Once you get bit, its a non-curable disease. But lets not think of it as a disease, but rather a super-power like spiderman. Once you get bit, you can do so many awesome things.

Old 04-21-2009, 01:38 AM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

oh i know all about the mod bug, my explorer is a good example of that haha

once i have some extra money i plan to throw some into the excursion

i took some pictures after washing it the other day.

my explorer and excursion together

Quick Reply: new '04 owner