1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Quick Question on Headlight Screws

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 01:20 PM
Lwlandy
Tuned
Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts
Quick Question on Headlight Screws

Can anyone please tell me what the screws are that hold the headlight retainer ring on the front of the Adjusting collar (3 Each side). I need some replacement screws but am not sure of the threads. I am assuming that they are American and as the collars are tapped I need to get the correct ones. US threads are not that easy to source over here in the UK so I want to make sure I order the correct ones.

Thanks
Lee

Old 04-07-2009, 02:25 PM
mazdab2600
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my 52's covered in snow.
so maybe someone else knows.
here's a copy from lmc trucks. just to clarify which screw is needed.

Old 04-07-2009, 02:29 PM
Abomination
Senior User
US threaded screws are easy to pocket for free out of your friendly, neighborhood Import junkyard! LOL! Try taking a look at the screws that hold rockers on (the stainless piece that you can see holding the carpet to the floor where the bottom of the door meets it).

~Jason

Old 04-07-2009, 02:36 PM
Lwlandy
Tuned
Thanks Jason,

But I think US car Junk yards are probably even harder to find than a harware supplier that has US threads here. Its probably something to do with us driving on the other side of the road..... You only tend to see a Left hooker as we call them over here once in a blue moon and then it is usually something special. As its only here because someone really wanted one and took the trouble to import it.

Cheers
Lee

Old 04-07-2009, 04:38 PM
Abomination
Senior User
If you find out what size they are, PM me. I'd be willing to pop 'em into an envelope and mail 'em to you (but you'd have to PayPal me for the stamps).

This is down the street from where I work: LMC Truck Parts: Chevy Chevrolet Blazer S10 GMC Jimmy S15 Ford Bronco Ranger Pickup Pick Up Accessories/Catalogs

I also live down the way from a Fastenal fastener warehouse and several hardware stores. The actual screws are probably like .05 cents each.

~Jason

Originally Posted by Lwlandy
Thanks Jason,

But I think US car Junk yards are probably even harder to find than a harware supplier that has US threads here. Its probably something to do with us driving on the other side of the road..... You only tend to see a Left hooker as we call them over here once in a blue moon and then it is usually something special. As its only here because someone really wanted one and took the trouble to import it.

Cheers
Lee

Old 04-07-2009, 04:59 PM
jaye
Posting Guru
I just went to HD and got SS sheet metal screws and they worked for me.

Old 04-07-2009, 05:26 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Just like Jaye said, I used stainless sheetmetal screws from the local hardware store. I think they were #10 X 1", not sure.

Old 04-07-2009, 05:33 PM
3golfjack
Laughing Gas

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Like Jaye said you should be able to get some from the local hardware. Pulled one out and they are 1/2 inch in length with a tapered rounded head. Looks like a stainless sheet metal screw.

Old 04-08-2009, 02:44 AM
Lwlandy
Tuned
Thanks all,

I think I have a lead on them. I think that the originals were 10-32 screws. I will see if i can find some over here and if not will go down the sheet metal screw route.

Cheers
Lee

Old 04-10-2009, 12:42 AM
alanco
Senior User
Originally Posted by Lwlandy
Thanks all,

I think I have a lead on them. I think that the originals were 10-32 screws. I will see if i can find some over here and if not will go down the sheet metal screw route.

Cheers
Lee
The originals were fillister head #8 and can still be bought. However, sheet metal screws work just fine.

Alan