1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

paint chipping from cold weather

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 11:29 AM
newblder
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
paint chipping from cold weather

I went to get the truck now that it's starting to warm up here and it's got cracks/chips in the paint that weren't there before. I was told that the extreme cold we get here in ND will do that if the wrong kind of paint is used. Has anyone else ever heard of this?

Old 04-07-2009, 12:04 PM
cmoritz
Posting Guru
Cracks in the 'original'paint? T

Old 04-07-2009, 12:20 PM
newblder
Senior User
No. It was repainted.

Old 04-07-2009, 12:20 PM
thepitshop
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
heard about this if too mutch hardener was used, or paint types were mixed (DIFFERENT BRAND HARDENER, REDUCER) NEVER HAD IT HAPPEN TO ME??

Old 04-07-2009, 01:06 PM
going slow
Senior User
Originally Posted by thepitshop
heard about this if too mutch hardener was used, or paint types were mixed (DIFFERENT BRAND HARDENER, REDUCER) NEVER HAD IT HAPPEN TO ME??

im with Thepitshop on this one...

Old 04-07-2009, 04:58 PM
economan
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wonder if it was painted in laquer?
i came into the trade 25 years ago just at the tail end of the GM laquer years. seen a lotta that back then.

i've seen paint crack up pretty bad if there is too much on as well. just last year as a matter of fact i worked on a black jimmy with factory black paint, back when we were sill a dealer we sold it to the original owner new, never been painted . it was all cracking on top surfaces, when we stripped it down we discovered it had been thru the factory paint line "7" times.

i get a kick out of these clowns at car shows who are bragging about how many coats of paint or clear they have on their vehicle....just the recipe for cracking & chipping.
2 to 3 coats of clear seems best for optimum durability.
Mikie
near ottawa canada
1958 merc 100 panel/64 econoline p/u

Old 04-07-2009, 06:00 PM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
I painted for 20 or more years,and gm had bad primer back then. A lot of their vehicles came back for new paint many times,and the primer used was the problem.
Yes many coats of lacquer can crack.....any paint with too many coats can cause cracking.
Cold and Hot can cause cracking...but most likely it was bad procedure,or cheap paint or primer.
I did murals in the 70s and 80s and laid them out over 20 coats of lacquer with little problems. OLD paint can crack also.
One thing about a bad paint job is........you can always fix it!!!!!
LOL............................................... ..........Bill

Old 04-07-2009, 08:21 PM
Last Chance 56
Elder User
Originally Posted by WALFORD'S 56
I painted for 20 or more years,and gm had bad primer back then. A lot of their vehicles came back for new paint many times,and the primer used was the problem.
Yes many coats of lacquer can crack.....any paint with too many coats can cause cracking.
Cold and Hot can cause cracking...but most likely it was bad procedure,or cheap paint or primer.
I did murals in the 70s and 80s and laid them out over 20 coats of lacquer with little problems. OLD paint can crack also.
One thing about a bad paint job is........you can always fix it!!!!!
LOL............................................... ..........Bill
Bill,

If you painted for over 20 years then what have done with the other 60 years? HeHe. Peace out man.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:48 AM
newblder
Senior User
Maybe I can talk my brother into painting it for me. Untill then I'll just have to try to contain the rust as best I can. Thanks.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:32 AM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
Rodney--I only feel that old....haha!!
Not many body men and painters live to be 100. I have been painting since 1974 and in the early 80s....was a refinishing machine.....haha

Some times guys mix too much hardener,or the primer was old,or the topcoat and the subcoats were not compatible,--there are alot of factors. Extreme temps do have a marginal impact on finishes,but the chemical companies spend millions on procedure and those guidlines followed,...the refinished vehicle generally comes out with a 20 year paint job....till the rust-demon finds it.....haha