5.0L Coyote 5.0l Ford OHC Coyote engine for 2011+

Fords new 5.0 coyoty!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 11:55 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah, that is what I am seeing for the biggest use of VVT, is idle quality with more aggressive cams and emissions. The VVT actuator in the dodge viper has something like 45* of rotation, but dodge only uses about 38* of it however.

I am kind of surprised that a hand held scanner would have the ability to adjust the cam phasing, or let alone the computer on the car had the ability for something to adjust timing manually on the fly.

Old 04-13-2009, 01:24 AM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,591 Likes on 1,296 Posts
Anyone who is screaming for a pushrod motor vs. an OHC for better performance knows little or nothing about engines.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:39 AM
fireball 440
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lead Head
I am kind of surprised that a hand held scanner would have the ability to adjust the cam phasing, or let alone the computer on the car had the ability for something to adjust timing manually on the fly.
Why couldn't you? You can change almost every part of a computer controlled car system with a NGS.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:34 AM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by fireball 440
Why couldn't you? You can change almost every part of a computer controlled car system with a NGS.
I'm saying, I can see reflashing the computer, and manually locking the cam phasing, but the ability to adjust on the fly without any aftermarket PCM programming just surprised me.

Also, anyone who thinks that over-head cams makes an engine magically more powerful then a pushrod engine knows little to nothing about engines.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:55 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
I'm saying, I can see reflashing the computer, and manually locking the cam phasing, but the ability to adjust on the fly without any aftermarket PCM programming just surprised me.

Also, anyone who thinks that over-head cams makes an engine magically more powerful then a pushrod engine knows little to nothing about engines.
Didn't say that. Plenty of sluggo OHC motors. With a clean sheet of paper and performance in mind, what would you build?

Old 04-13-2009, 05:13 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by 85e150six4mtod
Didn't say that. Plenty of sluggo OHC motors. With a clean sheet of paper and performance in mind, what would you build?
Depends. If physical engine size is an issue, then OHV for sure. Want to keep the over all valve train simpler, OHV as well. If i want leeway to bring the revs up, then OHC. If overall engine size and cost and complexity is not a problem, then sure lets stay high tech (sarcasm) and go OHC.

GM and Chrysler engineers sat down and with a clean sheet of paper and performance in mind, they decided on pushrod V8s.

Old 04-13-2009, 06:28 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Depends. If physical engine size is an issue, then OHV for sure. Want to keep the over all valve train simpler, OHV as well. If i want leeway to bring the revs up, then OHC. If overall engine size and cost and complexity is not a problem, then sure lets stay high tech (sarcasm) and go OHC.

GM and Chrysler engineers sat down and with a clean sheet of paper and performance in mind, they decided on pushrod V8s.
Excellent point. Those engines certainly make "enough" power for the application.

Old 08-25-2010, 03:39 PM
Rudeman
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
From what I've read, variable valve timing is more or less for emissions, idle quality and retaining some low end torque. Variable timing on the exhaust side can help you maintain better idle quality on bigger cams, as well as provide an EGR-like effect. Variable timing on the intake side can help with low end torque.

Now if it was like honda'a V-TEC that actually has two profiles on the camshaft, you could do some interesting things. One profile that favors low end torque, for launches and powering out of corners without downshifting, and another profile that likes high-end power for when you get the revs up on the straight away
The Ford Ti-VCT is more infinitely variable than Honda V-TEC.

SOHC and DOHC will allow higher RPM with better valve control. No more bent pushrods and less likely to float valves.

Old 08-25-2010, 03:49 PM
Rudeman
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are fewer moving parts in the valvetrain of an overhead cam engine than an overhead valve engine. A 4V OHV motor needs a pushrod and lifter for every valve; two additional parts for each valve. And those pushrod/lifter combos need to change direction twice every camshaft rotation. That is a lot of inertia.

Not sure GM and Mopar started wtih a clean sheet of paper for their motors. It looks like a lot of cost cutting by limitling retooling costs.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:24 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Rudeman
The Ford Ti-VCT is more infinitely variable than Honda V-TEC.

SOHC and DOHC will allow higher RPM with better valve control. No more bent pushrods and less likely to float valves.
Ford Ti-VCT is not more variable then V-TEC. V-TEC not only has variable cam phasers, but two completely different camshaft profiles. Ti-VCT only has cam phasers. Yes OHC allows for better high RPM control, but realistically the target audience of these V8 engines don't want to rev much over 7000 RPM, which pushrods are plenty good for.
Originally Posted by Rudeman
There are fewer moving parts in the valvetrain of an overhead cam engine than an overhead valve engine. A 4V OHV motor needs a pushrod and lifter for every valve; two additional parts for each valve.
It is possible to have 4 valves and only two pushrods. Almost all the 4 valve diesels (besides the 6.7 PSD) use two pushrods per cylinder, with a "bridge" between the two valves.

But that's a moot point anyways, since GM and Chrysler are both making tons of power N/A with their 2 valve heads.
Not sure GM and Mopar started wtih a clean sheet of paper for their motors. It looks like a lot of cost cutting by limitling retooling costs.
The only thing that interchanges between a Gen 1/Gen 2 SBC and the Gen 3 (LS series) engines is the connecting rod bearing inserts. Nothing else.

Likewise for the Hemi, it shares nothing in common with the 318/360 LA series engines.