Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > Expedition & Navigator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-07-2009, 02:37 AM
Freshman User

pitmanr2003 is starting off with a positive reputation.
how to remove 3rd row Speaker

I have a 97 eb that has a blown speaker in the rear where the 3rd row seat is. i tried popping pannel off with no luck. How do you remove it so that i can unplug it till i get new speaker and what size speaker is it and are there any suggestions on what to replace it with.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:56 AM
Elder User

c_hohensee is starting off with a positive reputation.
If this speaker is in the side wall, this is the sub-woofer speaker. The only way to unplug this is to unplug the amp. This means removing the trim panel to get to it. The enclosure will need to be removed to replace the speaker as there is a bolt on the back of the enclosure holding the speaker in. For replacement I believe there are several companies making a replacement speaker, check e-bay.

98 XLT 4X4 5.4 W/aftercooled Vortech S/C, custom tuned w/lightning maf and 42# injectors, Flexlite electric fan, Lightning Head and Marker lights and LED tails, Bilsteins, S/S headers and Magnaflow catback, Pioneer nav system and Airlift rear bags w/compressor
Old 04-07-2009, 02:11 PM
Freshman User

is that the whole trim pannel around the back area where cargo net hooks on. do you just pop it off or are there screws. are there any visual right ups on this?
Old 04-08-2009, 04:14 AM
Elder User

c_hohensee is starting off with a positive reputation.
I am not aware of any write-ups. Yes it is the trim panel that runs from the end gate to the back door. It is not that bad I have had mine out a few times as I replaced my sub with a whole new after-market enclosure with new amp. The biggest pain is taking the seat belt anchors loose so you can get the panels off, both the top and bottom on the mid row seat(the top one uses a hex nut and the bottom uses a torx) and the third row uses a torx for the top and there is a small hole you push a screw driver or something into to release the bottom anchor. After taking the seat belts loose you pull the trim off from in front and back of the back side window (it just pops off). Unscrew the roundish part that the cargo net attaches too. Pull the threshold strip up below the end gate as well as the panel above the back window, there may be some screws that are hidden by the afore mentioned trim panels if so you need to remove them. About mid point under the back side window you will find a ear of the panel under the carpet that you will need to remove the push pin from. The trim panel them pulls up and away from the side wall.

98 XLT 4X4 5.4 W/aftercooled Vortech S/C, custom tuned w/lightning maf and 42# injectors, Flexlite electric fan, Lightning Head and Marker lights and LED tails, Bilsteins, S/S headers and Magnaflow catback, Pioneer nav system and Airlift rear bags w/compressor
Old 04-08-2009, 07:13 AM
Senior User

Freak4Ford is starting off with a positive reputation.
On the 98 I used to own, I believe the subwoofer is a 8" speaker.
MagnaFlow S/S Resonator
22" wheels
305/40 tires

Old 04-08-2009, 01:54 PM
Freshman User

sounds like alot of work. may have to do it on the weekend. i found a write up by mtx and that sounded about like what you said. I figured there was an easier way but i guess not. I have to take 3rd row seat out as well.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:46 AM
Senior User

johnpvb is starting off with a positive reputation.
Check out this thread from a couple years ago so see if there's any helpful info. I ended up replacing mine with an MTX speaker when the dealer couldn't find an OEM replacement.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/38...ment-help.html

1997 Exp EB 4x4 LLS 5.4L (original owner!)
[Stock all the way except for a K&N filter]
Old 04-10-2009, 03:01 PM
Junior User

freeman666 is starting off with a positive reputation.
If it's the sub try this for instructions to remove panels.

http://www.mtx.com/caraudio/products...orms/FEN10.pdf
Old 04-14-2009, 01:31 PM
Elder User

Greenscobie86 is starting off with a positive reputation.
LOL... Hey I started that thread! Never though someone would like to my creation haha...

1998 4x4/5.4 Pacific Green Metallic Expy EB
65K miles & counting
BBK Underdrive Pulleys, PaceSetter Shorty Headers, Walker OEM Exhaust, Bilstein HD's, Goodridge SS Front Brake Lines.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:31 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > Expedition & Navigator

Tags
1998, 2005, 3rd, back, excursion, expedition, ford, freestyle, instruction, remove, row, speaker, speakers, wires, working