Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-06-2009, 06:28 PM
New User

flytwins is starting off with a positive reputation.
Fuel Pump voltage

I am helping my neighbor get his 1989 f150 v8 running. It is getting spark, but no fuel pressure. The high pressure pump mounted inside the driver's frame rail was bad, (verified off the truck), I replaced it, but it is only getting 3.6 volts on the connector, and it needs 12 volts. Is there a fuel pump relay that would limit the voltage if bad? If so, how do I find it? If not, what else would reduce the voltage to the pump?
The truck has dual fuel tanks with a switch on the dash. The low pressure in-tank pumps are not pumping from the tanks to the high pressure pump either, perhaps due to low voltage.
Thanks
Old 04-06-2009, 06:57 PM
Post Fiend

subford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by flytwins View Post
I am helping my neighbor get his 1989 f150 v8 running. It is getting spark, but no fuel pressure. The high pressure pump mounted inside the driver's frame rail was bad, (verified off the truck), I replaced it, but it is only getting 3.6 volts on the connector, and it needs 12 volts. Is there a fuel pump relay that would limit the voltage if bad?
NO there is not.
The voltage you are looking at is zero not 3.6 Volts. You should not be using a volt meter in the fuel circuits. Use a test light and you will find it to be zero volts.
Quote:
If not, what else would reduce the voltage to the pump?
The Fuel pump relay is open and you are reading leakage from pin #8 of the EEC Computer.
Quote:
The truck has dual fuel tanks with a switch on the dash. The low pressure in-tank pumps are not pumping from the tanks to the high pressure pump either, perhaps due to low voltage.
Thanks
Check your Inertia Switch to see if it is open. If OK ground pin#6 of the self-test connector and turn on the key and see if the fuel pumps run.
77 F250 351M-2V NP 435/4 Speed 4X4
subford@gmail.com
Bill K, Kansas Chapter
Old 04-06-2009, 08:51 PM
New User

Bill, thank you. I have GM vehicles so my experience with Fords is minimal. I will check the inertia switch tomorrow. I understand it is on the inside firewall left of the brake pedal. Where is the self test connector located? If the fuel pumps run with the #6 pin grounded, what will that tell me?
Old 04-06-2009, 09:04 PM
Post Fiend

subford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud of
Quote:
Bill, thank you. I have GM vehicles so my experience with Fords is minimal. I will check the inertia switch tomorrow. I understand it is on the inside firewall left of the brake pedal. Where is the self test connector located?
The self-test connector is named EEC Test in the photo below, it is under the cover. And is located on the drivers inter fender under the hood.
It is also called the Data Link Conn. or DLC in the second diagram.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g9...ays/89f150.jpg
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g9...taLinkConn.jpg

Good Luck.
subford@gmail.com
Bill K, Kansas Chapter
Old 04-06-2009, 09:18 PM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by subford View Post
The self-test connector is named EEC Test in the photo below, it is under the cover. And is located on the drivers inter fender under the hood.

It is also called the Data Link Conn. or DLC in the second diagram.
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g9...ays/89f150.jpg
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g9...taLinkConn.jpg

Good Luck.
Thanks Bill. I believe I saw the EEC Test under the hood the other day on a strip with other connectors. If the pumps run with the #6 pin grounded, what does this mean?
Fred
Old 04-07-2009, 07:58 AM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Thanks Bill. I believe I saw the EEC Test under the hood the other day on a strip with other connectors. If the pumps run with the #6 pin grounded, what does this mean?
Fred
It means that the:

1. You are getting Power from the EEC Power Relay to the Fuel Pump Relay Coil.
2. You are getting Power from the Fuse Link at the Starter Solenoid to the Fuel Pump contacts common pin.
3. You are getting Power from the Ignition Switch to the EEC Power relay Coil.
4. Fuel pump & EEC Power relays are OK.
5. Inertia Switch is OK.
6. Fuel Pump Selector Switch is OK.
7. Selected Fuel Pumps are OK.
8. The Wiring & Plugs are OK from the fuel pump relay to the pumps.
9. The Ground for the Pumps is OK.
10. You are getting Power from the Ignition Switch to the EEC Power relay Coil.

And you have just bypassed the EEC Computer so now you may need to look at the EEC Computer, its plug or the small black wire with a green stripe at the NEG (-) Post of the Battery and make sure it has a good ground (connection).
subford@gmail.com
Bill K, Kansas Chapter
Old 04-07-2009, 08:52 AM
New User

Bill, thank you very much. I'm new to this forum, but belong to a Porsche forum and have received, as well as given, help often on that forum. Porsche is a very different animal and these forums are a blessing. You have taught me a lot about Ford's fuel systems in these few postings and I really appreciate you taking your time to help a Ford newbie!
Fred
Old 04-07-2009, 09:30 AM
Post Fiend

Your welcome and here is a wiring diagram of the 1989 F-series Fuel System:
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g9...989FSeries.jpg

And a diagram of the fuel lines:
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g9...FuelSystem.jpg

/
subford@gmail.com
Bill K, Kansas Chapter
Old 04-07-2009, 09:30 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
1989, 1996, 460, 89, bad, check, f150, f250, ford, fseries, fuel, high, pressure, pump, running, voltage