1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

finishing bed wood 'on all sides'?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 07:36 PM
woodyf1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
put a small screw into the centre of each end and hang with bail wire roll them with a roller then l would use epoxy two part resin clear coat coat after coat have fun
i used liquid granite expensive but good

Old 04-06-2009, 07:42 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Originally Posted by spurredon
I would tend to agree with bobj49f2, but I live on a rough back road and the farmers on both sides of us use our road to access thier fields. I'm sure most of you know what farmers haul behind them into the fields! Going for a good solid coating of protection, that is cleanable, is my goal. I sure do enjoy walking around the shows and seeing the trucks that you could eat off the bottoms of as well as the tops!
Oh come on, that's just an extra coating. I also live in a rural area but it's getting developed. We're about the only real farm left for about five mile area. Until a few years ago the farmer across the road, now retired, used a spreader with a bad end gate and liked to put down a good layer of "fertilizer" down the road. I'm sure I had some of it under the F-2.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:42 PM
cmoritz
Posting Guru
Sam, just curious...what finish did you choose...and how much (quantity,2-3 qts.?)

I know your the kinda guy who will fiqure out the square ft.,then read the coverage label on the can...might save me some "time"! .. thank's in advance! LoL!
I'm still along way from this chore, but it is on the list of things to do this summer.

I need to keep my eye's open for the right stuff,and grab it when I can,wouldn't want to run out of material. Keep at it , your trucks coming together nicely!

Old 04-06-2009, 08:35 PM
edzakory
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like clean undies!

Old 04-06-2009, 08:59 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Seriously, if you care about the top surface, you need to do the bottoms and sides. The u-joints and pinion are bound to sling grease and oil up onto the boards, including the exposed sides, and it can wick under the top surface coating. Of course, that assumes you drive the truck.

Edz, are your shocks really laid out as flat as they appear? It looks like the driver's side would hit the exhaust.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:05 PM
edzakory
Elder User
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Edz, are your shocks really laid out as flat as they appear? It looks like the driver's side would hit the exhaust.
I used a 17mm wide angle lens so there is some distortion in the picture. No problems with the shocks hitting the exhaust.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:47 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by edzakory
I like clean undies!
VERY Nice!!..

Sam

Old 04-06-2009, 09:57 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by cmoritz
Sam, just curious...what finish did you choose...and how much (quantity,2-3 qts.?)

I know your the kinda guy who will fiqure out the square ft.,then read the coverage label on the can...might save me some "time"! .. thank's in advance! LoL!
I'm still along way from this chore, but it is on the list of things to do this summer.

I need to keep my eye's open for the right stuff,and grab it when I can,wouldn't want to run out of material. Keep at it , your trucks coming together nicely!
I did a Cabot Colonial Maple stain, followed by Gloss Spar Urethane. The natural Red oak was just too pale next to the green.. so a little Maple stain (2 coats) gives me the color I was looking for.

A quart says 100-150sq ft. the bed is 4x7 or 28sqft, times 4. = 112.. so 1 quart should get both sides 2 coats.. plus 1 more.. top 3 bottom 2. altho it appears I'm not getting as much absorption as I expected..
I am 2 coats top, with 1/3 used. (probably the 2 coats stain).

top will dry for the next 3 days while I'm gone to my Mom's 95th Bd party.
and we'll see how it looks then..
I picked up 2 quarts of Urethane, 1 quart of stain.

Sam

Old 04-06-2009, 10:04 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
I always cover all sides, but whether it matters depends a great deal on what kind of grain the wood has, and the climate where you live. Red oak for example, will wick up stain, (or water) through the ends of the boards like a straw. I also do a little woodworkng, and wood seems to stay more dimensionally stable through the seasons if sealed on all sides. At least in the humid midwest it seems to matter.

Old 04-08-2009, 02:36 PM
learpilot
Senior User
I did mine by coating the ends sides and the bottom of each board the turning them right side up and place them on a board which had 4 8d nails driven thru it from the bottom so that the bed board was supported by 4 nails points only until it dries. Each recoat the board was move slightly so those nails points were in diferent places( it would be hard to get htem back in the same place anyway) worked like a charm.

Old 04-08-2009, 04:35 PM
flatheadjohn
Senior User
Originally Posted by edzakory
I like clean undies!

Showoff!

Old 04-08-2009, 04:59 PM
53rat
Senior User
I'm suprised more poeple don't make their own boards. It can't be that hard. Although I haven't seen them befor it was installed. Do they have to have mulitple grooves and recesses?

Old 04-08-2009, 10:42 PM
53pickemuptruck
Senior User
I used wooden saw horses on mine. I took the heads off of some rivets and drove them into the saw horse top making little spikes to set each board on. Sets em up high enough to do top and edges,let it dry turn em over and do the other sides. Be careful you dont scatch em when you take em off, lift straight up with em. You only have a few point marks to touch up if your careful. Start on the bottoms of the boards first then flip over for the tops is the better process.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:07 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by 53rat
I'm suprised more poeple don't make their own boards. It can't be that hard. Although I haven't seen them befor it was installed. Do they have to have mulitple grooves and recesses?
They have routed edges on the sides & bottom. The outside boards edge cut is smaller than the inside edge
Sam

Old 04-09-2009, 08:34 AM
Okiedokie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I did mine like edzackory, slow process but they turned out nice top and bottom. If I were to do another truck, no wood for me. Metal floor with bedliner would be on my agenda. In fact I recently saw an effie with a treadplate [no I don't know if it was aluminum] floor with bedliner on it and the sides. Very attractive to me. Joe

Quick Reply: finishing bed wood 'on all sides'?