6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

is it possible no start if one injector fails?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 01:15 PM
szpieleusa
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question is it possible no start if one injector fails?

My computer shows problems with cylinder 2 injection. And my truck wont start.
Richard

Old 04-05-2009, 06:46 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I was told by my 6.4 mechanic that the motor will run on 7 cylinders if necessary. He said that it's smart enough to make full power under 7 cylinders in case one fails so it won't leave you stranded and you can still tow.

I obviously don't know if it's true or not. Just what I have been told.

Old 04-06-2009, 03:58 AM
szpieleusa
Freshman User
Hi! Thanks for input Ruschejj, so i think that i have more injectors failed than one, than its possible that truck wont start...

Old 04-06-2009, 10:57 AM
BowTieHatr
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
it is possible for the truck to still run under descent power if one injector fails. however, depending on HOW it fails is the difference between a no start and running condition.

Old 04-06-2009, 01:04 PM
szpieleusa
Freshman User
The engine shut down was when i was goin 60 mph... but as i told in another post the problem was alot of water and mud got in my tank and all of this got into second fuel filter, and as i suggest, to high pressure fuel pump and injectors too...
No start from then just tried to get codes on pc and it showed cylinder 2 injector code. Im just not sure is it failure of pump, injectors or both?
Today i found good resource on motorcraft site, it costs a little money but it helped me alot, so now i know how to check the pump and injectors and everything else and how to get to the engine

Old 04-06-2009, 02:08 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,414 Likes on 1,009 Posts
keep us up to date on what you do and procedures, hope this turns out ok for you .

Old 04-06-2009, 06:33 PM
caprang
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 6.0 lost 5 injectors, not at the same time but 1 at a time. Each time I was driving down the road, it started to run rough and within a mile the engine was dead and never would start again. I read a lot of posts that said I should be able to run on 7 cylinders but all 5 times I had to wait on a tow truck. 3 of those times I had to wait on 2 tow trucks, 1 for my truck and 1 for my trailer. I dont know if the 6.4 will run on 7 or not but I kind of doubt it based on my 6.0 experiences.

Old 04-06-2009, 06:53 PM
Larry NCKS
Elder User
Originally Posted by szpieleusa
as i told in another post the problem was alot of water and mud got in my tank and all of this got into second fuel filter,
So . . .how did water and mud get in your tank? Inquiring minds want to know.

Old 04-07-2009, 02:00 PM
szpieleusa
Freshman User
Today we started to tear apart my 6.4
Opened right valvecover, got out all 4 injectors, when we took them out, the water got out from them and a little dirt...
Today we checked the fuel pressure of fuel pump which is mounted on frame under driver, it turned out that its only 0,5 psi.. Which means my pump is dead and gone...
It took about 2 hours for me and my friend to get to valve cover.
The baddest thing is in my country i dont have such technics to check the injectors eletronically and i cannot find in my resources on net what can be resistance of injector. One guy told me he can just mechanically test the injector for leaks.
Guys maybe someone knows what must be the resistance (Ohms) of injector to know is it alive or dead?
Tomorrow we will took off other stuff over the left valve and take out other 4 injectors and then we will take out high pressure fuel pump to check it...
Richard,
Europe

Old 04-07-2009, 10:43 PM
bczolone
Elder User
Originally Posted by caprang
My 6.0 lost 5 injectors, not at the same time but 1 at a time. Each time I was driving down the road, it started to run rough and within a mile the engine was dead and never would start again. I read a lot of posts that said I should be able to run on 7 cylinders but all 5 times I had to wait on a tow truck. 3 of those times I had to wait on 2 tow trucks, 1 for my truck and 1 for my trailer. I dont know if the 6.4 will run on 7 or not but I kind of doubt it based on my 6.0 experiences.

Hey your 6.0L sounds like mine ...had that happen, but got mine started again, albeit with a lot of resistance...so what's your take or advice on a replacement for my 6.0?

New 6.4L or Duramax?

Won't be until the end of this summer so I still have to keep researching.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:26 AM
Larry NCKS
Elder User
Now who do you think on this board wouldn't pick the 6.4?

Old 04-08-2009, 07:49 AM
caprang
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by bczolone

...so what's your take or advice on a replacement for my 6.0?

New 6.4L or Duramax?
Well I think my answer is obvious based on my signature. But I will elaborate why. The Dirtymax is a good engine. They are really fast, dependable, and respond well to mods. You can say the same about the 6.4 except its not as fast. I challenge you to go look at a new Chevy. Smack the bed side and it sounds like a tin can. My neighbor complains that every time he hits a bump the truck tries to change lanes. Try the same test on a Ford. Its heavier and more solid. When I have the family in the truck or I am hauling 10k or more I know which truck will give me more confidence. Check out the tow ratings between the 2.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:07 PM
szpieleusa
Freshman User
Ok guys im tryin to keep You informed about my situation.
Today we got the second valve cover off and other 4 injectors.
We unscrewed every of them to parts. Everything is very dirty and in water. We cleaned everything carefully, and the bottom parts, which are sprayin diesel in heads, we cleared with ultrasound device, and theyre extra clean. Tomorrow we will check them elctronically, if they are ok then we will place everything back and try to start the engine.
If it will not start then we will be 100% sure that high pressure fuel pump is dead.
Richard, Europe

Old 04-08-2009, 12:12 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,414 Likes on 1,009 Posts
So there is dirt and water in the injectors and on the heads? How could all of this gotten in there.

Thanks for the update.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:40 PM
caprang
Posting Guru
Im also really curious how all the water and mud got in to the injectors. How did it get past both filters? If there was that much dirt and water then chances are the HPFP is toast.

You sound mechanically inclined/informed but just in case you dont already know, you cant re-use the fuel lines, they are single use. Just FYI to save you the trouble of tearing it all apart again because they WILL leak.

Quick Reply: is it possible no start if one injector fails?