Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > EcoBoost (3.5L, 2.0L)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

EcoBoost (3.5L, 2.0L) 3.5L Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6 and 2.0L I4 EcoBoost Engines

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-03-2009, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator

powerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputation
3.5 EcoBoost

Just ran across this. We've all debated about this engine and now it looks promising from an MPG standpoint. This is in the Lincoln MKS but I wonder how it will do in the trucks. I guess time will tell.

Ford details how EcoBoost will be more powerful, eco-friendly than competition
2011 F-350 4x4 Lariat Ultimate, Oxford White / Pale Adobe 6.7L PSD 3.55 ELD / Gone but not forgotten.
Moderators, Guidelines, and How They are Enforced / FTE Forum Guidelines

RIP Steve (Bricks) Price........Godspeed my good friend. RIP Paul / Hdslider.....you are truly missed.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:21 PM
Postmaster

YoGeorge is a splendid one to beholdYoGeorge is a splendid one to beholdYoGeorge is a splendid one to beholdYoGeorge is a splendid one to beholdYoGeorge is a splendid one to beholdYoGeorge is a splendid one to beholdYoGeorge is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstroke72 View Post
Just ran across this. We've all debated about this engine and now it looks promising from an MPG standpoint. This is in the Lincoln MKS but I wonder how it will do in the trucks. I guess time will tell.

Ford details how EcoBoost will be more powerful, eco-friendly than competition
It'll take a lot of time to tell how they *really* do, like when we have 15 year old EcoBoost trucks being run on the cheapest gas possible, overloaded, low on oil, etc, by lawn crews.

I just don't think there will be a long-term payoff in total cost of ownership on the EcoBoost once the cost of repairs is figured in. I don't see these as 200k-300k mile engines, which I consider the modular motors to be without much trouble at all.

George
Old 04-03-2009, 05:32 PM
Elder User

excaliber551 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoGeorge View Post
It'll take a lot of time to tell how they *really* do, like when we have 15 year old EcoBoost trucks being run on the cheapest gas possible, overloaded, low on oil, etc, by lawn crews.

I just don't think there will be a long-term payoff in total cost of ownership on the EcoBoost once the cost of repairs is figured in. I don't see these as 200k-300k mile engines, which I consider the modular motors to be without much trouble at all.

George
I don't see any of Fords engine being 200 or 300 K engines other than a diesel.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:50 PM
Post Fiend

Ryan50hrl is a splendid one to beholdRyan50hrl is a splendid one to beholdRyan50hrl is a splendid one to beholdRyan50hrl is a splendid one to beholdRyan50hrl is a splendid one to beholdRyan50hrl is a splendid one to behold
the 5.4 is easily a 200K+ motor....

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/97...round-7-a.html
Old 04-03-2009, 08:18 PM
Postmaster

YoGeorge is a splendid one to beholdYoGeorge is a splendid one to beholdYoGeorge is a splendid one to beholdYoGeorge is a splendid one to beholdYoGeorge is a splendid one to beholdYoGeorge is a splendid one to beholdYoGeorge is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by excaliber551 View Post
I have a buddy with a limo company running stretched and regular Town Cars up well over that regularly. Look at all the cop cars in the world, recycled into taxicabs after their police duty.

There are certainly a small number of any engine that die prematurely, but I'd say the mod motors in general are as long-lived as most anything out there.

George
Old 04-03-2009, 09:51 PM
Elder User

cpdorroh is starting off with a positive reputation.
25mpg in a MKS. I am actually a little disappointed by that. Because, if it gets 25 in a car, I would think you will be lucky to get 21-22 in a F-150. The 4.6 3v can do that. Hopefully it will do better than I am thinking. Maybe there will be a significant difference in city fuel mileage.

Previous Ford trucks:
2004 F-250 Super Duty, King Ranch, 6.0 PSD, 4x4, 3.73LS
2001 F-150 Super Cab, XLT, 5.4L, 4x4, 3.55LS
Old 04-03-2009, 10:23 PM
Postmaster

fordtruckman is a splendid one to beholdfordtruckman is a splendid one to beholdfordtruckman is a splendid one to beholdfordtruckman is a splendid one to beholdfordtruckman is a splendid one to beholdfordtruckman is a splendid one to behold
So this engine will require premium correct? And if it does then I just can't see why anyone would choose this engine over the 4.6l 3v that runs on regular.

[URL=http://www.fuelly.com/driver/MatthewSimmons08/f150]
Old 04-03-2009, 11:22 PM
Post Fiend

Ryan50hrl is a splendid one to beholdRyan50hrl is a splendid one to beholdRyan50hrl is a splendid one to beholdRyan50hrl is a splendid one to beholdRyan50hrl is a splendid one to beholdRyan50hrl is a splendid one to behold
Nope...regular unleaded.....and i'd be happy with 22 in a 4wd F-150.....

Old 04-03-2009, 11:39 PM
Postmaster

fordtruckman is a splendid one to beholdfordtruckman is a splendid one to beholdfordtruckman is a splendid one to beholdfordtruckman is a splendid one to beholdfordtruckman is a splendid one to beholdfordtruckman is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan50hrl View Post
Nope...regular unleaded.....and i'd be happy with 22 in a 4wd F-150.....
Really!? That surprises me, you'd think it would need premium since it runs a little cooler and these engines I imagine create a lot of heat. Well thats good then! Maybe this engine will be a hit after all.

[URL=http://www.fuelly.com/driver/MatthewSimmons08/f150]
Old 04-03-2009, 11:54 PM
Post Fiend

I think that was a main design feature of them....that they ran on regular...

Old 04-04-2009, 02:13 AM
MMNC (SS)

Tylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputation
still...it's a small motor running a decent amount of boost in a 5,000 to 6,000 lb truck...and it will be severely taxed with towing/hauling

I cannot see the ecoboost being a good option for the F-150. I can foresee it being an option for 1-2 yrs, then getting dumped once the reliability issues come to light as it is used as a TRUCK ENGINE...and not a MPG gimmick
Old 04-04-2009, 09:02 AM
Elder User

Power Kid is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpdorroh View Post
25mpg in a MKS. I am actually a little disappointed by that. Because, if it gets 25 in a car, I would think you will be lucky to get 21-22 in a F-150. The 4.6 3v can do that. Hopefully it will do better than I am thinking. Maybe there will be a significant difference in city fuel mileage.

Thing is the EB won't feel underpowered compared to the the 4.6L. so not a fair comparison.
Old 04-04-2009, 02:46 PM
Senior User

Scorpion67 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylus View Post
still...it's a small motor running a decent amount of boost in a 5,000 to 6,000 lb truck...and it will be severely taxed with towing/hauling

I cannot see the ecoboost being a good option for the F-150. I can foresee it being an option for 1-2 yrs, then getting dumped once the reliability issues come to light as it is used as a TRUCK ENGINE...and not a MPG gimmick
Cylinder displacement has nothing to do with structural integrity of the engine and its components. If it's an 8L made of aluminum, it's not going to be as tough as a 500cc engine made of titanium.
Old 04-04-2009, 03:49 PM

tseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by excaliber551 View Post
OK, Which engines on the road do you consider 200-300K engines? If you don't think a Ford gasser will make that lofty goal, then why are shopping for a Ford truck?

Not crackin' yer onions, just curious.

Talking about MPG's, the Ford website says the Flex with the 3.5L EB is rated at 22mpg's HWY. Lots of power, not great mileage.

Tim
2010 Ford Focus
2004 Expedition XLT 4x2

FTE Guidelines
Old 04-04-2009, 05:01 PM
Senior User

Scorpion67 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tseekins View Post
OK, Which engines on the road do you consider 200-300K engines? If you don't think a Ford gasser will make that lofty goal, then why are shopping for a Ford truck?

Not crackin' yer onions, just curious.

Talking about MPG's, the Ford website says the Flex with the 3.5L EB is rated at 22mpg's HWY. Lots of power, not great mileage.

Tim
It's exactly the same as a Flex AWD with 3.5 with no EcoBoost. Constant AWD sucks up a bit of that juice, just look at the Durango, that you can't switch to 2wd. It's worse than the larger Expedition.
Old 04-04-2009, 05:01 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > EcoBoost (3.5L, 2.0L)

Tags
24v, 35, 35l, boost, cost, eco, ecoboost, expedition, ford, forum, gimmick, hp, truck, trucks, v6