1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

punkshuation

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 06:26 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by Cooter55
Ross, I know how you feel. Do you ever find yourself just BYHATW?
Yup! .

Old 02-05-2011, 06:26 PM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Received 288 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by havi
So Steve, are you suggesting I ignore everyone's comments as I walk nekkid with only a boa down mainstreet?
Photos, please. NOT! Actually,out here,many people wouldn't even bat an eye.In a certain city about 80 miles from me,which shall remain nameless (San Francisco),they'd welcome you with open arms.(Insert acronym for laughing out loud here).

Steve,

The well-meaning, but oft-misunderstood curmudgeon

Old 02-05-2011, 06:39 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
I don't know, there's been a lot of talk from members about wearing nothing but a boa or a Barak type speedos, very scary. I think the winter is starting to drag on too long. We all need to get out and work on our trucks.

Old 02-05-2011, 07:27 PM
edzakory
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I tried wearing a boa; it was too restrictive.
Butt, a speedo; those I kind of lycra.
Oh, and my wife insists I wear English Leather, or nothing at all. So, I’m sitting here nekkid!

Old 02-05-2011, 08:04 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,838 Likes on 1,837 Posts
Originally Posted by needhelp49
well i guess I'm outta here again its funny when some dumb *** comes on here and asks a stupid ? that a 5 year old should know you all give them hugs but a guy has no ****ing clue were to put comas and ya treat him or her like ****
i run a vary successful busness and for some reson i just dont get it never have never will
so to you grammer kings go **** yourselfs i see alot of things go un answerd becuse i dont wanna open myself up to your **** bye *******s

Whoa! that's a little over the top.

I think the intent of this thread is to state that if we can't understand what you are asking then we can't help. I know that when I open a thread and I can't read it I'll skip over it and move on to something else. No jumping down anyone's throat, no treating any one like ****, just simple quiet ignore.

Spelling and grammar don't have to be perfect, but readable enough to get the message across would sure help.

Bobby

Old 02-05-2011, 08:26 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

Received 610 Likes on 547 Posts
Originally Posted by edzakory
I tried wearing a boa; it was too restrictive.
Butt, a speedo; those I kind of lycra.
Oh, and my wife insists I wear English Leather, or nothing at all. So, I’m sitting here nekkid!

I hope your chair is washable!

Old 02-06-2011, 12:00 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
Ross has a good point. I don't think it's picky or wrong at all to ask somebody to throw a period, space, or even a capital letter here and there so that we can understand what you're saying. It is VERY hard to read some of these posts.

Old 02-06-2011, 03:29 AM
iwanaflattie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 30 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by bobj49f2
I don't know, there's been a lot of talk from members about wearing nothing but a boa or a Barak type speedos, very scary. I think the winter is starting to drag on too long. We all need to get out and work on our trucks.
that was me.the thread was about a speedometer.i used speedo instead of speedometer.someone said he would never wear a speedo. I said i would never wear a Borat speedo to work again.it was a joke.i thought it was funny.i think its funny.if you are very conservative dont watch borat.borat is a movie.

Old 02-06-2011, 06:38 AM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 262 Likes on 216 Posts
Originally Posted by Mountaindoc
Ross has a good point. I don't think it's picky or wrong at all to ask somebody to throw a period, space, or even a capital letter here and there so that we can understand what you're saying. It is VERY hard to read some of these posts.
Ditto. Especially when the question being asked requires a technical answer. It's hard enough sometimes to give factual answers in a concise way without having to first guess at the question. Stu

Old 02-06-2011, 09:33 AM
tardster
Elder User
Seriously guys? This is a new age and as time goes by things change. I'm 40 so I understand what you are saying, but if you are going to stop reading a post because of the way its written then by all means stop reading it. From reading this post, it just sounds like more of a, I'm better than you because I can spell and use punctuation. Most of us on here can understand what a person is trying to say or ask no matter how bad its written, so what is so hard about answering it or moving on to a differant post? Posts like this is what gives alot of forums a negative reputation. There is no differance between someone who doesn't spell correctly or use punctuation than someone who comes on here and asks a question thats been asked 500 times, but we don't get snippy or rude. Normally we answer to an extent and post a few links to other posts, which is what makes this forum better than the rest...

Old 02-06-2011, 09:50 AM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
no not seriously

Old 02-06-2011, 10:28 AM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Received 288 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by tardster
From reading this post, it just sounds like more of a, I'm better than you because I can spell and use punctuation
Eddie,it really isn't about anyone feeling superior, it's about effective communication,and making yourself easily understood.Unlike younger folks, whom I swear came out of the womb grasping MP3's, game controllers, and Droid phones, I never touched a computer till in my 40's.Yet I can manage to put together a few coherent sentences, and manage to find the shift, comma, and period buttons on my ancient computer, while being nothing more than a humble,uneducated construction worker .I feel it's more of a refusal to take the time, not a lack of ability.They mostly just refuse.

If you've got a nasty case of halitosis, the first time or two we talk, I'll be polite (while keeping a sizeable safe-zone between us).But soon, before I start avoiding you all together, I'll likely tell you what the problem is, and at some point will probably hand you a toothbrush,some Crest and a bottle of Listerene.I'm under no obligation to subject myself to your fragrance.

In the same way, while I am fully aware of the current text-messaging style of typing, the burden is not on me to lower the bar of communication, it's on those lazy-f***s to jump a little higher, to at least as far as the already-lowered standards of the day.It is in no way rude to expect people to be clear and concise when communicating.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:47 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,449 Likes on 1,396 Posts
I agree this is not a big me-little you thing. (I think we got rid of the big-headded people from here) This is about explaning the importance of making an effort to be understood. As noted, we can help people a lot easier when they help us to know how. There's nothing worse than trying to decipher i need help with that thing that runs around the front of my truck i dont no what it called but i no u do 2 can u tell me wat fix i can do

Old 02-06-2011, 11:33 AM
tardster
Elder User
52 Merc & ibuzzard, I understand what you are saying. Trust me, being in the Army I have grown to dislike acronyms and the phonetic spellings of words. I don't quite think its that these people are just being lazy, as it is this is the way they have learned with all the "MP3's, game controllers, and Droid phones". Just a quick question, lets say some younger guy joins up because he got an old truck he wants to fix up to take his kids cruising. He asks a question about brakes because he is new to these old trucks but he isn't the greatest speller in the world, but you know what hes asking. Would you answer him or ignore him because he didn't spell things correctly or used a couple short cuts in his wording?

Old 02-06-2011, 11:51 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,838 Likes on 1,837 Posts
Its not about withholding info to be spiteful. If I could make it all the way through the posting and could understand waht he was asking I would definately asnwer the question.

There are times when I'm reading posts where I might be tired, or having one of those days were patience is wearing thin, or I'm just grumpy and the posting doesn't have any punctuation and is just a random string of words. On those occasions I just hit the back button and go one to something else. Sure I might have been able to help, if I could have understood.

Think about this; how much help would the answer be if it were posted in the same fashion? When people ask questions those people answering do their best to be clear, concise, and understandable it just wouldnt do anyone any good to make and answer that couldnt be read that had multiple facets and needed detailed explanations what if it had a huge big long step by step process hook this wire up here but not before disconnecting the battery make sure the ground is connecte dand then short the field wire to a good ground make sure when reconnecting the ground wire that its going to bare metal and not a painted surface poor and faulty grounds ar ethe leading cause of electrical gremlins in these old trucks and newer cars alike now lets all have a frosty beverage and get on with it have a good day

Bobby

Quick Reply: punkshuation