Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Generic Electronic Module (GEM)

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 09:09 PM
SUPERDUTY OUTLAW
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Generic Electronic Module (GEM)

I have narrowed my electrical problem down to the GEM it is being powered all the time for some reason even with the key out does anybody know what could be causing this. I have installed an aftermarket stereo in it and was wondering if that could have anything to do with it. Couple months back it was delaying for the windshield wipers and the power windows upon start up. any help would be awesome.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:02 AM
JockD
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The GEM is screwed onto the back of the fuse panel under the dash. When I had mine out, I found the easiest way to do it was to pull out the whole works. First remove the two large plugs with the large wiring harnesses from the back of the fuse panel. It takes a 10MM socket to loosen the bolt in each plug. Then use a 10MM deep socket to remove the two upper bolts and two lower nuts from the fuse panel. The lower nuts are sort of hidden in the lower dash channel. You can then push the panel back and twist it to access the three smaller plugs that come in from the left side. Once those plugs are removed, work the fuse panel down toward the floor.

With the fuse panel out, there will be three screws holding the GEM onto the fuse panel. With them removed, you can unplug the GEM from the panel. There is a identification tag on the GEM. The junkyard will be able to determine from these numbers which GEM will replace yours. I think the retail price of a used GEM is about $150.00.

If another GEM doesn't fix your problem, then we are left with troubleshooting the inputs which come in from the three plugs on the left side. I hope that someone with more experience in troubleshooting the GEM will show up here.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:15 AM
JockD
Laughing Gas
Another thought - have you checked to see if there are any trouble codes stored? The service manual has a whole list of codes that should help isolate the problem. If there are no codes, it will make this much harder.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:03 AM
Jzinkiewicz
Senior User
I have the same issue. GEM, I wish I knew where to find one for a $150. Getting one form the boneyard seems a little risky. You don't know if the one your buying is bad as well. Problems I have are no PDL, Interior lights stay on more than they should, cig.lighter. This little GEM controls a lot of functions and must be reprogrammed by a dealer when you get a new one. I've been quoted $500. not including dealer costs.

Originally Posted by SUPERDUTY OUTLAW
I have narrowed my electrical problem down to the GEM it is being powered all the time for some reason even with the key out does anybody know what could be causing this. I have installed an aftermarket stereo in it and was wondering if that could have anything to do with it. Couple months back it was delaying for the windshield wipers and the power windows upon start up. any help would be awesome.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:14 AM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jzinkiewicz
I have the same issue. GEM, I wish I knew where to find one for a $150. Getting one form the boneyard seems a little risky. You don't know if the one your buying is bad as well. Problems I have are no PDL, Interior lights stay on more than they should, cig.lighter. This little GEM controls a lot of functions and must be reprogrammed by a dealer when you get a new one. I've been quoted $500. not including dealer costs.
You are 100% correct here. It is one of the things that the dealer has you by the chogies for.

Old 04-02-2009, 09:24 PM
JockD
Laughing Gas
Deven, Have you checked for codes yet?

Do you have ESOF 4x4? Does it work properly?

Have you removed the GEM yet? It is worth removing it and then reinstalling it to check if it is still malfunctioning. I had one that fixed itself by doing that.

While you have it out, check all the contacts for corrosion. Some problems come from water leakage and the resulting corrosion.

Old 04-02-2009, 09:31 PM
SUPERDUTY OUTLAW
Elder User
I will check for codes tonight. I have ESOF and it works fine. I will also pull that GEM out and put it back in and see if that helps hopefully because i don't really want to spend that kind of money right now i will just pull the fuse for awhile if it don't fix it.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:21 PM
JockD
Laughing Gas
Deven, I found this thread on another site. It has some good background information.

ignition wont turn off don't know where to start - Diesel Forum - The Diesel Stop.com

Old 04-03-2009, 12:30 AM
SUPERDUTY OUTLAW
Elder User
Jock I got a code P0603 Internal Control Module KAM Error

Old 04-03-2009, 01:41 AM
JockD
Laughing Gas
It looks like that code does not relate to the GEM. I may be set by your Edge Evolution, but should not affect anything.

I guess next up the the remove, check for corrosion/damage, and replace.

By the way, there are only 2 programmable features to the GEM: 1) belt minder, 2) tire size.

Old 04-03-2009, 02:22 AM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Jock I got a code P0603 Internal Control Module KAM Error
That is a code that is set when the GEM has "noticed" a loss of power.

Old 04-03-2009, 05:33 AM
SUPERDUTY OUTLAW
Elder User
Alright so I will try to clean it up today if it is nice out.

Old 04-03-2009, 09:39 AM
JockD
Laughing Gas
Jim, am I right in thinking that Deven pulling the fuse would cause the P0603 code?

There are a whole bunch of codes listed for the GEM functions. Since he has none of these does anyone have an idea of what would cause his problems without throwing a code? I am thinking that the GEM is getting a normal signal from a sensor that keeps the Accessory Delay Relay closed. The key chime would be a sympom of that.

Deven, is the chime you were getting the one for the key in the ignition, or for the key ON with the door open?

Old 04-03-2009, 10:22 AM
SUPERDUTY OUTLAW
Elder User
The chime I am getting is from the key being in the ignition and the door open. It is the slower ding, not like when the headlights are on. Also would my aftermarket stereo wiring have anything to do with it maybe?

Old 04-03-2009, 11:27 AM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Originally Posted by JockD
Jim, am I right in thinking that Deven pulling the fuse would cause the P0603 code?

There are a whole bunch of codes listed for the GEM functions. Since he has none of these does anyone have an idea of what would cause his problems without throwing a code? I am thinking that the GEM is getting a normal signal from a sensor that keeps the Accessory Delay Relay closed. The key chime would be a sympom of that.

Deven, is the chime you were getting the one for the key in the ignition, or for the key ON with the door open?
Yes it will. You'll get the same code if you disconnect the batteries. It is just the GEM saying that it lost power

The chime I am getting is from the key being in the ignition and the door open. It is the slower ding, not like when the headlights are on. Also would my aftermarket stereo wiring have anything to do with it maybe?
It could. Did you use a harness or cut and splice the factory wires?

Quick Reply: Generic Electronic Module (GEM)