1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Water leak Question.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 04:39 PM
placilla
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water leak Question.

My 19 year old nephew has a '01 Ranger with a 3.0 engine. The truck was overheating one night and noticed there was no water in the overflow. He added water and got home fine. Once at home he checked the water and had to add more water. Next day drove for an hour with no problem and the truck started to overheat again. Took the truck to Pep Boys and they told him he need a new engine. So he brought the truck to me to look at it.

I added water to the overflow and drove around the block and the temp gauge did not go over half. The truck ran fine, had power and accelerates with no problems. Got home and the overflow was empty, checked the oil and no water. Looked around and noticed a leak around the water pump area. The leak is on top left corner (passenger side), but it looks like the coolant is coming from behind the timing belt cover. I also noticed pieces of gasket around the area that the coolant is coming from. Is there something behind there that could be leaking? Is it the water pump, but just leaking form there?

I’m taking it apart this weekend to see what’s up, but I just wanted to get some input from some of you and what it could be or what to look for.

Thanks

Old 04-01-2009, 05:50 PM
bazzman1953
Elder User
A real close look will probably tell you that the waterpump is gone, not the engine. Not owning the 3.0 engine I'm not sure if the waterpump is located in the same place my 4.0 is, but that is where I'd start. Others on this forum can clarify that better than me.

Old 04-01-2009, 06:29 PM
Dan Robertson
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unless Ford has drastically changed something since 1998, a 3.0 doesn't have a timing belt. If the leak is in the front of the engine, it is most likely the water pump or possibly the thermostat housing. The water pump should have a "make or break hole" usually somewhere on the bottom and often starts to leak there just before the water pump fails entirely. When under pressure, the coolant can spray out of that hole until it hits some thing else making it look like its leaking from another source. I agree that the water pump is probably your culprit.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:29 AM
Danger_Dave
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
he is talking about the timing chain cover which is a huge front cover that attaches to the block and the water pump is thus bolted to that. mine is leaking in the same EXACT spot....

i was unable to determine if it was that or the water pump that was leaking,
but now that i took the alternator and bracket off, and got in there for a closer look, i have verified it is most definitely that big timing cover. it must have a water jacket that runs through it.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:19 PM
bulldogchief
Senior User
I just had the timing chain cover gasket replaced (because I am too lazy to do it myself) due to an oil leak. I had an overheating problem last year and my overflow tank was dry...filled it and haven't had an overheating problem but I smell burnt coolant when I park. I was on another Ranger forum and was told it could be the lower intake leaking into the cylinders and burning off.

Does that make sense to anybody?

Old 03-03-2011, 12:46 PM
Rangerman Stan
Elder User
bulldogchief; what you describe can and does happen from time to time. If coolant is going out the exhaust it will have a kind of sweet smell, plus the exhaust cloud will linger and not dissapate very soon and may be there all the time. The tail pipe will always be dripping water even after it's run for a long time. If you need to add coolant every week or so that may be where it's going. Make sure it doesn't get into the engine oil. Some of the same symptoms with a cracked head.

Old 03-03-2011, 02:42 PM
bulldogchief
Senior User
Originally Posted by Rangerman Stan
bulldogchief; what you describe can and does happen from time to time. If coolant is going out the exhaust it will have a kind of sweet smell, plus the exhaust cloud will linger and not dissapate very soon and may be there all the time. The tail pipe will always be dripping water even after it's run for a long time. If you need to add coolant every week or so that may be where it's going. Make sure it doesn't get into the engine oil. Some of the same symptoms with a cracked head.
There's no coolant in the oil, I checked. I smell it strongest when I stand on the passenger side, almost like it could be the heater core but I have checked under the dash, under the truck, the engine block, and there is no coolant anywhere.It doesn't smell sweet to me, rather it smells like that coolant smell you get when something like the thermostat freezes in the closed position...like a boilover is about the best way I can describe it. Thing is the truck runs fine; the AC is good, heat is good, temperature is stable (and has been stable since the shop added coolant last summer). I didn't start smelling it until after the timing chain cover gasket was replaced because the old one started leaking oil.

To confuse the matter more, I don't always smell it. I check the overflow and the radiator every other day and haven't had to add coolant, so I don't think it could be leaking. I just don't get it...I am wondering if maybe the water pump may be getting ready to fail...but I see no indication of that anywhere. That's why I'm stumped!