Oregon Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: 892504x4

Big Block Problems............-------

Old 04-01-2009, 12:05 AM
MikeyLikesIt
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big Block Problems............-------

anyone got issues. i just found out i gotta replace my camshaft due to the change in oil. - they took out zddp---- wiped out my cam......
ill post some pics. on the progress over the week and weekend. Here are some.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:52 AM
kjvforme
Postmaster
I guess it's another Govt conspiracy to remove all the old cars but making them brake. Couldn't get enough of the old trucks to fail at the DEQ.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:56 AM
MikeyLikesIt
Senior User
well who knows. they just stoped putting zddp in oil like 1yr and a half ago. so now u gotta buy the addative and add it in when you change the oil. but lesson learned i guess. ill post a pic of the cam when i pull it out.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:21 AM
flamebuster
Posting Guru
was told it mainly affects new cams on break in As a matter of fact it is essential for breaking in new cam. Racing oil still has zddp additive. can also by additive at parts house got mine at napa. Also does not affect roller tappets only flat tappets..

Old 04-01-2009, 01:31 AM
MikeyLikesIt
Senior User
ya i talked to comp cams i have a 268 dur. they said there are onely a few oils that still have the zddp in them one i recognized is valvoline VR1 racing oil. i was running royal purple. but now ill run the vr1 oil cause thats what comp recomends. they also said to stay away from any synthetic oil as well.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:33 AM
flamebuster
Posting Guru
I may be wrong but I understood to stay away from the synthetic oil only for the break in period because it is to slippery for the lifters to scour and set in to the cam lobes. I plan to try the royal purple with zddp after 1,000 mile break in (new rings) comp. and crane cams both claim initial break in of 20 minutes 2,000 - 3,ooo rpm.After that use any oil you want but to wait longer for syn. I too am using valvoline vr-1 right now.

Old 04-01-2009, 04:36 PM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
VERY interesting!!, I have a motor rebuild coming up, did not hear any of this before. Good info.

Old 04-01-2009, 06:38 PM
MikeyLikesIt
Senior User
Angry progress&pain

<!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: album_picturebit --> <TABLE style="FLOAT: left; MARGIN: 5px; WIDTH: 164px; HEIGHT: 168px" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=smallfont vAlign=center align=middle> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- END TEMPLATE: album_picturebit --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: album_picturebit --><TABLE style="FLOAT: left; MARGIN: 5px; WIDTH: 164px; HEIGHT: 168px" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=smallfont vAlign=center align=middle> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- END TEMPLATE: album_picturebit --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: album_picturebit --><TABLE style="FLOAT: left; MARGIN: 5px; WIDTH: 164px; HEIGHT: 168px" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=smallfont vAlign=center align=middle> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- END TEMPLATE: album_picturebit --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: album_picturebit --><TABLE style="FLOAT: left; MARGIN: 5px; WIDTH: 164px; HEIGHT: 168px" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=smallfont vAlign=center align=middle> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- END TEMPLATE: album_picturebit --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: album_picturebit --><TABLE style="FLOAT: left; MARGIN: 5px; WIDTH: 164px; HEIGHT: 168px" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=smallfont vAlign=center align=middle> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- END TEMPLATE: album_picturebit --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: album_picturebit --><TABLE style="FLOAT: left; MARGIN: 5px; WIDTH: 164px; HEIGHT: 168px" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=smallfont vAlign=center align=middle> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- END TEMPLATE: album_picturebit --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: album_picturebit --><TABLE style="FLOAT: left; MARGIN: 5px; WIDTH: 164px; HEIGHT: 168px" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=smallfont vAlign=center align=middle> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- END TEMPLATE: album_picturebit --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: album_picturebit --><TABLE style="FLOAT: left; MARGIN: 5px; WIDTH: 164px; HEIGHT: 168px" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=smallfont vAlign=center align=middle> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- END TEMPLATE: album_picturebit --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: album_picturebit --><TABLE style="FLOAT: left; MARGIN: 5px; WIDTH: 164px; HEIGHT: 168px" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=smallfont vAlign=center align=middle> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- END TEMPLATE: album_picturebit --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: album_picturebit --><TABLE style="FLOAT: left; MARGIN: 5px; WIDTH: 164px; HEIGHT: 168px" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=smallfont vAlign=center align=middle></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
WELL GOT IT APART NOW LOOK AT MY PROOF, NO ZDDP, AND SYNTH/BLEND THE LIFTER WORE 5/16IN. AND THE CAM WORE 3/8IN. SOOOOOOOOOOOO UNCOOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OUCH

Old 04-01-2009, 07:05 PM
MikeyLikesIt
Senior User
Everyone go to my profile and look at my album u can blow up the pics and see the damage much better

Old 04-01-2009, 07:12 PM
dman2008
Posting Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
So first of all that sucks! Second what exactly was the engine doing that told you something was up? Was it poppin or running like crap?

D

Old 04-01-2009, 07:46 PM
wmjoe1953
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Was that at break in? We use delo 400 for all of our break ins, and have never had any trouble what so ever. Are those adjustable rockers on there? I've seen tons of cams go flat just like that during break in because the lash was too tight at break in. When the cam goes flat, it can start making all sorts of things happen....Popping is usually caused when there is an overlap of valve opening, or the timing has jumped, causing it spark with valve partially opened, or by a valve that is sticking. A flat cam by itself shouldn't cause any popping, since it's not really a spark at open valve thing. Flat cams cauase rattling, loss of power, missing, flooding, chocking, etc, etc. That's an ugly looking cam for sure though. Lots of assembly lube during the install. I assemble an average of two motors a week, in the busy season at work. I am the engine builder and installer where I am employed. Most recent fun, was an 04 F-350 PSD. Just finsished a Subaru 2.5 today. Did a Ford 5.0 in a 92 F-150 last week. Will be doing a 396 from a 69 or 70 El Camino next week. Built a nasty little 302 for a 76 Maverick a few months ago, kids first hot rod, and man did it turn out nice. We also build a lot of race motors for some of the local racers.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:26 PM
flamebuster
Posting Guru
could be delo 400 still has the zinc. additive in its blend.. Interesting.to know. Been told all the manufactures have gone to the roller tappets because of the lack of zinc in the oils and they had same problems with flat tappets for the same reason. destryed cam and lifters..
A buddy of mine built up a 351 and put it in his jeep used regular oil, cam lasted 30 minutes.. The next time he used racing oil and the zddp additive. So followed his advice and did the same. 10.00 bucks for the additive is cheaper than a new cam and lifters.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:40 PM
MikeyLikesIt
Senior User
7000 MI ON MOTOR and i used maxlife synth blend and it started to act like it was out of time and running realy rich ohh i also bent a push rod all occured on the #2 cyl. and the exaust is the damaged one and the bent push rod was the intake. both again was on #2 cyl. TOTALY SUCKS.....I TALKED TO NAPA MANAGER TODAY AND THEY SAID ALL THERE STORES ARE IN A SCRAMBLE TO OBTAIN THE ZDDP ADDATIVE. check out my album on my profile and double clik the pics u can really see alot.<TABLE style="FLOAT: left; MARGIN: 5px; WIDTH: 164px; HEIGHT: 168px" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=smallfont vAlign=center align=middle> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- END TEMPLATE: album_picturebit --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: album_picturebit --><TABLE style="FLOAT: left; MARGIN: 5px; WIDTH: 164px; HEIGHT: 168px" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=smallfont vAlign=center align=middle></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Old 04-02-2009, 08:28 AM
dman2008
Posting Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Maxlife

What is weird is that according valvoline the maxlife has zinc/phosphorous in it maybe just not enough. Guess it is time to head to the oil threads and see what people are using.

http://www.valvoline.com/products/Maxlife.pdf

D

Old 04-02-2009, 09:13 AM
wmjoe1953
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
There's something else wrong. If it only happened to one cylinder, then something else is wrong. If it was an oil issue, it would of happened to more than just one. That motor was put together wrong. It has nothing to do with oil, or a lack of oil additive, if that were the case, there would be more damage.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Big Block Problems............-------