Sponsored by:

Best Grill Guard / Bull Bar?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 11:18 PM
ExcursionUSA
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Grill Guard / Bull Bar?

I know this could very well be a SuperDuty forum question as well, but I'd like to start with all of you fine Excursion owners...

I have currently a GoRhino! 3000 Series Grill Guard installed on my '03 Ex, and recently added some IPF high power driving lights to it. The grill guard is great (don't get me wrong) and has a very helpful "step" to access the engine compartment or for cleaning/polishing purposes, but it seems that it does not go well with the lights, as it is very vunerable for vibrations during driving. I tried to tighten up every nut and bolt, still quite a bit of vibration, expecially on rough terrain, which ultimately gets my lights bouncing and vibrating... just annoying.

So... here's my question: Any other, more stable brush/grill guards out there? Pictures would really be appreciated...

Also had a Westin Bullbar before, which I sold in the meantime... I think it would not fit my lights anyways...

Thanks, Andy

Old 04-01-2009, 10:39 AM
BostonX73
Senior User
I just picked up a Westin BB cheap the other day and was getting ready to stick it on. I have a set of KC Daylighters that I'll throw on it when I get new bulbs in them. When I had them on before a set of lock washers seemed to hold them tight- so you might try that if you just have regular washers on your lights now.

Old 04-01-2009, 03:49 PM
BostonX73
Senior User
Got the BB on today, but discovered the holes pre-drilled for lights are directly in front of the stock fog light. Guess I'll look at adding more lights later, see if there is enough room to drill new holes more centered, but still squeeze the 6" lights in between the fogs.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:08 PM
Mountain Cat
Freshman User
I went with the Rancher brand. Had it painted to match the trim and brought the Ford emblem to the front. It's really sturdy and I get compliments on it all the time. I forget how much I paid but it was reasonably priced compared to others I looked at. I haven't had any problem with vibration while driving.

Old 04-05-2009, 09:39 PM
rebelyell618
Elder User
well when you look for a grille guard make sure it is a one piece guard not anything that has bolts on it (except for mounting on to the frame). A welded one piece welded guard is going to be the strongest.

here is the list of companies i would use (post #2 in the link), but i dont know about FL since these are texas companies. as the photo from Mountain Cat is one of the strongest "round tube style" grille guards you'll find.

now the strongest guard out there is a Diamond B out of winters, tx. they use square tubing over round tubing (the damage it does to deer is outrageous and it just holds it shape)

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...ll-guards.html

as for a update from a link in the post the grille guard i have on my truck is a T3 and they another website than on top of the one i listed.
Home - T3 Truck N Trailer is their new one (but the other works and is informative too) they ship all over the country too.

Old 04-05-2009, 10:48 PM
mlshelton
Senior User
My grill guard isn't all one piece construction like others - but that's been a blessing when messing with headlights, etc. and not having to remove the whole damn thing. Especially since we went through 4 sets of headlights before getting it right (meaning the curb appeal was there but no more light output). I would agree a single welded one might be more sturdy, but if you hit anything that's going to dent and tear up, it's going to tear a single one just as bad as a bolted one. And it's really just the left and right pieces that are bolted on - I actually considered when they were off the last time leaving the sides off because the looks were okay - kinda like a oversized bull bar.

The guard itself didn't cut out my factory fogs but adding the bodiak front hitch did. They really didn't provide much light anyway. Now there's 4 big KC's on top and 2 fogs mounted underneath. With the HIDs, it's plenty of light....finally.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:07 AM
rebelyell618
Elder User
Originally Posted by mlshelton
My grill guard isn't all one piece construction like others - but that's been a blessing when messing with headlights, etc. and not having to remove the whole damn thing. Especially since we went through 4 sets of headlights before getting it right (meaning the curb appeal was there but no more light output). I would agree a single welded one might be more sturdy, but if you hit anything that's going to dent and tear up, it's going to tear a single one just as bad as a bolted one. And it's really just the left and right pieces that are bolted on - I actually considered when they were off the last time leaving the sides off because the looks were okay - kinda like a oversized bull bar.

The guard itself didn't cut out my factory fogs but adding the bodiak front hitch did. They really didn't provide much light anyway. Now there's 4 big KC's on top and 2 fogs mounted underneath. With the HIDs, it's plenty of light....finally.
if you're going to hit a wall then yes you are correct. but when it comes to dogs, deer, hogs, etc.. the bolt together will not preform as well as one piece for a couple reson:

1) a bolt together is normally thinner walled tubing and smaller diameter
2) the points where the pieces come together at the nuts and bolts are not a solid piece so when force/impact is applied it isn't shared equally and it goes right for the bolt holes resulting in damage to the guard. that is a double edge sword though since the frame CAN (not all the time, kinda rare for grille guards though. happens on front end replacements more) receive some damage due to no give but it is just as bad as the whole front radiator, lights, hood, etc destroyed.

i have seen it numerous times where a bolt together are just destroyed when a 60lb animal hits comes in contact with it (i live in deer country and see a hit at least once a week. heck i have hit a few deer myself with mine and it is still in the same shape as i bought it).

i know the OP is just looking for sturdy for lights but just giving info from what i see all the time when i comes to grille guards and their strength.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:41 PM
RubenG
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mountain Cat
I went with the Rancher brand. Had it painted to match the trim and brought the Ford emblem to the front. It's really sturdy and I get compliments on it all the time. I forget how much I paid but it was reasonably priced compared to others I looked at. I haven't had any problem with vibration while driving.
Sorry about reviving an old thread, but that is a clean looking truck with a good looking grill guard. This is what I am looking for, do you know if there are any holes to add aux lights? The color is perfect and would go great with my Ex as well, great idea. I see you still have the tow hooks, did you have ample room for these or did you have to shave or modify the grill guard or hooks in any way? How has it held up? Hope you hadn't had to put it to the test. How did you mount the Ford Emblem to the front?