Wiring Brake Control

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2001, 10:59 AM
crawlfish
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wiring Brake Control

Hey all, please help. I've got an 1996 Mazda B-4000 aka Ranger equipped with factory hitch rated at 3500# gross or 300# tongue wt. It states not to use weight distributing (spring type) hitch.

I've bought an enclosed single axle 6x12 cargo trailer equipped with electric brakes and apparently, a spring-type hitch(This hitch has the moveable ball cover that you pull up).

My question is can I safely pull this with my 4-liter v-6 and if so, how do I connect a round 6 pin and brake controller when I'm only equipped with a 4 pin?

Old 12-01-2001, 05:45 PM
dpattonfl
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wiring Brake Control

"I've bought an enclosed single axle 6x12 cargo trailer equipped with electric brakes and apparently, a spring-type hitch(This hitch has the moveable ball cover that you pull up)."

I don't believe that a spring-loaded latch is what the manufacturer was refering to. A weight-distributing hitch is a different animal. No problem on that aspect.

"My question is can I safely pull this with my 4-liter v-6"

As long as the weight limits are not exceeded, there shouldn't be any problem. The electric brakes on the trailer help a lot.

"how do I connect a round 6 pin and brake controller when I'm only equipped with a 4 pin?"

Go to Wal-Mart. They, and lots of other stores, sell an adapter that plugs into the 6-pin plug and provides a 4-pin connector on the other end. Be sure to get the 6-to-4, not the 7-to4.

Old 12-01-2001, 07:32 PM
crawlfish
More Turbo
Wiring Brake Control

Good, I was worried about the hitch type identifying it as a weight distributing type... I've seen the 6-to-4 but stayed away because I didn't understand where the controller would fit in for the electric brakes.

Also, what kind of controller should I buy? I've seen a few different types and don't know what I should be looking for as to features etc..

Thanks!

Old 12-01-2001, 11:59 PM
horsepuller
Post Fiend
Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts
Wiring Brake Control

For brake controllers, try [link:www.tekonsha.com/frproducts.html|Tekonsha], I'm using the 'Prodigy' and am very satisfied.

Old 12-02-2001, 07:02 AM
crawlfish
More Turbo
Wiring Brake Control

Hey, thanks for the link! Looking at their products now, prodigy is new line and I think it's right for a single axle two brake system.

In my brief scan of their site I didn't see prices though...

Old 12-02-2001, 07:45 AM
rotorhead
Senior User
Wiring Brake Control

I also am using the Prodigy. Bought it 3 mos ago, paid right at $200 installed. I'm very pleased with it.

Rotorhead

Old 12-02-2001, 11:19 AM
Dave_C
5th Wheeling
Wiring Brake Control

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 02-Dec-01 AT 12:26 PM (EST)]If you have the four pin connector on your truck and want to use electric brakes you will need to change the connector on the truck. You can use the 6 to 4 adapter, but that will only get you brake lights, tailights and turn signals, no brakes

You can get a 6 pin connector for you truck from any Wal-Mart or rv dealer for less than $10. Connect the 4 wires from your current 4 pin to the correct terminals and then hook up the wire from the brake box output. You can cut off the old 4 pin or splice the new connector in and have both. Good diagrams are here

http://www.drawtite.com/wiring%20guide.htm

The 6th wire is the center pin for 12V, this is auxillary. Good if have something in the trailer that needs a constant 12V like a battery. If you don't need it then you can leave it empty. The brakes and all lights will work with just 5 wires.

I also bought the Prodigy brake controller. Best electronic brake box out there. The price has dropped somewhat to make it reasonable. Mine was $99.95 + 7.00 UPS shipping. Bought it three weeks ago. Works great. Bought mine from:
http://www.ag-supply.com/index.shtml

I called the main 800 #, but they were out of stock, so I called one of the retail locations (The Florence SC store) and they had 15 in stock. Ordered on a Thursday, they shipped the same day. Got it on Monday.

Later,

David Cole

Old 12-02-2001, 05:15 PM
crawlfish
More Turbo
Wiring Brake Control

Okay fellas, good information. I'll take the advice and go with the Prodigy. Also, appreciate the links for references.

As to the center pin being an auxiliary ie, "for a battery..." This would be good for say charging an auto battery in the cargo trailer from which I could feed interior lights while not discharging my truck's battery?

Old 12-02-2001, 07:50 PM
Dave_C
5th Wheeling
Wiring Brake Control

Yes, you can use the center pin to charge a battery. I'm going to do it on mine when I get around to it. I have helped some on my racing buddies do their trailer that way. Charge the race car battery while towing to/from the track.

Just make sure that you use 10 ga wire all the way from the battery to the plug and put a fuse in it. Or better yet a reusable circuit breaker. That way if you ground it by accident no sparks/ fried electrical system.

Later,

David Cole

Old 12-02-2001, 08:09 PM
horsepuller
Post Fiend
Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts
Wiring Brake Control

Yes, RV trailer's use that pin to charge the battery.
There is an inline device, I'm not sure what it's called, that goes between the tow vehicle battery and RV battery. It allows the tow vehicle alternator to charge the RV battery while the alternator is running, but prevents the RV from draining the tow vehicle battery. The parts counter at an RV store will know what it's called. It's about the size of a sugar cube, and pretty cheap.

Old 12-02-2001, 08:36 PM
crawlfish
More Turbo
Wiring Brake Control

Thanks all. Seems to be a good way to keep portable lighting available. I'm using the trailer as a sort of portable shop, lot better than the tarps I had my equipment under.

Old 12-08-2001, 01:46 AM
citizen eric
New User
Wiring Brake Control

I've looked at the Prodigy, the Sentinel and others on that site. I've looked at other so-called "pendulum" or "inertia" type brake controls.

Draw-Tite has a line that activates the brake as soon as you touch the pedal, so your trailer brakes may be applied a bit before the tow vehicle, unlike the Prodigy which senses a drop in forward momentum or decelerration before it engages the trailer brakes.

I had the draw-tite model in my old truck. I didn't want to be under the dash taking it out at the dealer when we bought our new F350, so I'm shopping for a new brake controller.

I was hoping to get some pro's and con's for both types, but it looks like you all are fans of the inertia type.

Can you tell me why?

Thanks,

Eric
Anchorage, Alaska

Old 12-08-2001, 03:01 AM
TonyG
Senior User
Wiring Brake Control

>I've looked at the Prodigy, the Sentinel and others on that
>site. I've looked at other so-called "pendulum" or
>"inertia" type brake controls.
>
>Draw-Tite has a line that activates the brake as soon as you
>touch the pedal, so your trailer brakes may be applied a bit
>before the tow vehicle, unlike the Prodigy which senses a
>drop in forward momentum or decelerration before it engages
>the trailer brakes.

>
>I was hoping to get some pro's and con's for both types, but
>it looks like you all are fans of the inertia type.
>
>Can you tell me why?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Eric
>Anchorage, Alaska

I don't think the inertia type controllers wait for the inertia pendulum to move before applying brakes, rather they increase the braking force as the pendulum moves forard.

Tony

Old 12-08-2001, 10:33 AM
Dave_C
5th Wheeling
Wiring Brake Control

>>, unlike the Prodigy which senses a
>>drop in forward momentum or decelerration before it engages
>>the trailer brakes.
>
>>
>>I was hoping to get some pro's and con's for both types, but
>>it looks like you all are fans of the inertia type.
>>
>>Can you tell me why?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Eric
>>Anchorage, Alaska
>
>I don't think the inertia type controllers wait for the
>inertia pendulum to move before applying brakes, rather they
>increase the braking force as the pendulum moves forard.
>
>
>Tony

The Prodigy has a "boost" feature that is very useful. It doesn't have to wait for a pendulum to move before it starts to apply the brakes. You can set it at 13% or 25% (heavy trailer) of braking power. When you touch the brake pedal it reads from the brake light circuit that you are braking. Automatically applies the trailer brakes the set percentage. The inertia system takes over from there. Works really smooth. No jerking. It's very good for those like myself that prefer the trailer brakes to lead the truck brakes.

It's easy to set. Just push a button on the front of the unit. Once and one bar lights up on the display (13%) or push it twice and two bars light up. (25%)

It looked around alot before I bought mine. Looked at many truck/towing sites. It always came to down to the top two. The Prodigy and Jordan 2020. The Jordan is not inertia based. It is mechanical. It has a cable attached to the brake pedal. 99% of the Jordan owners love them, But I found a few who had some problems with the cable clamp. Couldn't find anyone with any Prodigy problems, so I bought the Prodigy.

Later,

David Cole

Old 12-25-2001, 04:56 AM
Edmo
Senior User
Wiring Brake Control

Eric,

Go over to 6 Robbles... They have several different types and lots of knowledge in the trailer business.

Edmo
Anchorage, AK

Quick Reply: Wiring Brake Control