Computer Chips & Tuners  

SuperChips Cortex 1950?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 12:46 PM
V8EXPLR
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SuperChips Cortex 1950?

I have a 2006 F150 Screw XLT 5.4L FFV 4x4. All stock, no intake or exhaust, only a drop in K&N filter.

Just received the above mentioned tuner over the weekend. Installed it with the "Quick Tunes" 87 octane setting. It does have a performance and tow tune under "Quick Tunes", as well as advanced tune settings for personal adjustments.

Before moving to any other setting, I wanted to check to see if anyone else has this on any of their Ford vehicles? Any good/bad reviews out there? Suggestions on how or what I should adjust? I'm new to the tuner scene, so any insight would be appreciated.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:19 AM
V8EXPLR
Elder User
Bump:

I take it no one has any experience with this programmer, or at least don't have any experience with it on the 5.4L 150?

Can anyone tell me what are the most common problems experienced in a gaser with running a programmer? What can it harm in the tranny, engine, etc? I don't plan on running an aggressive setting, just something for a little increased mpg, throttle response and shift points.

Thanks!

Old 04-14-2009, 09:01 PM
Sethw3
Senior User
Im getting one tomorrow... How did it work out. All tunes will be safe on a stock vehicle as long as you run the proper gas.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:42 AM
V8EXPLR
Elder User
Originally Posted by Sethw3
Im getting one tomorrow... How did it work out. All tunes will be safe on a stock vehicle as long as you run the proper gas.
So far the truck is running great and this is on the stock 87 octane setting. The throttle response and shift points are much better than factory, and the tach flow much more freely. Gas mileage I truly can't say yet, as I'm only on my 2nd tank since installing (was in D.C. all last week). The 1st tank came to about the same mileage as stock (14mpgs), maybe a little worse, but I attribute this to my right foot. I've since adjusted how much throttle I give it now that I'm a little more accustomed to how the truck performs. We'll see what I bring home on this 2nd tank.

Of course this is the only aftermarket item on the truck, so it's completely stock other than the tuner. I have yet to try out the stock performance or tow modes, but may try the tow this summer when heading up the mountains for some fun. I'm hesitant to try customizing the settings yet, as I do not want to impact the longevity and warranty on the truck. Of course I'm starting to get the mod bug and would like to see how the truck will perform with a CAI and cat-back installed. With the economy and expenses right now, those may be a little farther out in getting, but at least I'm happy for now.

Old 04-17-2009, 11:03 AM
Sethw3
Senior User
I got mine and set it on performance out of the box... I have only a drop in K&N and Flowmaster muffler that the previous owner put on... but WOW what a difference... its not as programmable as I would have liked but oh well.... I'm now on the 87 tune and do appreciate the shift points... I may jump to the towing for everyday driving... the only problem that I have is all the programs only require 91 octane and where I live I only get 87, 89 or 93.... so the extra cost is there.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:20 PM
Murderedf150
New User
probelms with Cortex programmer

I recently got the cortex programmer for my 5.4L 09 f150 4x4. I tried doing the milage plus setting and all i changed was my wheel size to 33". after it was installed i got the "limp-home" wrench on my dash and when i started up my truck it didnt idle right, was jumping from 300-600 sounding like it was going to die...any suggestions what to do to make it work correctly...do i have to change other settings in the milage plus tune so my truck runs properly? ANY ADVICE/HELP much appreciated.

V|R
Andrew

Old 06-02-2010, 01:27 PM
V8EXPLR
Elder User
Originally Posted by Murderedf150
I recently got the cortex programmer for my 5.4L 09 f150 4x4. I tried doing the milage plus setting and all i changed was my wheel size to 33". after it was installed i got the "limp-home" wrench on my dash and when i started up my truck it didnt idle right, was jumping from 300-600 sounding like it was going to die...any suggestions what to do to make it work correctly...do i have to change other settings in the milage plus tune so my truck runs properly? ANY ADVICE/HELP much appreciated.

V|R
Andrew
Go to the Superchips forum (link below), create your self an account and post your issues. They have tech support from SuperChips that will respond to your issues. Sometimes they will ask for your serial number and can make specific upgrades/changes to your tuner only. After they complete this upgrade, you'd simply download the most current software via the web. Hope they can help you.

https://www.superchips.com/forum/index.php