Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Towing, Trailers & 5th Wheels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Towing, Trailers & 5th Wheels SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-19-2002, 11:28 AM
New User

ambrosia is starting off with a positive reputation.
Post 1993 Explorer Sport Tow Capacity

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 19-Feb-02 AT 11:28 AM (EST)]Need to know the towing capacity for a 1993 Explorer Sport. Towing a 2200lb (about) pop-up camper. No manuals for the Expy. Towed find in drive, but backing up caused problems. It is a manual transmission if this makes a difference.

Help please!!
Old 02-19-2002, 11:54 AM
Posting Guru

ranger pat is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.ranger pat is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
1993 Explorer Sport Tow Capacity

My manual shows two ratings depending on axle ratio.
M/T with 3.27 ratio GCW 6,000 lb
M/T with 3.73 ratio GCW 7,000 lb
GCW includes your loaded vehicle and loaded trailer.
If you have a 4x4 with manual hubs like mine, you
can leave the hubs out and select 4 low when backing up
that allows you to creep slowly and maneuver without
slipping the clutch.
Old 02-19-2002, 12:07 PM
New User

>My manual shows two ratings depending on axle ratio.
>M/T with 3.27 ratio GCW 6,000 lb
>M/T with 3.73 ratio GCW 7,000 lb
>GCW includes your loaded vehicle and loaded trailer.
>If you have a 4x4 with manual hubs like mine, you
>can leave the hubs out and select 4 low when backing up
>that allows you to creep slowly and maneuver without
>slipping the clutch.

How will I know what the axle ratio is??

Do you know the empty weight of the vehicle??

Please forgive me, I am kinda dumb on this kinda stuff.

Old 02-20-2002, 02:41 PM
Posting Guru

ranger pat is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.ranger pat is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.

To get the axle code, look inside the drivers door on the label. Than reference that against a page in the owners manual that decodes the letter/number into a ratio.

To get the weight of your vehicle, use 3500 pounds or get your vehicle weighed at your local truck weight station, truck service shop etc. Lots of places advertise public scales.
Old 02-20-2002, 05:48 PM
New User

If only we had the owners manual.
Old 02-20-2002, 09:11 PM
Posting Guru

Two ways, post your axle code and I will decode it, or crawl behind the rear axle and read the ratio off the tab hanging from one of the bolts at the rear axle cover.
Old 02-21-2002, 09:34 AM
New User

Thanks, I will get my Hubby to look (he drives it to work) and will post it later.
Old 02-21-2002, 10:33 AM
Posting Guru

It will probably either read "D4" for a 3.73 or "41" for 3.27
If it is not one of those, post the code.
Old 02-21-2002, 11:52 AM
New User

Ok he says it is 41 so that means 6000 lbs. If we use 3500 lbs for the weight of the truck, that means we have 2500 lbs to work with. If the trailer is about 2200, and we have it totally loaded with clothes, coolers, camping gear and bikes, plus the family total weight of close to 600 lbs. I figure we should go out and buy an

F-350!!!
Old 02-22-2002, 01:00 PM
Senior User

white99 is starting off with a positive reputation.

99 F150 4x4
94 F150 4x4
01 Expedition
Old 07-25-2014, 11:56 PM
New User

Lauren Terese is starting off with a positive reputation.
NEWBIE HERE! AND I'M A WOMAN WITH NO CAR KNOWLEDGE HELP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger pat View Post
It will probably either read "D4" for a 3.73 or "41" for 3.27
If it is not one of those, post the code.
OK SO I HAVE A 93 FORD EXPLORER XLT. 4 door. it's odometer is broken and I really don't have no clue how many miles it has on it. The odometer reads 600,000 miles.lol. It also says I travel like 30,000 miles a day. Anywho. I just got the trans rebult and I really want to tow my dog grooming trailer. The trailer weighs 1200 and it's shoreline so there are no water tanks. I just have about 300lbs of equipment on it. Do you guys think that would be ok? I looked inside my door and the label says Axel: D4. help!

P.S it only has a bumper tow thingy not a tow package but is there a way I can just buy one and have it installed? Is it worth it?
Old 07-26-2014, 07:39 AM

senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren Terese View Post
OK SO I HAVE A 93 FORD EXPLORER XLT. 4 door. it's odometer is broken and I really don't have no clue how many miles it has on it. The odometer reads 600,000 miles.lol. It also says I travel like 30,000 miles a day. Anywho. I just got the trans rebult and I really want to tow my dog grooming trailer. The trailer weighs 1200 and it's shoreline so there are no water tanks. I just have about 300lbs of equipment on it. Do you guys think that would be ok? I looked inside my door and the label says Axel: D4. help!

P.S it only has a bumper tow thingy not a tow package but is there a way I can just buy one and have it installed? Is it worth it?
Based upon above and the new tranny you can tow it.

You will want to put a receiver hitch on it. It would also recommend and trailer brake controller so that you can engage the trailer brakes to help you stop.

If you are planning on long distance travel then I would recommend a newer vehicle that is larger so that you have more room and can haul more items.

Previous Truck 2008 F250 6.4 with lots of upgrades and a suspension upgrade from Torklift International StableLoads
Old 07-26-2014, 10:10 AM
Senior User

Chalkie is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren Terese View Post

You do not say where you live so there are some other considerations, as well. Senix suggested a trailer brake controller, which I would agree with IF the trailer actually brakes. Not all trailers are required to have them, depending on the weight of the trailer and where you live.

Another consideration, based on where you live, is elevation. Elevation reduces your towing capacity by 3% (I think) per thousand feet. Where I live, that would be 21% and a significant factor.

As I recall from when I had a '92 Explorer, the bumper was rated for 3500# capacity. I put a receiver hitch on it as the trailer would not sit level without a lower tow point. You can get a receiver for less than $200 and they can be self-installed if you are handy as no welding is needed.

You can't really go back and retrofit a trailer towing package without spending a lot of money, and it would not be worth it on a vehicle that old.

You know you live in Colorado if you know where the REAL South Park is.
2008 F-250 6.4 PSD SRW King Ranch on optional 20's, Undercover Tonneau, Line-X,
B&W turnover & Companion slider
2013 40' Infinity 3640RL 5er
Old 07-26-2014, 10:10 AM