Sponsored by: DP Tuner

random vibration while driving..

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 06:02 AM
heavytruk
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
random vibration while driving..

Well, seem to have an issue I can't find from poking around under the truck myself... I am getting a random vibration under the truck, it hits when I roll over a bump (small, big, tiny...doesn't matter) of any kind (although not always, every bump does not start it or end it) and usually will not go away until I hit another bump (small, big, tiny...doesn't matter) I can't seem to place the location of where under the truck it is coming from as it only happens while driving feeling it in my foot and hearing it, have not been able to park it with the vibration still happening, and on that note, I "think" that it always goes away if I roll to a stop..

Half the time is rolls no with no vibration at all, other half... it's not bad enough to stop me from driving, just irritating as all hell, I thought that the 4" exhaust that I had installed around 7 months ago had just finally settled and was maybe resting on a crossmember, but got under on the creeper, everything is as tight as I left it.

Ideas?

Old 03-30-2009, 08:00 AM
brandon_oma#692
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
I have a similar feel and think mine may be the front swaybar ratteling as my bushings are shot.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:52 AM
heavytruk
Senior User
Originally Posted by brandon_oma#692
I have a similar feel and think mine may be the front swaybar ratteling as my bushings are shot.
Is the vibration constant? I'd think if it was the sway bar, the symptom would appear more when cornering than hitting bumps...

Old 03-30-2009, 11:17 AM
heavytruk
Senior User
Just took it for a spin, it almost seems like it is in the drivetrain, the vibration slows down as I do (spinning slower) When I was under the truck this weekend, seemed like everything was tight, course I wasn't putting 7k of weight on it either...

Old 03-30-2009, 12:09 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
I'm confused here... does it vibrate all the time, but "hits" when you drive over a bump? Sounds like 2 different issues to me.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:17 PM
triskit16
Postmaster
Check your steering damper, or whatever its called(the shock absorber deal going fromt left to right). Mine failed and did the same and I threw money at it and it ended up being the ONLY thing I didnt think of checking!

Old 03-30-2009, 12:26 PM
heavytruk
Senior User
Originally Posted by superduty4x4
I'm confused here... does it vibrate all the time, but "hits" when you drive over a bump? Sounds like 2 different issues to me.
not all the time, randomly starts and stops the vibration when hitting any kind of bump, small, large, you name it....thats the only pattern

Old 03-30-2009, 12:27 PM
heavytruk
Senior User
Originally Posted by triskit16
Check your steering damper, or whatever its called(the shock absorber deal going fromt left to right). Mine failed and did the same and I threw money at it and it ended up being the ONLY thing I didnt think of checking!
Can you point me in the general direction of where that is located?

edit: triskit16, can you explain the vibration, how it felt..did you feel that mainly in the steering wheel? I can't say thats where I am feeling it.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:30 PM
triskit16
Postmaster
Lemme see if I can find a pic to make it clearer for ya...

Old 03-30-2009, 12:43 PM
triskit16
Postmaster
Originally Posted by heavytruk
Can you point me in the general direction of where that is located?

edit: triskit16, can you explain the vibration, how it felt..did you feel that mainly in the steering wheel? I can't say thats where I am feeling it.
It felt like I was driving over a cobblestone road. It was just like you described, starting and stopping on bumps, road joints, potholes etc. Very annoying and I felt it everywhere. I was young at the time and didnt really know what could be wrong and didnt pay attention to where I mainly felt it. I was just looking for the next bump to make it stop!

I couldnt find a pic online so I went out and took a pic of mine. Mine is yellow but yours might still be black (I think) if you even have one. Take it off and see if acts like a normal shock or if it has no resistance at all.

I honestly dont know what this damper actually dampers as far as what caused my cobblestone feel, but it stopped it for less than 100 bucks!

Attached Images  
Old 03-30-2009, 12:54 PM
heavytruk
Senior User
Sounds like what you describe, but almost 100% sure I don't have one of those

will take a closer look tonight, hunting for that next bump....yup

Old 03-30-2009, 01:01 PM
triskit16
Postmaster
Could be a possible bad wheel bearing as well...Im not sure. Jack up each front tire and grab the tire at 12 and 6 o'clock positions(I believe) and see if you can get any play in it. If so you have a bearing issue.

Make sure you dont have the steering damper though. It could be black and its not as pronounced or visible if its still the stocker on there. Kinda blends in with everything.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:22 PM
heavytruk
Senior User
would a wheel bearing be intermittent like this?

either way, will defiantly take a closer look at your suggestions and thanks for the input!

Old 03-30-2009, 01:36 PM
triskit16
Postmaster
Anything is possible I reckon! Good luck!

Old 03-30-2009, 02:04 PM
BDalton
Senior User

Have you had it in 4x4 lately? I would try to engage it on a gravel road drive a little ways, then back up and try to take any bind out of the drivetrain then disengage and see if anything changes. I had something similiar to what you describe on an '88 Wrangler, and this "fixed" my problem. Good luck!

Quick Reply: random vibration while driving..