Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Please,need your advice!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 12:28 AM
FordF350Superduty
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please,need your advice!

Hi guys!Which one is better deal: Dodge,which price is redused to $3000 http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/1097152434.html ,or this two Fords 1997 ford f250 longbed 4x4 lifted x-cab DIESEL , http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/ctd/1096800525.html. Thanks!

Old 03-30-2009, 04:20 AM
Opossum
Postmaster
I'd get the 88 F-350 the guy with the dodge is selling, If I had an extra $2000 I wouldn't be saying this cause I'd be there buying it myself.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:03 PM
BigDaddy6969
Senior User
I dont know what you will doing with the trucks but just at a glance I would say '96 Ford>'97Ford>Dodge. Normally I would tell you to go with the dodge just because its cheaper and would pull better but its never a good idea to buy anything with that many miles on it. Same reason as to why I think the '96 would be better than the '97, thats a lot of miles.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:32 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
All those trucks look pretty crappy to me. (97' looks best but thats not saying too much IMO) Don't look like they were taken care of very well. You get what you pay for and repair bills add up quickly.

Old 03-30-2009, 05:35 PM
FordF350Superduty
Senior User
OK,guys,thanks!Here is one more,what are you think? 2000 Ford F-350 XLT *4x4* POWERSTROKE DIESEL* BANK REPO* The mileage on this one is 296.000.

Old 03-30-2009, 07:34 PM
BigDaddy6969
Senior User
Why would anybody want to buy trucks with mileage that high?

Old 03-30-2009, 09:31 PM
Opossum
Postmaster
Originally Posted by BigDaddy6969
For a good truck milage is a non issue.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:39 PM
FordF350Superduty
Senior User
Answer is $$$.I can't spend much money for truck especially now,but,I need truck right now,that's why.

Old 03-30-2009, 11:29 PM
BigDaddy6969
Senior User
Originally Posted by Opossum
For a good truck milage is a non issue.
You sure bout that ace? Unless the truck has been used for nothing but a glorified car that kind of mileage is a BIG red flag when buying a truck. I try to get mine traded off before 100K, from my experience the repairs jump significantly after that.

FordF350Superduty-Maybe try a truck a little older with a big block gas. Im assuming you are going to use it like a truck so you may want to buy a one ton. Check Ebay motors, they have GREAT deals on 90-96 models with 460's in them. If not a 460 you can get the 454 GM or the 8.0 V10 for Dodge as a substitute. If you can find any of these with under 100K miles that is what I would go for, not a diesel with a crapload of miles on them.

Old 03-31-2009, 12:12 AM
Opossum
Postmaster
You sure bout that ace? Unless the truck has been used for nothing but a glorified car that kind of mileage is a BIG red flag when buying a truck. I try to get mine traded off before 100K, from my experience the repairs jump significantly after that.

FordF350Superduty-Maybe try a truck a little older with a big block gas. Im assuming you are going to use it like a truck so you may want to buy a one ton. Check Ebay motors, they have GREAT deals on 90-96 models with 460's in them. If not a 460 you can get the 454 GM or the 8.0 V10 for Dodge as a substitute. If you can find any of these with under 100K miles that is what I would go for, not a diesel with a crapload of miles on them.
Why are you in a FORD forum?

And FWIW your VERY WRONG!

Old 03-31-2009, 12:19 AM
BigDaddy6969
Senior User
Why are you in a FORD forum?

And FWIW your VERY WRONG!
Im in a Ford forum because I've owned/driven/had more experience with Fords than you. What part of what I said do you find "wrong"??

Old 03-31-2009, 01:09 AM
Opossum
Postmaster
Im in a Ford forum because I've owned/driven/had more experience with Fords than you. What part of what I said do you find "wrong"??
What an idiot you have no idea who I am and what I have done or owned. Are you saying you don't even own a Ford now? So your just in here to waste your time.

Nothing you said was right, are actually saying you would rather own a gas truck with 200K over a deisel with 200K? That might be the stupidest thing I have heard today.

I'm sure in your last post you ment to talk about the 87-97 F-350's, there is nothing unique about 90-96.

A F-350 in this year range with a deisel and a manual trans is a truck that will go at least 500K if maintained, and would be rather cheap to own. Comparing that to a V-10 Dodge is a joke. A 88-00 gas 3500 Chevy with a 454 in 2wd is a good rig if you want a 2wd gas truck. But if you want either a 4wd or a deisel the Ford is a way better truck. Once you get to a Deisel and 4wd the Dodge becomes OK and a much better choice then the Chevy, But you need to get a stick, there auto is crap. (still is)

I haven't looked at all this guys choices, but from what I've read I would be looking for a 94.5-97 F-350 4x4 Powerstroke 5-speed. This is one of the best trucks ever made. And certainly the best value in a used work horse of a truck. In 94.5 the deisel got alot better, 97 was the last year of this family, there is no 98 F-350. In the rear you get the stearling axle that is still in use, and up front you get the venerable and bullitproof Dana 60. The weakest link is the auto tranny, so get the stick. This truck will go everyday for 50 years.

Add to all that the simple fact that such a truck will depreciate, very little, making it an even better value. A truck like this would go for between $3000 and $6000 depending on cab style, (inless were talking crew) options, and condition. Notice I didn't say miles, it is a minor factor to anyone who know these trucks.

FWIW I wold rather have a 250K mi truck of this age over a 50k mi truck. That 50K truck either has big problems or was never driven and the worst thing someone can do for the mantnance of a vehicle is not drive it. That 250K truck was driven and cared for every day, and if you continue to do so will keep going for a lifetime. It's just like your health, who's in better shape the guy that runs once a month and sits on the couch the rest of the month. Or the guy that jogs every day. Sure the guy that jogs every day has more miles but who's going to have the heart attack first.

Just my $.02

Old 03-31-2009, 03:13 AM
FordF350Superduty
Senior User
What an idiot you have no idea who I am and what I have done or owned. Are you saying you don't even own a Ford now? So your just in here to waste your time.

Nothing you said was right, are actually saying you would rather own a gas truck with 200K over a deisel with 200K? That might be the stupidest thing I have heard today.

I'm sure in your last post you ment to talk about the 87-97 F-350's, there is nothing unique about 90-96.

A F-350 in this year range with a deisel and a manual trans is a truck that will go at least 500K if maintained, and would be rather cheap to own. Comparing that to a V-10 Dodge is a joke. A 88-00 gas 3500 Chevy with a 454 in 2wd is a good rig if you want a 2wd gas truck. But if you want either a 4wd or a deisel the Ford is a way better truck. Once you get to a Deisel and 4wd the Dodge becomes OK and a much better choice then the Chevy, But you need to get a stick, there auto is crap. (still is)

I haven't looked at all this guys choices, but from what I've read I would be looking for a 94.5-97 F-350 4x4 Powerstroke 5-speed. This is one of the best trucks ever made. And certainly the best value in a used work horse of a truck. In 94.5 the deisel got alot better, 97 was the last year of this family, there is no 98 F-350. In the rear you get the stearling axle that is still in use, and up front you get the venerable and bullitproof Dana 60. The weakest link is the auto tranny, so get the stick. This truck will go everyday for 50 years.

Add to all that the simple fact that such a truck will depreciate, very little, making it an even better value. A truck like this would go for between $3000 and $6000 depending on cab style, (inless were talking crew) options, and condition. Notice I didn't say miles, it is a minor factor to anyone who know these trucks.

FWIW I wold rather have a 250K mi truck of this age over a 50k mi truck. That 50K truck either has big problems or was never driven and the worst thing someone can do for the mantnance of a vehicle is not drive it. That 250K truck was driven and cared for every day, and if you continue to do so will keep going for a lifetime. It's just like your health, who's in better shape the guy that runs once a month and sits on the couch the rest of the month. Or the guy that jogs every day. Sure the guy that jogs every day has more miles but who's going to have the heart attack first.

Just my $.02
Thanks man,like your review about trucks.What you think on this two : Best Auto Recovery , http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ctd/1099967034.html

Old 03-31-2009, 11:59 AM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Do you NEED a truck this size or just WANT it? Lots of young kids in my area driving around in diesels and don't haul or do squat with them, they have them just because they want them. Makes more snse to me to get a sound vehicle with lower miles and once money ain't so tight spend the money and get the truck you want.

Since you don't have much money to spend I would not recommend any truck bigger than an F-150 if you don't absolutely have to have it. I would try and find a good used 1/2 ton truck with under 150k miles. It may not be what you want right now but you have to get the best for the money. I'm just afraid you will buy a fairly old inexpensive diesel and you will end up putting tons of money into it. Trust me the larger the truck the more money it costs. If you buy a diesel with 250k miles and it pukes a turbo and a couple injectors are you going to have the cash to fix it? I'd be looking at a good clean 90s F-150 or maybe even a ranger.

Low miles is better IMO. Just because a vehicle has high mileage doesn't mean it was taken care of better. The high mileage vehicle could have sat for the most part of 5-10 years with little driving and just driven like hell for a coupple years to spike the mileage count. With a used vehicle you just don't know what you get.

I don't find anything wrong with what you said. Any truck no matter what engine can go for 500k miles, if you put enough money into them.

Old 03-31-2009, 12:15 PM
Opossum
Postmaster
Originally Posted by FordF350Superduty
Thanks man,like your review about trucks.What you think on this two : Best Auto Recovery , 1997 ford f250 longbed 4x4 lifted x-cab DIESEL
At first glance I'd say the 97 it looks like a cared for hauler and we know it's got a good drivetrain, BUT it has one HUGE shortcomming. It's a 250, so it does not have the Dana 60 solid front axle, it has what is called a dana 50 (just a beefed up 44) TTB (twin traction beam) independant suspension. These are much weaker and are netorious for alignment problems. This guy must have rotated his tires guite often for them to wear that even, and they are worn out, it needs tires, both cause those are worn out and they sucked when new,

The issue with the 94 is not enough info, but it is also a 250 so it has the same weak front end. And in 94 3 differant deisels were available, a reg 7.3, a turbo 7.3 IDI, and 7.3 DI. Of course you would never go non turbo, But the IDI, (indirect injection) vs DI (direct injection) is a question. DI is what makes it a Powerstroke, that term was introduced with the DI which is the most moderm style of deisel injection still in use in the new trucks, it uses "hydraulic electronic unit injectors" these are computor controlled injectors. The IDI is the simpler old school way, that uses a mechanical unit injector, less to go wrong but also less effecient and thus less powerfull. It's just like comparing fuel injection to carb. This truck looks like a DI Powerstroke only because it has the sticker below the F-250 badge on the fender, DI non Powerstrokes didn't have this sticker. To be sure look at the 8th didgit of the VIN "F" is a DI Powerstroke, "K" is IDI old school turbo.

Bottom line keep looking, the front axle is a big weakness on both these trucks. Look for F-350s.

I don't really know what you need or want, just sharing my opinion on what the toughest, most capable, and bang for the buck trucks are.

You could also be looking at 99-2002 rigs, depending on what you want. There is only two important mechanical changes in these years from 94.5-97. First they have an intrcooler on the turbo, this does help them make better power. Second, auto hubs are an option, I like the Superduty auto hubs cause they give you an option, you can lock them manually or automatically with the electronic shift on the fly. They were also made with two 4wd systems electric and manual, I would look for the manual, just to remove things that can go wrong. That siad it's really more of a style and value choice. The 99-2002 rigs, are still the newer body style and thus you look like your driving a newer truck. This also tends to make them more expensive for basically the same truck. But I like the 97 down better, I think they look better, there simpler, and are a bettter value cause they are already the old style, they will depreciate in value much less.

Quick Reply: Please,need your advice!