460 Rear sump Oil pan/Ford Racing #$%@!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 08:47 PM
dman2008
Posting Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
460 Rear sump Oil pan/Ford Racing #$%@!!!

It is nice but a bit of a buggar to install, So I get it and head out to the shop not realizing that I need a different oil pump for the new sump tube assembly so I went to a local place and found one on Saturday so no big deal. Then on Sunday I do the install a couple things I don't like:

1. Gasket they ship with pan kit the holes for the 4 corners are to small for the bolts.

2. Pan won't fit up with the gasket they ship with it so I am glad I purchased a felpro to go with it other wise it would have been ugly.

3. There are actually no bolts to bolt the sump pipe to the oil pump!

4. The stud main bearing bolt they send is good but you are suppose to use a clip to attach the sump pipe to the stud so I used a nut and lock washer to secure it up. I don't want any loose clips in my block!

5. The back holes on the corners would'nt line up and in fact I had to drill out the pan to get them to line up properly.

6. The last thing which I have'nt quite figured out yet is the dipstick tube assmebly they sent will not work with headers so I am going to have to spend some time customising it.

I do like it and it looks good but a bit irriatating to say the least but when I have to do oil changes it will be nice to have the plug at the back and not over the cross memeber.

Later D

Old 03-29-2009, 09:02 PM
smoke n tires
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i just installed one too. they suck. the clip is for the dipstick so keep it. the main cap stud doesnt have a nut with the kit. the dipstick fits so weird it doesnt clear anything unless you angle it back and it sticks out toward the fender well, then you have to make a custom bracket. i also had to drill the gasket holes.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:22 PM
dman2008
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by smoke n tires
i just installed one too. they suck. the clip is for the dipstick so keep it. the main cap stud doesnt have a nut with the kit. the dipstick fits so weird it doesnt clear anything unless you angle it back and it sticks out toward the fender well, then you have to make a custom bracket. i also had to drill the gasket holes.

Oh so that makes sense about that clip good thing i still have it. Also I read on here where someone said to put some gasket sealant on the oil tube before sticking it in. At least I'm not the only one it just seems like something this straight forward should be easier. I will keep tweeking the tube just hope I don't kink it then I would be choked.

Later D

Old 03-30-2009, 10:32 AM
C-Leigh Racing
Senior User
What kind of pan is it, brand ??? one you got off e bay or its brand new.

I'm glad you mentioned about the dip stick not working out right with headers, because I'm thinking of getting a set & as it is right now, the stick tube hardly clearing the stock exhaust manifolds & where it mounts to the side of the pan, looks like a kid cut the hole with a torch & installed it.

Looking at the rear sump pan, I dont know why the pan I have is different from some of the others I've seen, but its shaped different in the front & at the bottom in the rear. Just weard unless its one special made for a motorhome.
Neil

Old 03-30-2009, 07:04 PM
dman2008
Posting Guru

Oil pan

Originally Posted by C-Leigh Racing
What kind of pan is it, brand ??? one you got off e bay or its brand new.

I'm glad you mentioned about the dip stick not working out right with headers, because I'm thinking of getting a set & as it is right now, the stick tube hardly clearing the stock exhaust manifolds & where it mounts to the side of the pan, looks like a kid cut the hole with a torch & installed it.

Looking at the rear sump pan, I dont know why the pan I have is different from some of the others I've seen, but its shaped different in the front & at the bottom in the rear. Just weard unless its one special made for a motorhome.
Neil
Hi Neil actually it is the ford racing one part #6675-A460 and it is brand new.

Later D

Old 03-31-2009, 09:37 AM
C-Leigh Racing
Senior User
Oh man, you mean it came from Ford & didnt fit no better than that.
I guess they had an outside source make it for them cheap as they could.

More I hear about these pans, better that tig welder is looking to me turning a front sump one around to go on my replacement engine.
Neil

Old 03-31-2009, 11:02 AM
1ole4d
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Nice to read this post AFTER the fact of ordering one from Summit. At least now I know what I have to look forward to. Crap it all...good thing I'm not in a hurry to put the motor together.

Old 03-31-2009, 11:08 AM
C-Leigh Racing
Senior User
Well now, what you putting together & got any 460 parts laying around to get rid of.

Comming your way problaby Friday evening, got a race over at Burnsville, place called Robins Ridge.
Neil

Old 03-31-2009, 11:19 AM
1ole4d
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by C-Leigh Racing
Well now, what you putting together & got any 460 parts laying around to get rid of.

Comming your way problaby Friday evening, got a race over at Burnsville, place called Robins Ridge.
Neil
Awesome! I'm putting together a 460 for my 77 F250. Right now the only thing(s) I've got up for sale is an original 1969 (stock in other words) 351W short block. I have everything but the heads for it. Also have a pair of Weld Draglites with Cooper Cobra tires with less than 30 miles on them. They're have the 1320X (sponsored by PINKS) race this weekend at the Rock if you're interested.

Old 03-31-2009, 02:01 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The reason the pan gasket 4 corner bolt holes don't work is that 1 piece gasket is for the late model engines that use the same size pan bolts all the way around. I use that same gasket intentionally you just have to remove the metal grommets in those 4 holes and it works wonderfully.
Yes rear sump uses a different pump then from sump on a 460 (that has been argued on here several times but when you tear into them you learn real quick that even though ford only lists 1 in there parts books there is 3 actual different pumps over the years on 385 series engines)
The reason you don't have bolts with he kit is Ford just figures you will use the bolts from your current engine since those are non streesed bolts and the old ones will work fine.