2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Everything You Wanted To Know About The IWE System...And Then Some

Old 01-20-2011, 03:21 PM
tayous1
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I replaced my IWE solenoid $54and still having problems. When I pull the line off the IWE solenoid one I has a vacuum the other does not. The rear driver side wheel still makes that card in a spoke sound but only in 4wd. Also since I replaced the IWE when I engage to 4wd it does not make the click-click sound only makes one click.

I have also noticed that when I'm in neutral and switch from 4wd Hi to 4wd low sometimes it shows 4wd low but most of the time it does not. When it does show it takes some time for it to show up. Can anyone help out? Thanks

Old 01-20-2011, 04:08 PM
lowflyer
New User
The good news is the IWE has nothing to do with the rear wheels. The bad news is the IWE has nothing to do with the rear wheels and this thread probably won't answer the mail. That said, if I understood correctly, you pulled the vacuum line (s) off the solenoid and only one has vacuum?? I hope so... Only one goes to the engine. The other branches off to the front IWEs. The solenoid acts as a valve that either allows air to pass through or stops air from passing through. When the engine is running and the selector is in 2WD, the solenoid is in the open position (electricity applied). This allows vacuum from the engine to 'pull' the actuators (at the wheel ends) out of 4WD. When you move the selector to 4WD, electricity to that solenoid is cut off, allowing the valve to close, which cuts the vacuum to the actuators and they revert back to the default 4WD or locked position.

Are you certain the 'noise' is coming from the rear wheel? If so, it is NOT an IWE problem. It might be that the sound is coming from the front but only seems like its coming from the rear (noise can be funny that way).

Do this: Set the brake and start the truck. Leave the selector in 2WD and put it in neutral. See if you can turn the front short-shafts by hand. You should be able to. If Yes, skip the next paragraph.

If No: Pull the vacuum line off the actuator and check for vacuum (each side should be sucking air). If no vacuum is present (not sucking air), disconnect the hoses from the solenoid and connect them together (i.e. by-pass the solenoid). Now both sides should be sucking air. If yes, check to ensure you have power to the solenoid. If you do, then replace the solenoid. If not, check for restrictions in the vacuum lines going to the IWEs.

If you can turn the front short-shafts by hand in 2WD, Select 4WD (high). You should NOT be able to turn the short-shafts by hand. (Note: it may turn a little to lock in the short-shafts. If you can turn either side more than 1/4 turn, that IWE is probably bad.

Let us know how it goes...

Old 01-20-2011, 04:42 PM
tayous1
Freshman User
Originally Posted by lowflyer
The good news is the IWE has nothing to do with the rear wheels. The bad news is the IWE has nothing to do with the rear wheels and this thread probably won't answer the mail. That said, if I understood correctly, you pulled the vacuum line (s) off the solenoid and only one has vacuum?? I hope so... Only one goes to the engine. The other branches off to the front IWEs. The solenoid acts as a valve that either allows air to pass through or stops air from passing through. When the engine is running and the selector is in 2WD, the solenoid is in the open position (electricity applied). This allows vacuum from the engine to 'pull' the actuators (at the wheel ends) out of 4WD. When you move the selector to 4WD, electricity to that solenoid is cut off, allowing the valve to close, which cuts the vacuum to the actuators and they revert back to the default 4WD or locked position.

Are you certain the 'noise' is coming from the rear wheel? If so, it is NOT an IWE problem. It might be that the sound is coming from the front but only seems like its coming from the rear (noise can be funny that way).

Do this: Set the brake and start the truck. Leave the selector in 2WD and put it in neutral. See if you can turn the front short-shafts by hand. You should be able to. If Yes, skip the next paragraph.

If No: Pull the vacuum line off the actuator and check for vacuum (each side should be sucking air). If no vacuum is present (not sucking air), disconnect the hoses from the solenoid and connect them together (i.e. by-pass the solenoid). Now both sides should be sucking air. If yes, check to ensure you have power to the solenoid. If you do, then replace the solenoid. If not, check for restrictions in the vacuum lines going to the IWEs.

If you can turn the front short-shafts by hand in 2WD, Select 4WD (high). You should NOT be able to turn the short-shafts by hand. (Note: it may turn a little to lock in the short-shafts. If you can turn either side more than 1/4 turn, that IWE is probably bad.

Let us know how it goes...
Just did it and when placed in 4wd hi I could not turn it but could in 2wd.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:47 PM
lowflyer
New User
Sounds like your IWE system is functioning properly.

As for the rear wheel making a "card in the spoke" sound in 4WD only... That's a tough one. The rear wheels function exactly the same whether in 2WD or 4WD. Switching between doesn't change anything within the wheel/wheel components or even rear axle.

When you switch from 2WD to 4WD high, effectively two things happen. (1) The IWE solenoid/IWE actuator action I discussed in the previous post and (2) the transmission engages the transfer case (to turn the front axle). Niether of those affect the rear at all.

Then, when you switch from 4H to 4L, effectively one thing happens. I don't claim to be even a wannabe expert on transmissions but in general terms, the transmission itself switches to a larger primary drive gear (whereby reducing the gear ratio within the transmission itself). This too has no effect on how the rear end functions.

I have to ask again. Are you certain the sound is coming from the left rear wheel (and only the left rear wheel)?

Old 01-20-2011, 07:14 PM
tayous1
Freshman User
Sounds like your IWE system is functioning properly.

As for the rear wheel making a "card in the spoke" sound in 4WD only... That's a tough one. The rear wheels function exactly the same whether in 2WD or 4WD. Switching between doesn't change anything within the wheel/wheel components or even rear axle.

When you switch from 2WD to 4WD high, effectively two things happen. (1) The IWE solenoid/IWE actuator action I discussed in the previous post and (2) the transmission engages the transfer case (to turn the front axle). Niether of those affect the rear at all.

Then, when you switch from 4H to 4L, effectively one thing happens. I don't claim to be even a wannabe expert on transmissions but in general terms, the transmission itself switches to a larger primary drive gear (whereby reducing the gear ratio within the transmission itself). This too has no effect on how the rear end functions.

I have to ask again. Are you certain the sound is coming from the left rear wheel (and only the left rear wheel)?
About 95% sure that it's only the left rear tire. I thought it might be the hub actuators also.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:32 PM
lowflyer
New User
Have you tried hanging out the door while it's making that noise to be absolutely certain it's coming from the left rear? AND as importantly, only while in 4WD? (yes, I'm aware how unsafe that is... not to mention how rediculous it looks)

There it went. I just watched my credibility walk out the door... But I'm hitting the post button anyway.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:28 PM
lowflyer
New User
Ok. Just saw your original post...

"Originally Posted by tayous1
I been having a little problem with my truck when I drive it down the road it sounds like someone placed a baseball card in the spokes of a bike ... Other weird thing is it stops making the noise when I turn on the 4x4. Yet when I turn the 4x4 on the rear tire makes a thud sound."

Originally, you said it stops when you put it in 4WD. Now you say it only happens while in 4WD. I’m confused. The thud is normal. It's just the transfer engaging (as long as it's not a major THUD!).

The card in the spokes noise (while in 2WD) is symptomatic of a bad IWE solenoid, a bad check valve in the vacuum line or a bad IWE actuator on one of the front hubs.

A card in the spokes noise while in 4WD (4X4) coming from the left rear is just weird. I have no clue. Sorry.

Maybe XJCamaro or TN 150 have an idea. Good luck.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:29 PM
tayous1
Freshman User
Ok. Just saw your original post...

"Originally Posted by tayous1
I been having a little problem with my truck when I drive it down the road it sounds like someone placed a baseball card in the spokes of a bike ... Other weird thing is it stops making the noise when I turn on the 4x4. Yet when I turn the 4x4 on the rear tire makes a thud sound."

Originally, you said it stops when you put it in 4WD. Now you say it only happens while in 4WD. I’m confused. The thud is normal. It's just the transfer engaging (as long as it's not a major THUD!).

The card in the spokes noise (while in 2WD) is symptomatic of a bad IWE solenoid, a bad check valve in the vacuum line or a bad IWE actuator on one of the front hubs.

A card in the spokes noise while in 4WD (4X4) coming from the left rear is just weird. I have no clue. Sorry.

Maybe XJCamaro or TN 150 have an idea. Good luck.
It use to do the spoke noise in 2wd then one day it stopped. About a week after it stopped I bought the IWE replaced it and took the truck around the block there was no noise unless I came to a stop then tried to speed up. Today with the ground covered in snow in the drive way I did notice that in 4wd that it looked like that rear tire was the only one spinning and throwing snow. I did this with the door open and I'm sure it came from that tire. It's like I only have 4wd in three of my tires. I notice that the side that was sliding all day when I made turns today.

I also know I need to replay the tires also pulling my RV really took a lot of tread off them. Most because I was to lazy and did not change the air presser back down to 55psi from the 75psi I had them at when I was pulling. Tires have maybe 10K or so on them and all 4 need to be replaced.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:06 AM
xjcamaro89
Posting Guru
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
I dont know what to add. There was a guy on here recently that had a rattleing noise when in 4WD but it ended up being something in his front diff.

Old 01-21-2011, 03:31 PM
lowflyer
New User
Originally Posted by Tayous1: "Today with the ground covered in snow in the drive way I did notice that in 4wd that it looked like that rear tire was the only one spinning and throwing snow. I did this with the door open and I'm sure it came from that tire. It's like I only have 4wd in three of my tires. I notice that the side that was sliding all day when I made turns today."//

While in 4WD, only one wheel is actually spinning? Were the other three doing anything?

Old 01-21-2011, 08:00 PM
tayous1
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Tayous1: "Today with the ground covered in snow in the drive way I did notice that in 4wd that it looked like that rear tire was the only one spinning and throwing snow. I did this with the door open and I'm sure it came from that tire. It's like I only have 4wd in three of my tires. I notice that the side that was sliding all day when I made turns today."//

While in 4WD, only one wheel is actually spinning? Were the other three doing anything?
You know never thought of it that way. I thought that the other three where the ones that where good but it might be the other way around? I know the front two are moving but that passenger rear might not be moving? It did not throw up any of the snow the the drivers side did. Yet what would cause one tire not to spin?

Thanks for the help it's always nice to have another person that might thing of the simple things you don't think of!

Old 01-22-2011, 03:33 PM
lowflyer
New User
Well, if you know the fronts were turning (i.e. being turned by the tranny), then having one rear tire break loose is not necessarily symptomatic of a problem. Even a limited slip rear differential (if you have one) could have one wheel break loose while the other doesn't. A non limited slip could allow it anyway so I don't know that I would focus on that as a symptom; it probably isn't.

AND... it would surprise me if that 'niose' is actually coming from a rear wheel only while in 4WD. Could be its generated somewhere else (i.e. transmission) but is transfering the sound through the drive shaft and differential to the rear.

When all else fails, you really just have to take it to a professional. Sorry.

Old 01-30-2011, 11:33 AM
tayous1
Freshman User
Well, if you know the fronts were turning (i.e. being turned by the tranny), then having one rear tire break loose is not necessarily symptomatic of a problem. Even a limited slip rear differential (if you have one) could have one wheel break loose while the other doesn't. A non limited slip could allow it anyway so I don't know that I would focus on that as a symptom; it probably isn't.

AND... it would surprise me if that 'niose' is actually coming from a rear wheel only while in 4WD. Could be its generated somewhere else (i.e. transmission) but is transfering the sound through the drive shaft and differential to the rear.

When all else fails, you really just have to take it to a professional. Sorry.
Found the problem why the one back tire was no spinning on the snow! The tread on the tire is about gone. I'm going to switch that tire with one of the ones on front or just replace it with the spare tire.

Old 01-30-2011, 02:00 PM
FoxBody91
New User
Awesome job by the OP xjcamaro89. That post saved me a ton of headache and money. My 08 5.4 started making (what I thought was) the noise yesterday. After reading this thread the first thing I did was unplug the IWE solenoid electrically. This made the noise stop.

The next thing I did was test the check valve closest to the solenoid and sure enough, it was bad. I'll be picking one up from the dealership tomorrow.

Andy

Old 02-05-2011, 04:07 PM
OCBill3
New User
Wow!

Awesome Post xjcamaro89! I wish I'd found this earlier.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Everything You Wanted To Know About The IWE System...And Then Some