1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

'48 - '52 Windshield washer

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 04:01 AM
Abomination
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'48 - '52 Windshield washer

Anybody here have one of these?

If so, would you mind posting a pic? I'm pretty sure I can find a jar that will work and make a bracket, but I'm real curious as to the placement of the squirter...

~Jason

Old 03-29-2009, 05:26 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
I did a search using Google and found two old discussions from 2005 about them. Not much there but a couple of members might have the original set ups. You might be able to get some information from them:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/3...on-a-51-a.html

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/3...-49-50-f1.html

Old 03-29-2009, 06:34 PM
Abomination
Senior User
Thanks, Bob!

I PMed Texan2004 to see if I can get few pics off of him. Surely I can come up with something similar if I can see pics of the original...

~Jason

Originally Posted by bobj49f2
I did a search using Google and found two old discussions from 2005 about them. Not much there but a couple of members might have the original set ups. You might be able to get some information from them:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/3...on-a-51-a.html

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/3...-49-50-f1.html

Old 03-29-2009, 09:38 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have an NOS assembly still in the box. Will have to get it out and take some pictures for you.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:52 PM
Abomination
Senior User
OUTSTANDING!

I would be eternally grateful, sir! Say, what year is it from?

~Jason

Originally Posted by 51PanelMan
I have an NOS assembly still in the box. Will have to get it out and take some pictures for you.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:00 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Not sure on the exact year, but I believe that all 48-52 (and maybe even through 55) are the same. Cars used similar devices and there were also other similar aftermarket set ups.

I also had an NOS assembly for a 56 truck that I was going to use on my 52 Panel, but I ran across the correct NOS assembly and sold the 56 assembly.

When I found the correct NOS assembly at a swap meet, the vendor also had another one, but it was missing a part or two. I passed on the the other assembly. However, walking through the swap meet, I talked myself into buying the other assembly, but by the time I came back, it was gone. I kicked myself in the butt all the way home for not buying the other NOS assembly for $20.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:26 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I think there were two types - bag and jar. I have the jar type. There is a foot pump with lever mounted down above the high beam switch. I replaced my nozzels with T-bird nozzels - that's all I could find, and mine were busted off.

It works great!

Old 03-29-2009, 10:41 PM
Abomination
Senior User
Oh, damn man... that hurts!

You've seen the kit... does it look like something a guy could fabricate?

~Jason

Originally Posted by 51PanelMan
Not sure on the exact year, but I believe that all 48-52 (and maybe even through 55) are the same. Cars used similar devices and there were also other similar aftermarket set ups.

I also had an NOS assembly for a 56 truck that I was going to use on my 52 Panel, but I ran across the correct NOS assembly and sold the 56 assembly.

When I found the correct NOS assembly at a swap meet, the vendor also had another one, but it was missing a part or two. I passed on the the other assembly. However, walking through the swap meet, I talked myself into buying the other assembly, but by the time I came back, it was gone. I kicked myself in the butt all the way home for not buying the other NOS assembly for $20.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:50 PM
Abomination
Senior User
You rock my WORLD, Julie!

Are those repop stickers? I'd LOVE to see the foot pump and especially the nozzles...

If I can get a similar jar and nozzles I'd likely hide an electric pump and make a momentary contact switch that resembles the OEM one.

~Jason

Originally Posted by Julies Cool F1
I think there were two types - bag and jar. I have the jar type. There is a foot pump with lever mounted down above the high beam switch. I replaced my nozzels with T-bird nozzels - that's all I could find, and mine were busted off.

It works great!

Old 03-29-2009, 11:16 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Yep, new stickers. The washer was installed in the truck when we bought it. That doesn't mean it's stock though. Here are pictures of the nozzles. I'll take one of the foot pump tomorrow - too dark tonight.

You sound like an options junky!

Me too! I love them and have just about all I could find on my truck!!!! Full front tilt, washers, heaters, FOUR horns (and maybe you noticed the siren but don't tell anyone) cowl vent for the heater, sun visor, spotlights, 3 tooth and 5 tooth grilles, spare tire carrier (with chrome Continental Kit), YOM plates, etc. etc.

Here's the pic, it's the little stainless thingy in the blue area:

Here's another shot after I reprimed the cowl and cab...very clean looking don't you think?:

Here's a catalogue pic of the nozzle - 55-57 T-bird:

Old 03-29-2009, 11:27 PM
Abomination
Senior User
Oh yeah - I'm an options junkie!

My F2 is going to be purpose-built, and I want it to be comfortable, you know? I'd like to haul a flatbed with a car on it once or twice a year. I'd like to drive it on the highway and not have it suck gas. And the rest of the time I'll be hauling motors, couches and TVs - stuff like that, you know?

From the '68 F250 Dana 60 in the rear, to the 331 Industrial Hemi, rockin' a 2-bbl carb and backed by an A-833 4-speed, I'd like to think I'm well on my way towards my goal.

I should post some pics...

~Jason

Yep, new stickers. The washer was installed in the truck when we bought it. That doesn't mean it's stock though. Here are pictures of the nozzles. I'll take one of the foot pump tomorrow - too dark tonight.

You sound like an options junky!

Me too! I love them and have just about all I could find on my truck!!!! Full front tilt, washers, heaters, FOUR horns (and maybe you noticed the siren but don't tell anyone) cowl vent for the heater, sun visor, spotlights, 3 tooth and 5 tooth grilles, spare tire carrier (with chrome Continental Kit), YOM plates, etc. etc.

Here's the pic, it's the little stainless thingy in the blue area:

Here's another shot after I reprimed the cowl and cab...very clean looking don't you think?:

Here's a catalogue pic of the nozzle - 55-57 T-bird:

Old 03-29-2009, 11:42 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Alright... here we go. This post is loaded with pictures, so please be patient.

The complete kit (less instructions, if there were any)

Bottle bracket

Bottle

Nozzle (not sure if there were one or two in the kit)

Misc parts for installation

Hose for foot pump and nozzle

Foot pump

Top of bottle

Bottle in bracket

Box

And, in case one of your future posts will be about radios, I'd figure that I'd also show you an NOS Radio Adapter Kit to install a radio in a 51 truck. This box is sealed and will remain that way.

Old 03-29-2009, 11:45 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend

It works great!
Julie, I'm not sure that your set up is a FOMOCO product. Looks to be a close aftermarket type unit...???? The FOMOCO sticker is definately period-correct.

Can you post a profile shot of how the unit attached to the firewall?

Thanks.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:06 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Yeah I think I have a profle view. I think it's a dealer installed kit from Trico!

Hey also the pictures you posted this time are of a different kit. I like this one even better! VERY NICE!

It's funny how these are all getting out of order, we are all typing at the same time and not seeing what the other is doing!

This is the best profile pic I've got.

Gettin ginto the galleries anymore with all the animated advertising BS is getting to be a real pain - I have to constantly "refresh" just to get the picutres to appear because the computer is trying to digest animation!

Old 03-30-2009, 12:11 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Yeah I think I have a profle view. I think it's a dealer installed kit from Trico!

Hey also the pictures you posted this time are of a different kit. I like this one even better! VERY NICE!
It does look like a Trico kit. I don't think that Ford would tool up two different kits.

I've had the NOS kits for a 56 and the correct 48 - 55 (??) kits. I got the 56 kit before getting the correct 48-52 kit. Not needing the 56 kit, I sold it to Sy Miller when he asked if anyone had one.

Quick Reply: '48 - '52 Windshield washer