1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

need help finding vin# on 1952 F-1 Canadian/Australian

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 02:39 AM
racer135
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need help finding vin# on 1952 F-1 Canadian/Australian

Well, my search has been hindered by missing ID plate in glovebox and on firewall, the number on drivers side (it's a RHD) chassis rail in engine bay was stupidly placed (under flexy brake hose junction mount on top of chassis rail) and stamped in too lightly (can only just read about 2-3 numerals).

I think it may be either an Australian, or Canadian truck because:
1. The heads on the flathead v8 have "made in canada" on em

2. A majority of older f-trucks were imported here to Australia (my father's 1975 f-100 included) from Canada

3. There's a load carrying caution plate above the windscreen inside the cab with Ford Motor Company Australia printed on it.

Only things i have for sure are the numbers stamped into firewall on passengers side (just a reminder, IT"S RHD) above inner fender, a few inches to the left of the hood hinge (can anyone decode them for me?), and that load plate i mentioned earlier. I have photos of them here:

www.cardomain.com/ride/3116819

Know where else there might be some numbers hiding?

Old 03-30-2009, 12:57 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
HI Racer!

Wow this one got pushed down to the buttom of the bottom of the list fast - I completely missed it.

I can tell you that by owning operators manuals for both American made F1s and Canadian made F1s that on an American truck, the frame location for the serial number is "Advertised" to be on the right (passenger side) frame rail. Mine is American made adn it is on the left rail - always exceptions.

Canadian built trucks the location is advertised to be on the LEFT frame rail. You have found it there so it sort of confirms a Canadian built truck.

I looked at your numbers on your web page and the 2Cxxxx means it is a 1952 and the "C" is the catalogue designation for a 1/2 ton pick-up. I couldn't read the rest. There should be an "R" in there someplace to designate your 239 flathead V8, and if there are any other letters, they the assembly plant. Any more numbers (five of them) are the serial number - sounds like you have three of them from the frame.

But here is an excellent web site for decoding Canadian truck Serial Numbers:

1948 thru 1951 Canadian VIN Plate

I'm not sure the sequencing is the same for 52 as the 51. But here is the American made 52 chart just to give you an idea of what the letters and stuff mean:

You can look in my gallery #1 at the buttom pic for a full size version. And althoughthe Search function has become almost useless here, you might want to try a search by typing in "VIN HELP" be sure and include the quotation marks.

Old 10-30-2022, 05:03 AM
Brendanskiba
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vin Help

Hello,
I can’t seem to find any database to decode a vin , compliance plate or engine number from an f1 I have just purchased. I would love to know the history of this car. Ford Australia cannot help as they do not have records going that far back

The Vin is 7C811602
The Engine Number 8J2585

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Brendan

Originally Posted by Julies Cool F1
HI Racer!

Wow this one got pushed down to the buttom of the bottom of the list fast - I completely missed it.

I can tell you that by owning operators manuals for both American made F1s and Canadian made F1s that on an American truck, the frame location for the serial number is "Advertised" to be on the right (passenger side) frame rail. Mine is American made adn it is on the left rail - always exceptions.

Canadian built trucks the location is advertised to be on the LEFT frame rail. You have found it there so it sort of confirms a Canadian built truck.

I looked at your numbers on your web page and the 2Cxxxx means it is a 1952 and the "C" is the catalogue designation for a 1/2 ton pick-up. I couldn't read the rest. There should be an "R" in there someplace to designate your 239 flathead V8, and if there are any other letters, they the assembly plant. Any more numbers (five of them) are the serial number - sounds like you have three of them from the frame.

But here is an excellent web site for decoding Canadian truck Serial Numbers:

1948 thru 1951 Canadian VIN Plate

I'm not sure the sequencing is the same for 52 as the 51. But here is the American made 52 chart just to give you an idea of what the letters and stuff mean:

You can look in my gallery #1 at the buttom pic for a full size version. And althoughthe Search function has become almost useless here, you might want to try a search by typing in "VIN HELP" be sure and include the quotation marks.

Old 10-30-2022, 01:29 PM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 332 Likes on 256 Posts
Welcome!
Julie isn't around here anymore.

Is this a car or a truck? Serial numbers for cars vs trucks are very different. Where is your 'VIN' stamped - on the frame rail or somewhere else?
What year do you believe it to be? Title or paperwork?

If it's a truck, the engine number "J" indicates 239 flathead V8 with a 4 spd transmission.

Old 10-31-2022, 08:30 PM
KirkF
Tuned
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts
This is the Canadian VIN information thread.
If there is any information to decode your vin it will be in here:

The Canadian Vin Info Thread - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (ford-trucks.com)

Although the truck would have been shipped as parts from the Canadian plants, I do not know if Australia added their own VIN when they assembled the truck, or if Canada stamped the chassis with a VIN when it was shipped.

Kirk